The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

• 3 weeks later...

@Demitri_C thought I'd take it to careers thread.

Very good points. I guess we start with what are your interests? There are plenty of free courses online, so if you can sacrifice about a hour a night after work might help. I am doing a IT developer beginners course when online at home  for 30-60mins a day midweek. I am committing one hour  of TV time to better myself (hopefully for the future) if you have the hunger and desire you will find what it is you are looking for!

I regret not considering doing a trade at all when I was younger. I was always expected to go the academic route but I suppose towards the end of school and certainly after, jacked it all off to go out a lot as well as smoking a lot of weed.

Sorted myself out and now working in catering starting out as a chef and now front of house management. 

Ideally I want a job that has something I can focus on doing myself rather than constant people management.

I think what I would like to do is an account manager role in the food or drink industry, as that does allow me to use some of what I know and not a complete career change. It's just I don'y have a huge amount of sales experience on my CV and what I do is reactive. So in terms of that role I need to try and get some experience and increase my commercial awareness. 

Other than that, course wise I can only think of doing something in finance/accounting at least that might give me options where I work if I don't sort anything new in the mean time.

My IT knowhow is fairly limited so that's probably not an option.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

@Demitri_C thought I'd take it to careers thread.

I regret not considering doing a trade at all when I was younger. I was always expected to go the academic route but I suppose towards the end of school and certainly after, jacked it all off to go out a lot as well as smoking a lot of weed.

Sorted myself out and now working in catering starting out as a chef and now front of house management. 

Ideally I want a job that has something I can focus on doing myself rather than constant people management.

I think what I would like to do is an account manager role in the food or drink industry, as that does allow me to use some of what I know and not a complete career change. It's just I don'y have a huge amount of sales experience on my CV and what I do is reactive. So in terms of that role I need to try and get some experience and increase my commercial awareness. 

Other than that, course wise I can only think of doing something in finance/accounting at least that might give me options where I work if I don't sort anything new in the mean time.

My IT knowhow is fairly limited so that's probably not an option.

I never knew this thread existed! Thanks for bringing here :) Mate I dont want to be negative but I can only go on accountants I know they absolutely detest their job and wish they didn't waste so much time becoming qualified as hasn't been worth it now stuck in jobs they hate. Of course it could be just them and perosnal circumstance.

Sounds liek you have a lot of skills so i think you will be ok. You can go down a number of different routes.

As for me 

. I think I am going to complete this developer course, said I was going to do half hour yesterday but ended up doing 2 hours!

The good thing is it doesn't let you go to next part unless you complete the task so you learning. If you make a mistake it lets you refresh the task

Think I am going to take a hit for 6 months slightly lower wage on a junior developer role but then once built up a portfolio and a bit experience can make some serious cash it looks like 

Accountancy appears to be a bit of a slow death but at least it's a profession and in principle gives you the security of not having to worry too much about finding a job. Although long term you can imagine that a lot of accountancy and auditing jobs will be automated out of existence. It won't be that hard to do.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I never knew this thread existed! Thanks for bringing here :) Mate I dont want to be negative but I can only go on accountants I know they absolutely detest their job and wish they didn't waste so much time becoming qualified as hasn't been worth it now stuck in jobs they hate. Of course it could be just them and perosnal circumstance.

Sounds liek you have a lot of skills so i think you will be ok. You can go down a number of different routes.

As for me 

. I think I am going to complete this developer course, said I was going to do half hour yesterday but ended up doing 2 hours!

The good thing is it doesn't let you go to next part unless you complete the task so you learning. If you make a mistake it lets you refresh the task

Think I am going to take a hit for 6 months slightly lower wage on a junior developer role but then once built up a portfolio and a bit experience can make some serious cash it looks like 

:thumb: Yes it's the thread which makes me really jealous of those getting new jobs and doing jobs they love.

Sitting at a desk all day and in front of a PC is the most off putting bit of going in a financial direction. Plus I'm probably nearly 17 stone, have an active job and cycle 14 miles a day, god knows what I'd be like if I sat at a desk.

Just need that break in an account manager type role but struggling getting to the interview stage in that. A couple of applications went of yesterday.

22 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

:thumb: Yes it's the thread which makes me really jealous of those getting new jobs and doing jobs they love.

