The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

You generally get 3 months from any changes to your contract during which you can still appeal to a tribunal if it comes to it. I would advise putting any grievance in writing at the earliest opportunity. Your employer - unless there are variation terms or you have a union doing things for you - must consult with you over any changes to your contract. By saying nothing and continuing to work you are accepting the changes to your contract. You can work under grievance for a short time but the earlier after any changes are made a written complaint can be seen the better it looks in a tribunal. 

After agreeing to any changes they should update your contract and write to you within 1 month informing you of the changes to your employment.

ACAS have been helpful to me in the past - http://www.acas.org.uk

Free and impartial advice service.

Having both been consulted on and having agreed the changes though I'd agree that getting your potential new employer to cover any severance pay would be the easiest and least messy route at this point it would seem from the outside. ACAS will probably be able to tell you if there's anything you can do though.

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

For the first time in ten years I am actively seeking work. Time to move on. I have a phone interview today. 

That went well, I am to expect an email for a face to face interview.

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:45, desensitized43 said:

Hi All. Need a little bit of advice on how to handle a delicate situation at work...

I went on a training course provided by the company in January which I'd originally asked for in June last year. The company needed a certain number of employees with this qualification to achieve their desired partner status, with a handy discount on a product we sell. When I got back after getting the qualification I was asked to a meeting with my manager to be asked to sign a form stating that the company would charge me £1200 if I left within 6 months, then halving and again after another 3 months. At no time before this did they mention this to me.

I've been contacted in the last few days by a former employer and offered a lot more money and a step up in terms of seniority to go back. I'd like to go. I do have the £1200 so it's not like it's going to wipe out the bank balance but how enforceable is the agreement I signed? Can I contest it on the basis I was only made aware of the cost AFTER they sent me on the course?

Thanks in advance.

they appear to have taken advice on this as they've adopted the sliding scale principal which most firms adopt regarding training ... so they should also be aware it's only enforceable if it's signed prior to training , if you did not enter into a formal agreement before you started the training,  then they won't be able  to claim back the money  invested in you...

if they deduct it from your final pay packet which they might decide to do , then you'll have to go after them through small claims courts etc

• Like 2

After finishing university last year, I have finally just landed my first job. I'll be moving to Leeds and living on my own for the very first time. The salary is poor, but it's a job that suits me perfectly and I can't wait to start my career. 

How much should I be spending on rent per month, in relation to my salary?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

After finishing university last year, I have finally just landed my first job. I'll be moving to Leeds and living on my own for the very first time. The salary is poor, but it's a job that suits me perfectly and I can't wait to start my career. 

How much should I be spending on rent per month, in relation to my salary?

I'd say anything more than 35% would be classed as 'rent poverty'. No idea how much your salary is but it shouldn't be hard to get a flat/house share in Leeds for £500 (or less) PCM including bills. It really depends on how you want to live though, it's often the case that it is worth paying more for your own place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

They kept me waiting for the face to face interview but I have it on Wednesday in Birmingham. I like the fact they asked if I wanted to do it after work. So an interview 5pm on Wednesday. 

Leave plenty of time, traffic can be a right bitch from 4pm onwards. 

• Like 1

I stared working as a chef at a pretty nice restaurant (nothing fancy, but good "pub food and steaks) in mid October after the bakery I worked closed down.

I have no schooling as a chef or any such education, I do however have a genuine cooking interest and has had for 20 years or so.

Anyway a friend of mine is part owner of the place and when they needed and extra hand in the kitchen he asked me.

So i started there with the aim to learn while I worked, the head chef was a guy from London who's worked at a couple of Michelin. star places for 15 years.

But after new year he abruptly quit so the sous chef had to step in and act as head chef and I took his place.

But then this Tuesday he suddenly quit as well because he couldn't handle the pressure and now I'm alone in the kitchen with a guy who's still in school and whoever we can get to come in and help out.

I'm way, way over my head. Can't sleep and is stressing every waking moment.

Not only did I have to take over the grill (something I've done 3 times before Wednesday) I also have to to the inventory, all the prep, handle the other "chefs" who are both pretty new in the kitchen, make sure everything is on point, do the shopping for next week, come up with a new dish for next weeks Lunch, and a thousand things more.

