Glastonbury 2014

Xann

As my mate put it in an email to me this morning:

"Did you read them going about how it's good that they were on after the Black Keys, coz after the "retro rock" you then got the "future rock"...

If future rock means a cross between Mansun and 'Xtrmntr'-era Primal Scream, with an added fake Mancunian swagger... then the future's not for me"

As my mate put it in an email to me this morning:

"Did you read them going about how it's good that they were on after the Black Keys, coz after the "retro rock" you then got the "future rock"...

If future rock means a cross between Mansun and 'Xtrmntr'-era Primal Scream, with an added fake Mancunian swagger... then the future's not for me"

The Black Keys kinda prove my point. I like them, I know where they come from but its not really exploiting music I grew up with, its taking from something much further back, music I like but don't have that emotional attachment to. The time difference between then and now is bigger plus they add enough of themselves in there to make it work

• Like 1

Yeah, I totally agree, Bicks. I think the point my mate was making is how preposterous it is, for them to dub themselves as "future rock", when they're absolutely derivative, and have zero original ideas.

Did anyone catch their (Tom and Serge) "interview" with BBC Three, after the gig? They come across like a pair of absolute goons. Like two Liam Gallaghers, but with out the warmth and charm.

"Yeah, we smashed it, man! You ain't getting better than that, man!"

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

Below what age? I'm 31, so hardly a callow youth. I enjoy their music, not because I am young and stupid and don't know any better, but because it sounds good to me. Because the songs remind of me of certain points in my life and so, as well as sounding good to me, evoke nostalgia.

So you'd have been 20 when their debut came out… puts you right in there with the age group I'm talking about.

EDIT: Not sure I mentioned anyone being young or stupid or not knowing any better, the fact you say that though means you haven't really understood what I'm on about

I've enjoyed a few things that I've seen/heard, including Rodrigo y Gabriella, Clean Bandit (nice to hear the cover of Show Me Love - had I been drunk I may have jumped up and jumped around the living room!) and Sean Kuti.

Hopefully all the sets will be on iplayer for the week or more so I can have a good trawl through them.

I was watching a couple on the iplayer via the telly last night (Anna Calvi and Interpol - both really excellent) and the window thing said available until 28 July.

Cheers, Pete.

I was going to mention that I much prefer the black keys to kasabian. The black keys are a really good band and they are very retro, infact kasabian piss me off because as been previously posted they try and come across like the gallagher brothers. Sorry lads but its already been done and played to death that image has.

Yeah, I totally agree, Bicks. I think the point my mate was making is how preposterous it is, for them to dub themselves as "future rock", when they're absolutely derivative, and have zero original ideas.

Did anyone catch their (Tom and Serge) "interview" with BBC Three, after the gig? They come across like a pair of absolute goons. Like two Liam Gallaghers, but with out the warmth and charm.

"Yeah, we smashed it, man! You ain't getting better than that, man!"

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

It must gall them massively that all the newspapers are putting Dolly on the cover.

She doesnt mime (edited afterwards) all the time, vocally, a friend saw her in an arena and she changed lyrics in one of her songs to reference something on this tour. What I got from the footage though is she definitely wasnt playing that fiddle, thats a guarantee, the alto sax, I was sat with someone that plays sax and he said she aint playing it. 

Edited by Seat68

TBH I just don't *get* country music. I find it grating, like Quint dragging his nails on a chalkboard in Jaws.

See there's that genre thing again. You don't *get* country, does that include Johnny Cash Country? Ryan Adams Country, Hank Williams Country? Tammy Wynette Country?

Its way from my favourite sort of music but like most genres theres good and bad

I recall having a rather anti Country stance, when I was younger, and didn't really get it. I think getting into Americana and Alt Country turned me on to the source. I always liked Southern Rock too, so the leap didn't seem that great in the end. I still don't like the "Garth Brooks" style stuff, but I've grown a great appreciation and love for stuff like Cash, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Buck Owens etc.

• Like 2

Â