Sitting at a desk all day and in front of a PC is the most off putting bit of going in a financial direction. Plus I'm probably nearly 17 stone, have an active job and cycle 14 miles a day, god knows what I'd be like if I sat at a desk.

Just need that break in an account manager type role but struggling getting to the interview stage in that. A couple of applications went of yesterday.

I always say dont be too demoralised when you get rejection emails/dont hear back. Something eventually does pop up. I think you will be fine you sound like a active person who has a lot of experience.

I can give a example, I thought when my mate suggested IT developer how the hell am I going to manage that. But when I sat down and started going through the HTML part of the course so far its been not difficult at all. Understanding the structure and what all the code mean to develop <p></p> for example as a opening and closing tag for a paragraph on a page.

Hopefully it continues like this as I really have had enough of the NHS and the bolitics here 

By all means, if you're not happy in your current role and have a real interest in development, go for it, but the grass certainly isn't always greener.

My current place is brilliant, but there's no lack of software houses where you'll be frustrated by the same politics and shitty management.

I also think you might have unrealistic expectations expecting to go in as a rookie then be earning serious money after 6 months unless you're ridiculously talented. There's good money in development, but there's no lack of junior devs with no experience who'll work for shit money, and it takes a lot of graft to get to the point where you can start looking at positions above a junior level.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I always say dont be too demoralised when you get rejection emails/dont hear back. Something eventually does pop up. I think you will be fine you sound like a active person who has a lot of experience.

I can give a example, I thought when my mate suggested IT developer how the hell am I going to manage that. But when I sat down and started going through the HTML part of the course so far its been not difficult at all. Understanding the structure and what all the code mean to develop <p></p> for example as a opening and closing tag for a paragraph on a page.

Hopefully it continues like this as I really have had enough of the NHS and the bolitics here 

I find Job hunting extremely frustrating at times whether its not hearing back or unsuccesful interviews but will always keep plugging away.

All this talk of careers, I've had an email this morning from a company I had an interview with back in October to say they are recruiting for the same role again, so its either working side by side with the succesful person then. or most likely they've either progessed or moved on. They cited a lack of experience in a certain area before and not much has changed for me since then, but will certainly follow it up.

On 05/07/2017 at 07:11, leemond2008 said:

I'm currentlydoing everything possible to get out of my job.

They have just cut out department down from 80 people to 45 and now the people that stayed are leaving in their droves.

We are supposed to have a maximum case load of 160 injury claims, I'm currently on 240, it's ridiculous, it'll only be a matter of time before they scrap the whole department.

I really want to get out of the insurance game, I'm waiting for a call back from the police about a job as a dispatch officer which would be a few grand more.

I've also applied for a few jobs in transport management, is piss that job because I did something similar for over 10 years and that would see my money jump up by about 3 or 4k a year.

Only problem at the minute is trying to make it through each day at my current company.

Only just seen this. Which insurance company you at?

If you don't mind staying in insurance, company I'm at are looking for PI handlers

On 06/07/2017 at 13:24, Stevo985 said:

Only if they specifically ask you about it.

Don't lie about it, but don't volunteer the information unless you're required to.

Good advice.

But on that, I am submitting an application for a role (unpaid) that requires me to keep info back to stand a chance. But I am forgoing all sense and doing the opposite as I need to make sure they are right for me.
I fully expect it to go badly but meh, it's part of a masterplan, ha.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

By all means, if you're not happy in your current role and have a real interest in development, go for it, but the grass certainly isn't always greener.

My current place is brilliant, but there's no lack of software houses where you'll be frustrated by the same politics and shitty management.

I also think you might have unrealistic expectations expecting to go in as a rookie then be earning serious money after 6 months unless you're ridiculously talented. There's good money in development, but there's no lack of junior devs with no experience who'll work for shit money, and it takes a lot of graft to get to the point where you can start looking at positions above a junior level.

If I am paid better and actually get a raise I wouldn't mind the bolitics side, NHS is just shite, we have not had a pay increase in 5 years and I get all that! 

Possibly so, about the expectations but I always try to aim high as I think that loads to road of success. As long as I am progressing at something i enjoy and money is good I will be happy. My friend who is also very good with computers has decided he wants to move from support to development. He has been very successful and a very strong background in IT. he has aspirations to eventually start his own company up so if all goes well that is also a option. 