On top of that the guy who just came in this week already has a new job so we'll be a man short again next week.

Honestly thinking about quitting because I'm already mentally drained and feel sick. But I also don't wan't to leave them as they did give me a chance and put a lot of faith in me...

Edited by sne

They're taking the piss, I'd have a chat with your mate and if he doesn't sort it out asap, I'd be out the door without a second thought.

It's one thing needing you to fill in, and keep the place ticking over as best you can, but they can't go from a proper head chef, to some self-taught dude with no experience and expect you to start putting new dishes together ffs. You're not a chef!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're taking the piss, I'd have a chat with your mate and if he doesn't sort it out asap, I'd be out the door without a second thought.

It's one thing needing you to fill in, and keep the place ticking over as best you can, but they can't go from a proper head chef, to some self-taught dude with no experience and expect you to start putting new dishes together ffs. You're not a chef!

Thank's!

Yeah I'm going to have a talk with them today and tell them I'm not going to do it for another week.

It's killing me as I don't have the personality to just go though the motions. I take it too hard when/if something should go wrong.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Thank's!

Yeah I'm going to have a talk with them today and tell them I'm not going to do it for another week.

It's killing me as I don't have the personality to just go though the motions. I take it too hard when/if something should go wrong.

Yeah you have to tell them. Just be totally honest. 

Tell them you’re grateful they gave you a chance, you like working there and you’re thankful that they put faith in you to step up, but that you need help as you can’t handle it on your own. 

If they have any sense they’ll listen. Because if you quit it just puts them further in the shit. 

It could be that they genuinely don’t realise you’re struggling. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah you have to tell them. Just be totally honest. 

Tell them you’re grateful they gave you a chance, you like working there and you’re thankful that they put faith in you to step up, but that you need help as you can’t handle it on your own. 

If they have any sense they’ll listen. Because if you quit it just puts them further in the shit. 

It could be that they genuinely don’t realise you’re struggling. 

Beat me to it Stevo, my sentiments exactly.

But if it falls on deaf ears so to speak then yeah GTFO for your own health and sanity.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

One thing I’ve learned at work is that you need to tell people what you want. 

Promotion, new employees, help, more work etc

seldom do things get handed to you. Getting stuff out in the open is always the best way and decent bosses and employees will work with you to get what you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

One thing I’ve learned at work is that you need to tell people what you want. 

Promotion, new employees, help, more work etc

seldom do things get handed to you. Getting stuff out in the open is always the best way and decent bosses and employees will work with you to get what you want. 

Good advice, and advice I need to take and do to be honest. 

I always get "the fear" about these things though because I've been made redundant so many times.  I'm the kind now that puts up and shuts up so I don't cause any inconvenience, and it's not healthy and won't get me anywhere.

Gonna try when I'm back in work.

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Good advice, and advice I need to take and do to be honest. 

I always get "the fear" about these things though because I've been made redundant so many times.  I'm the kind now that puts up and shuts up so I don't cause any inconvenience, and it's not healthy and won't get me anywhere.

Gonna try when I'm back in work.

Best advice I ever took. 

Especially if you’re quiet, like I tend to be at work, people think you’re happy to just tick over doing the same job in the same conditions. 

Once they know you have a goal they tend to help you towards it. 

I went 6 years at JLR without a promotion. I finally told my boss I wanted one and 6 months later I had it. It wasn’t handed to me, I had to meet targets and goals to get there but if I hadn’t told him he’d have just let me get on with it. 

I think unless you’re a high flyer, in the workplace you just have to get things like that out in the open. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Best advice I ever took. 

Especially if you’re quiet, like I tend to be at work, people think you’re happy to just tick over doing the same job in the same conditions. 

Once they know you have a goal they tend to help you towards it. 

I went 6 years at JLR without a promotion. I finally told my boss I wanted one and 6 months later I had it. It wasn’t handed to me, I had to meet targets and goals to get there but if I hadn’t told him he’d have just let me get on with it. 

I think unless you’re a high flyer, in the workplace you just have to get things like that out in the open. 

Cheers mate. 

That said, if I'm out of a job come Tuesday, I'll get Jono to give me your address! :lol:

Â