The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think I've seen a couple of posties on here, I was just wondering whenever I look online for postman jobs it says part-time 27.5 hour weeks, is there usually overtime available to bump it up to 40 hours or so per week?

I believe the postman jobs now are saturated. My mate is a postie, to be fair haven't really seen him since lockdown, but last time I spoke to him they were letting people go, so not sure on the situation now, overtime was sparse though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think I've seen a couple of posties on here, I was just wondering whenever I look online for postman jobs it says part-time 27.5 hour weeks, is there usually overtime available to bump it up to 40 hours or so per week?

I became a postman  2 1/2 years ago. My contract is 30hours. It does vary a lot from office to office. After a fair while of just doing my 30hours at the start, I managed to increase it to full time 39 hours plus an extra 3 hours collecting on a Friday afternoon.

I then relocated in August to buy a house and transferred office. It's a bit hit and miss whether I work full time hours at the moment. There is overtime available if I wanted it, as there are local offices that are struggling but this would be after my normal shift had finished or working days off. So I don't tend to push for it as I usually have the kids to sort out.

In my current office I work 6 days for 5 weeks then have a week off. So this week and holiday I'll only get my paid my part time 30hours. Although the week off does allow for overtime if they need someone. 

So I can only talk for the 2 offices I've worked in but yes you can bump it up but can depend on office, you may need to push for it, and some people tend to get asked first, but if you're reliable and keen you can ensure the manager thinks of you early on.

Things can change though, like early on in lockdown, with loads going off to isolate. They panicked on staffing cost, with all the sick pay and the cost of covering them, they cut all overtime. It didn't last long as offices were struggling so much.

• Thanks 1

My assumption here in Stafford was up until about 4 weeks ago post workers were doing double shifts as we were getting our post at around 5. Now it seems like its back to normal. 

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My assumption here in Stafford was up until about 4 weeks ago post workers were doing double shifts as we were getting our post at around 5. Now it seems like its back to normal. 

My old place did staggered shifts for social distancing. Some finished at 1330 others 1630 and some at 1830. So may have been something like that or may have been down to work load.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I became a postman  2 1/2 years ago. My contract is 30hours. It does vary a lot from office to office. After a fair while of just doing my 30hours at the start, I managed to increase it to full time 39 hours plus an extra 3 hours collecting on a Friday afternoon.

I then relocated in August to buy a house and transferred office. It's a bit hit and miss whether I work full time hours at the moment. There is overtime available if I wanted it, as there are local offices that are struggling but this would be after my normal shift had finished or working days off. So I don't tend to push for it as I usually have the kids to sort out.

In my current office I work 6 days for 5 weeks then have a week off. So this week and holiday I'll only get my paid my part time 30hours. Although the week off does allow for overtime if they need someone. 

So I can only talk for the 2 offices I've worked in but yes you can bump it up but can depend on office, you may need to push for it, and some people tend to get asked first, but if you're reliable and keen you can ensure the manager thinks of you early on.

Things can change though, like early on in lockdown, with loads going off to isolate. They panicked on staffing cost, with all the sick pay and the cost of covering them, they cut all overtime. It didn't last long as offices were struggling so much.

Thanks for that, sounds like what I was expecting 👍

My mate, after he got redundancy at my place, was a postie for 6 months. They never took him on past his probation period as he'd had too much time off sick with a recurrence of an old back injury. 

I was surprised at the amount of miles he was covering a day! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

My mate, after he got redundancy at my place, was a postie for 6 months. They never took him on past his probation period as he'd had too much time off sick with a recurrence of an old back injury. 

I was surprised at the amount of miles he was covering a day! 

I was a postie once for about 2 months over the festive period and the first weeks almost killed me!  Obviously trying to clear the backlog (hence the extra staff) but it was a bit intense.  I was fitter than a butcher's dog by the end of it mind.  In the end I became to love it and if there was one profession I could do again if it wasn't for pay and job security etc, I would jump at it in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

I think I’d like to be a postie too. I don’t mind an early start/early finish.

I guess it’s ok saying that this time of year, I bet it’s grim in the depths of winter.

I've only done 3 winters but generally the weather doesn't bother me. There's been about 3 VERY wet, cold, windy days, where it's been a pretty horrible experience.

It has been a good move for me, I got a new job, which I didn't enjoy at all. So was looking for something else a few months later and got out after a year. Like many it's a job I thought, I could do that's, so thought why not go for it. It's been great allowing me to spend time with the family (I was hardly seeing kids in previous role apart from days off), even though since I changed offices I work 6 days a week (with a full week off every 6 weeks) it's still great.

I'm now starting to think about what I am doing career wise. As I said it's been great family wise and improved my health but I do feel like I need something more. More money would be nice too, although it's not too bad pay for what it is.

Also from about 6 months in I started suffering from Plantar Fasciitis. Which I've been managing, and it didn't really affect me while working, it was more after work and in the morning. More recently there's been times where I start to struggle after about 3 hours. If I can't get it under control I will have to find something else anyway. I'm off for 2 weeks now so at least I can give my foot a bit of a rest.

Just checked and I walk an average of over 10miles a day. Which is my overall average including days off. One day last week I walked 21 miles, throughout the day.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2

On 18/06/2021 at 13:40, Davkaus said:

Should have listened to my gut. 3 days in, the team is chaos, the job shouldn't need to exist, there's been literally no onboarding, and the problem I'm meant to be here to solve should be way down their list of priorities because I can't give good output when what's fed in to me is complete bullshit. Nobody was expecting me and I just had to start gatecrashing meetings. 

Genuinely thinking of quitting already, but I'm going to give it a month, wait until a couple more people are recruited, and see if there's a plan. Keeping one eye on jobsites already, gutted that I backed out of another role at another company out of loyalty to my current organisation when this is the shitshow they've thrown me into.

So I have an interview tomorrow. I really want to get out, but I am absolutely dreading the talk of "Sorry, thanks for the opportunity, but it isn't for me, so I'm off" less than a month in (all being well). That is going to be one of the most awkward professional calls I've ever had to make.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So I have an interview tomorrow. I really want to get out, but I am absolutely dreading the talk of "Sorry, thanks for the opportunity, but it isn't for me, so I'm off" less than a month in (all being well). That is going to be one of the most awkward professional calls I've ever had to make.

Good luck.

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If the job wasn't as advertised then there is your reason. Obviously you don't want to burn any bridges but politely pointing out that the job isn't what you signed up for is justification.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

If you're still under probation then there shouldn't really be any awkwardness as it's designed for you as well as them to suss things out.  Good luck with the interview.

It was an internal move, which makes it a bit more awkward.

Essentially, had enough of my old job. Resigned. They countered and offered me a promotion with a ridiculous (about 50%) payrise. I accepted, thinking the new team couldn't be as big a circus as my old one. Oh boy, was I wrong. 

A former boss contacted me a few weeks ago about a role in his departement. Have gone through all the recruitment with interviews and all. I did a very good interview. Known the man for almost 10 years and today he texted me and told me that they went with another candidate. Feels nice with a knife in your back. A text message you pathetic little shit?

• Sad 1

Theres a few automotive companies recruiting at the moment and I’m getting a few messages on LinkedIn from recruiters.

Whilst my job is majorly boring and the wider part of the business I'm in is a shit show my salary to hassle ratio can’t be matched which makes it all the more frustrating.

Â