Always liked the idea of designing web sites 

3 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I find Job hunting extremely frustrating at times whether its not hearing back or unsuccesful interviews but will always keep plugging away.

All this talk of careers, I've had an email this morning from a company I had an interview with back in October to say they are recruiting for the same role again, so its either working side by side with the succesful person then. or most likely they've either progessed or moved on. They cited a lack of experience in a certain area before and not much has changed for me since then, but will certainly follow it up.

Same, I find it even worse in london! You get so many people applying for same jobs. 

Yeah you should most definitely follow it up, could be the start for something better 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Same, I find it even worse in london! You get so many people applying for same jobs. 

Swings and roundabouts, isn't it? Way more jobs available in London but a similar factor increase in competition.

I came to London for two years and that was 17 years ago. In that time I've only ever interviewed once outside of London and I've changed jobs 5 times.

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Swings and roundabouts, isn't it? Way more jobs available in London but a similar factor increase in competition.

I came to London for two years and that was 17 years ago. In that time I've only ever interviewed once outside of London and I've changed jobs 5 times.

Yeah you sure are right bud. But I find for what I am currently qualified for you have so many more applicants than someone in it support, or developer as well as other roles in different sectors 

Does anybody have experience of manufacturing a move away from the workplace to work from home or in my case, a different location? Do I simply just present my ideas and tell them why this can work? Are there any drawbacks to asking? I would rather go about it this way as I do like my job and I would like them to give me that opportunity before I start gunning for various other roles within the industry I work within. 

The reasoning is that I want to buy a house, but not in London, market prices elsewhere are attractive and the closer I get to 30, the more I want to move away and closer to my family up in the North West. I'm in my 7th year down here and there is not a massive requirement for me to work from the office and I am not enjoying the lifestyle as much as I was when I was in my early to mid 20 somethings. Of late, I have been returning home a lot more and I am start to feel the pull much more; family, beach walks and general slow down amongst other things. Hopefully this is not out of the ordinary and some of yourselves can offer up your experiences and advice. From my point of view, I do not want to feel like I am getting stuck in a rut because I am not enjoying where I live even though I am sure there are much more serious things going on in the world. Thank you in advance!

11 minutes ago, knoppy1987 said:

Does anybody have experience of manufacturing a move away from the workplace to work from home or in my case, a different location? Do I simply just present my ideas and tell them why this can work? Are there any drawbacks to asking? I would rather go about it this way as I do like my job and I would like them to give me that opportunity before I start gunning for various other roles within the industry I work within. 

The reasoning is that I want to buy a house, but not in London, market prices elsewhere are attractive and the closer I get to 30, the more I want to move away and closer to my family up in the North West. I'm in my 7th year down here and there is not a massive requirement for me to work from the office and I am not enjoying the lifestyle as much as I was when I was in my early to mid 20 somethings. Of late, I have been returning home a lot more and I am start to feel the pull much more; family, beach walks and general slow down amongst other things. Hopefully this is not out of the ordinary and some of yourselves can offer up your experiences and advice. From my point of view, I do not want to feel like I am getting stuck in a rut because I am not enjoying where I live even though I am sure there are much more serious things going on in the world. Thank you in advance!

It's possible and a conversation cannot hurt. Make sure that it gets written into your contract, otherwise it could fall away very quickly. I.e. people start putting meetings in on days you don't plan to be there, forcing you to 'go in'. Sadly a lot of companies do not have good work/life balance policy and work from home opportunities. If it's not the 'done thing' at your firm, then it might be difficult, they may not want to give someone 'special treatment' etc, others might start to see you as a bit of a 'part timer'. 

If you have another office in the North West then I'm sure they can accommodate that. 

• Like 1

We do not have an office in the North West, but we do have one in Dublin. I work in Aviation so we can be here, there any everywhere at various times and I would not put any obstruction to spending a certain amount of time at our offices. In addition, there have been people who have been allowed to work from various locations. One much more inexperienced colleague of mine works from Durham. He took a slight pay cut, but to be honest, that would not bother me at all at present. Cheers for the insight. 

Â