The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Its a difficult one @StefanAVFC. Stress is like the new 'bad back'. Its difficult to separate the chancers from the genuine. You need to give people the benefit of the doubt. 

On one hand it sounds she wants time off to finish her dissertation. On the other hand, she may be suffering inside and have personal demons. Just need to do everything by the book. 

I've seen extreme evidences of both in my place. People so stressed they've seriously considered suicide and others completely rinsing the very good sick pay/income protection benefits we have. 

The joys of people management! 

• Like 1

Thanks all, great advice. 

One more thing, she never once mentioned she was struggling, never once asked for time off, a break; anything. That annoys me too because i have an incredibly open door policy (to my detriment sometimes!)

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Thanks all, great advice. 

One more thing, she never once mentioned she was struggling, never once asked for time off, a break; anything. That annoys me too because i have an incredibly open door policy (to my detriment sometimes!)

Potentially a pride issue with that as a lot of people won't say anything until they reach crisis point. I stuggled to admit I had issues when I was gripped by depression and extreme anxiety a few years back. 

Has she said what her plans are post dissertation, is she staying with your company or using it to get a better job elsewhere? How much info are you getting from her and how much from her friend? 

Feel for you though as a very tricky situation and I'm glad I don't do people management anymore. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Potentially a pride issue with that as a lot of people won't say anything until they reach crisis point. I stuggled to admit I had issues when I was gripped by depression and extreme anxiety a few years back. 

Has she said what her plans are post dissertation, is she staying with your company or using it to get a better job elsewhere? How much info are you getting from her and how much from her friend? 

Feel for you though as a very tricky situation and I'm glad I don't do people management anymore. 

This work is application developer. We take internal people from Service Desk enrolments as juniors, and train them up. I'm pretty sure her studies are in English, so there isn't a job she'd get that's better, with that degree.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This work is application developer. We take internal people from Service Desk enrolments as juniors, and train them up. I'm pretty sure her studies are in English, so there isn't a job she'd get that's better, with that degree.

Well thanks for dumping all over my English degree. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I stood my ground on this one. Laid out what I wanted and my director (the one who wants me to go with him to do the job) has basically agreed I should be getting a raise to do the job, so he's going to have the conversation with the powers that be. No guarantee of anything yet but sounds positive!

Well done bud.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get the raise you deserve. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well done bud.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get the raise you deserve. 

Cheers mate!

Still might not happen. The business case is still up for approval and if it doesn't get approved then obviously there's no job. But sounds promising and it'll be an exciting role if it comes off. Quietly confident

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Well thanks for dumping all over my English degree. 

I dread to ask his opinion of my city and guilds in leisure centre management! 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Got offered a new job today. Basically a better title, more money, but I will have to travel more, substantially longer commute to the office, more responsibility and have to be a discipline leader basically - so more staff work.

I really don't know what to think of it. It will probably be challenging and lot of work, but more money is nice. I have to push myself and get out of my comfort zone. At the same I have a good job and make good money where I am currently.

It's difficult to up root a place you are doing alright and is well set so to speak.

Was surprised by them asking me directly about my current salary. I decided to hold that private, but don't know if that was the right choice.

Oh well, will know more next week with another interview coming up.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Got offered a new job today. Basically a better title, more money, but I will have to travel more, substantially longer commute to the office, more responsibility and have to be a discipline leader basically - so more staff work.

Remote working completely out of the question?  Surely the last year and bit have proved (unless the nature of the work makes it a practical impossibility) that WFH is entirely feasible and beneficial to all parties.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Remote working completely out of the question?  Surely the last year and bit have proved (unless the nature of the work makes it a practical impossibility) that WFH is entirely feasible and beneficial to all parties.

No not really. Ofc. some work os doable, but it's big construction works so I need to be some what on site.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heavily considering and have done the reading on Full-Time Soldier Training with the Australian Defense Force.

In other news, work in the mental health sector is going well, I proposed some ideas and plans on how Melbourne's biggest and best hospital can and should liaise with the YMCA and a clinic for mental health that caters to Melbourne's western suburbs, to better patient lives. It was so well received, and all three will work to implement my plans.

Basketball career is interesting. I'm still in the semi pro's in Australia's third tier. Currently banging on the door for a look in as a starter, but it has been and will continue to be a challenging scenario, as the club have brought in multiple players on big money contracts in my position, there's also the captain in my position, and a paid import who played college with success in the USA. Regardless of whether or not I get a proper look in and hold it down or not, I'm loving playing for the club I'm at. Great people, I return to the rainforest I grew up in three times a week (albeit travel times aren't great), and we are firm title contenders this season.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 4

2 separate companies have contacted me today through LinkedIn asking for a chat about roles at their companies.

Sounds exciting but feels like I have more to lose than gain switching jobs now. 

Things I learned today: While workplace shit often does roll downhill, it turns out quite a lot of it doesn't get all the way down. "Hey, can you put some slides together on the plan you don't have, for the job you haven't started yet? It's for the board, can you present it tomorrow?".

I'm opening a beer, and considering how bad it'd be to quit a job before I've started it.

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Things I learned today: While workplace shit often does roll downhill, it turns out quite a lot of it doesn't get all the way down. "Hey, can you put some slides together on the plan you don't have, for the job you haven't started yet? It's for the board, can you present it tomorrow?".

I'm opening a beer, and considering how bad it'd be to quit a job before I've started it.

They're asking to to work before you officially start?! Have you left your old job yet?

Just now, Xela said:

They're asking to to work before you officially start?! Have you left your old job yet?

It's for the same company, to be fair, so I'm being paid, but I'm meant to be documenting things and onboarding my replacement, not covering management's arse that they've got no idea wtf is going on and the best source of info is a guy not even working on the project yet.

Unfortunately it's a director that asked me to do it so "**** off and let me finish my current job" probably isn't an acceptable response.

• Like 1

I changed job in December. I need to change again, this new place doesn't work for me. I was at my old job in 9 years so not looking forward to more interviews and maybe even tests.

• Like 1

Â