New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

They'll go for a simple clean design that plays well on social media and digital channels. A lot of car companies have had new logos recently, majority to simpler designs. 

See how they are all cleaner (apart from Peugeot!)

XHAAJc2.jpeg

I agree, though it is slightly more challenging in our case, you'll notice the names of these are short, just a few letters or none at all, also all of the shapes used are very simple with exception of Peugeot.

In the case of our badge, we'll be increasing the number of letters considerably and our lion isn't simple at all, so it's going to be difficult to achieve the same reduction as these.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I certainly don’t disrespect the achievement. I just get a bit tired of everything being about the European Cup win. A week can’t go by without seeing something about it. I feel like being a Villa fan can get a bit like obsessions over the wars. Does it really have to be like 50% of what this club is about? I’m not saying ‘move on’ but do we really have to have a kit that harks back to 1982, a badge that harks back to 1982, a star to remind us of 1982, 1982 on the away kit, etc etc. We are so much more than that one cup win but it feels like everything has to reference it.

Maybe I’m just being grumpy but it has started to irk me a bit. 

I think there's an argument to be made that we go a bit overboard in homaging '82 etc at every possible opportunity but I absolutely want to keep the star on the badge somewhere to mark it.

Multiple times I've been wearing a Villa shirt and ignorant modern football fans have laughed and said "What's the star for, being relegated?"

The pleasure of telling a Man City or Spurs fan that it's for a European Cup win that they weren't even aware of is pure priceless.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I certainly don’t disrespect the achievement. I just get a bit tired of everything being about the European Cup win. A week can’t go by without seeing something about it. I feel like being a Villa fan can get a bit like obsessions over the wars. Does it really have to be like 50% of what this club is about? I’m not saying ‘move on’ but do we really have to have a kit that harks back to 1982, a badge that harks back to 1982, a star to remind us of 1982, 1982 on the away kit, etc etc. We are so much more than that one cup win but it feels like everything has to reference it.

Maybe I’m just being grumpy but it has started to irk me a bit. 

Obviously we have difference of opinion somewhat on this but especially when we have done so little since apart from a few league cups.  We are so much more than a cup but it’s the biggest achievement in our history and largely we have been poor since.  

We get disrespected as a club so often by people outside the club, this is something we can flaunt back in their faces and be proud!  Yes 40 years ago but still an achievement so few clubs do and it’s nice to remind other clubs we have done it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

The COMPLETE obsession with a European cup win 40 years ago is driving me mad (particularly as a younger support). Is it just me??? It’s all pretty cringe at this point.

We are one of only a handful of English clubs to win this special trophy, be proud and rinse the **** out of that achievement I say, UTV....

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

The COMPLETE obsession with a European cup win 40 years ago is driving me mad (particularly as a younger support). Is it just me??? It’s all pretty cringe at this point.

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was just too young to remember it but I’m extremely proud we did that and we should celebrate it to the max that our club did it because so few clubs achieve it.  I am surprised a Villa fan finds it cringe.

Maybe is because you are younger but I hate these days that the younger generation only care about what has been done in the PL years and things before that are disrespected.  It’s bad enough from other fans but for it to be called cringe by some of our own that we celebrate so much is a little disheartening.

27 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Okay....sorry....but I can't bite my lip on this any longer.

Cringe ?? What is cringe about the star ? 

Retiring a youth team player's shirt number ? Sure. Handing out clappers to fans - see Leicester or Fulham. Yes.

The star shows we are a member of an exclusive club. What the f*** is cringe about that ?!

I think the obsession with the European Cup win is us, the fans.  The fans never ever shut up about it.

Christ, even the allez allez allez song just keeps harping on about it. That would be a good chant if it had a different verse or the european cup bit was the second verse. Thats cringe. Our obsession chanting about it to the Arse, Citeh, Spurs etc thats cringe.

Yes, most definitely celebrate it but celebrate it in the right manner exactly how the club has done so. The club did a splendid job in doing it. It was the total opposite of cringe, it was class.

If i remember rightly we put the star on the badge ourselves after UEFA refused to allow us to put a star on our shirts. I personally think we have earned the right to have a star and it should be incorporated in any new badge.

Well, football fans are a generally mickey taking lot, out of other clubs and yes, we do it especially to Citeh (and PSG for me) who, despite buying up all the top talent still haven't won it.

Not much we can do about what comes out of other supporters' mouths really. That's always been the case.

6 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I think the obsession with the European Cup win is us, the fans.  The fans never ever shut up about it.

Christ, even the allez allez allez song just keeps harping on about it. That would be a good chant if it had a different verse or the european cup bit was the second verse. Thats cringe. Our obsession chanting about it to the Arse, Citeh, Spurs etc thats cringe.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Fair enough. Your arguments have convinced me a bit.

Anyway, my attempt is an homage to our American owner-saviours

spacer.png

or an homage to our prior owner

spacer.png

Needs more cowbell 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Fair enough. Your arguments have convinced me a bit.

Anyway, my attempt is an homage to our American owner-saviours

spacer.png

or an homage to our prior owner

spacer.png

Not keen on the second one. Has a star on it. #smalltime 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I was just too young to remember it but I’m extremely proud we did that and we should celebrate it to the max that our club did it because so few clubs achieve it.  I am surprised a Villa fan finds it cringe.

Maybe is because you are younger but I hate these days that the younger generation only care about what has been done in the PL years and things before that are disrespected.  It’s bad enough from other fans but for it to be called cringe by some of our own that we celebrate so much is a little disheartening.

It's probably a question of balance and putting historic achievements in their proper context.  Even as an ardent lover of Villa history, I get slightly weary of constant references to particular events in the matchday programme and on social media.   I don't need to read that we've won the League Cup 5 times every single time the website tells us who we've got in the next round.

I liken it to opera (bear with me).  If you only listen to the famous arias, you miss out on all the background, incidental music etc that build towards making the aria special.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 03:41, jackbauer24 said:

My biggest issue with reverting to the circular badge is that it just perpetuates the belief that we're stuck in the past, living off one former (albeit amazing) glory. Going back to a circular badge with a star in it doesn't strike me as very forward thinking.

Furthermore, if you're a traditionalist, then badges/shields are by far the most authentic route to go as they have been our crest for a majority of our history. 

Finally, apparently the simplicity of the badge is vital in today's digital age as it is clearer for viewing on tablets/phones etc at varying sizes.

Personally I'm fine with the badge, clean, simple, Villa colours and unique.

I might as well just quote my own message from 4 and a half years ago. My view is the same.

A star signifies our greatest achievement. We don't need to replicate the whole badge. Traditionally, Villa have a 'shield' not a round 'badge'. We had a circle badge for a few years in our whole history.

But looks like we're going back to it and I'm just disappointed that Villa's history is being reduced to focus on one year.

• Like 1

This is the Lion of Lucerne in Switzerland, commemorating the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution...

the-lion-of-lucerne.jpg

Of it's surroundings Mark Twain said this:

'Around about are green trees and grass. The place is a sheltered, reposeful woodland nook, remote from noise and stir and confusion—and all this is fitting, for lions do die in such places, and not on granite pedestals in public squares fenced with fancy iron railings. The Lion of Lucerne would be impressive anywhere, but nowhere so impressive as where he is.'

Which is whay I think the best crest is the one where the lion isn't trapped inside a shield or circle, but is free to go where it wants like a free spirit, like the one on this illustration

aston-villa-home-football-shirt-1969-197

• Like 2
  • Haha 1