$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

On slightly different tangent, I can see a time coming when the American league will overtake the PL & will be the place to be as far as top wages & top stars will be found. The CL will be re-vamped or overtaken by a similar model incorporating not only European sides but sides from other continents as well.

When people talk about maintaining traditions & incidentals (in the grand scheme of things) such as re-naming the ground then this should be considered. There is no financial incentive to be gained in changing the traditional colours & even if there was, this could be achieved by using the away kit.

For me, I want to see Villa up there competing at the highest level & to do this, I accept it would have to be done the modern way. Not my preferred way admittedly but if that is what it takes then that is what should be done.

I agree with this but we're talking way way in the future surely?

VT's ITK Purge1 happened for good reason. Most are full of shit.

Although, like all purges, the genuine ITKs get caught up in it too.

1Historical records* are, inevitably, unreliable. When exactly the Purge occured is hard to say.

*My memory.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

I'm as hopeful as the next person that this happens, but that Telegraph article has nothing concrete at all, nothing more than we've all read on Twitter etc.

It's the headline article in both the Guardian and the Telegraph. They both released it at the same time last night. They must have something concrete even if they can't print it. It's not like it's the Sun. I was sceptical about this whole thing until last night - but there has to be something happening now.

Reckon it's 50/50 how this could turn out - anyone know what the success rate is with American owners? Gilette and Hicks were a disaster, Sunderland seem to be going down due to management similar to Lerner's, under Ellis Short. Fulham's guy seems a bit trigger happy with managers but he's invited heavily in January taken a gamble and it could pay off. The Glazers have no money of their own....

Would take a John Henry every day of the week.

Interestingly Henry is similar to Lerner when he first came here - keeps out of the spotlight but has spent a lot of money. I think if we'd had had a good manager instead of O'Neill from the beginning (or at least one that could build for the future) things would be a lot different now.

In some respects it was Martin O'Neill who ruined the club

• Like 3

I'm as hopeful as the next person that this happens, but that Telegraph article has nothing concrete at all, nothing more than we've all read on Twitter etc.

It's the headline article in both the Guardian and the Telegraph. They both released it at the same time last night. They must have something concrete even if they can't print it. It's not like it's the Sun. I was sceptical about this whole thing until last night - but there has to be something happening now.

Reckon it's 50/50 how this could turn out - anyone know what the success rate is with American owners? Gilette and Hicks were a disaster, Sunderland seem to be going down due to management similar to Lerner's, under Ellis Short. Fulham's guy seems a bit trigger happy with managers but he's invited heavily in January taken a gamble and it could pay off. The Glazers have no money of their own....

Interestingly Henry is similar to Lerner when he first came here - keeps out of the spotlight but has spent a lot of money. I think if we'd had had a good manager instead of O'Neill from the beginning (or at least one that could build for the future) things would be a lot different now.

I agree. Say what you want about Lerner but you can't argue he didn't back the manager financially. He just backed the wrong one! Sunderland did the same and are paying the price even more than us!

• Like 1

I'll get shot-down in flames for this but I think the most sensible thing to do to take us to the next level and to compete in the big league is to form a single team in Birmingham and take over the scum.  It would take 1-2 generations but in the longer term it would unit the city and give us regular crowds of 55,000 and for big games into the 70,000s.

The team name would be a merger of the two clubs; Aston Villa from our side and FC from BCFC giving us Aston Villa FC!

OK. Say its all true. We survive. The new owners want to spend big.

FFP rules kick in. Be interesting to see what punishment Man City receive. Apparantly all they can do is give them a fine.. they cant control who plays in the Premier League. We are not in the CL so it wont affect us.

For example if Messi is off contract and we offer him 500k a week wages to sign. Is that okay? is it only transfer fees that are getting pulled up?

Be interesting to see which big player starts the revolution.

Please stay up Villa!

A fine is one of the disciplinary options available. I actually think they'll get away with it completely, though.

However, you need to be careful when using Man City as an example of how FFP can be averted.

Their case hasn't been decided yet; plus they kind of got a head start on it all, so they've had time to create a plethora of all sorts of complex arrangements, sponsorships and what not; and they also benefit from the fact that some of the wages from players they bought a while back won't be included for FFP calculations.

From what I can see from it all PSG have taken the biggest, most brazen risk to 'avoid' the rules and they'll be most high profile team busted by them.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I'll get shot-down in flames for this but I think the most sensible thing to do to take us to the next level and to compete in the big league is to form a single team in Birmingham and take over the scum. It would take 1-2 generations but in the longer term it would unit the city and give us regular crowds of 55,000 and for big games into the 70,000s.

The team name would be a merger of the two clubs; Aston Villa from our side and FC from BCFC giving us Aston Villa FC!

Would need Birmingham to fold and a about 3/4 generations for people to forget they existed.

Amo-Yes way, way in the future.

My point is that tradition will always change. If we stand still, we will get left behind. We have to move with the times whether we like it or not.

The alternative as I see it is to set up an alternative at grass roots level like FC United did. Look what a damp squid that turned out to be while United continued to grow.

Look how Villa Park has changed in the Premiership years alone-No mighty Holte End now, just an all seater using the same name. The splendour & character of the old Trinity Road stand erased, replaced by a commercial structure with excellent hospitality facilities . The Witton Lane stand replaced with a much better model but is now called something else. The Holte Suite & Holte pub, completely out of context with anything else in the local area.

The Villa Park that I grew up knowing is long gone-It doesn't feel like "Villa Park" to me & I really don't care what its called as long as the team who play there are successful.

• Like 2

Amo-Yes way, way in the future.

My point is that tradition will always change. If we stand still, we will get left behind. We have to move with the times whether we like it or not.

The alternative as I see it is to set up an alternative at grass roots level like FC United did. Look what a damp squid that turned out to be while United continued to grow.

Look how Villa Park has changed in the Premiership years alone-No mighty Holte End now, just an all seater using the same name. The splendour & character of the old Trinity Road stand erased, replaced by a commercial structure with excellent hospitality facilities . The Witton Lane stand replaced with a much better model but is now called something else. The Holte Suite & Holte pub, completely out of context with anything else in the local area.

The Villa Park that I grew up knowing is long gone-It doesn't feel like "Villa Park" to me & I really don't care what its called as long as the team who play there are successful.

It's true. Bayern Munich are probably the best team in Europe right now and one of the most successful clubs of all time and they play at the Allianz Arena! I'm sure the majority of fans got over this when they won the European cup with ease.

Anyone else just think this is another club constructed rumour to deflect attention of the current situation ?

Or improve season ticket sales?

Who would renew their season ticket based on a rumour???

I'll get shot-down in flames for this but I think the most sensible thing to do to take us to the next level and to compete in the big league is to form a single team in Birmingham and take over the scum. It would take 1-2 generations but in the longer term it would unit the city and give us regular crowds of 55,000 and for big games into the 70,000s.

Would probs have to be Birmingham United if you want the whole city to be under one team...

In the past there's been a separate thread in "other football" for the benefit of those who still want to blame MON for all the evils of the world. Is it not still operational?

For what it's worth, I think it was Houllier - he took what was effectively a top 6 squad and plunged us unto a relegation battle. We've never really recovered from that. 

• Like 1

Would probs have to be Birmingham United if you want the whole city to be under one team...

Just threw up in my mouth reading that name

• Like 4

In the past there's been a separate thread in "other football" for the benefit of those who still want to blame MON for all the evils of the world. Is it not still operational?

For what it's worth, I think it was Houllier - he took what was effectively a top 6 squad and plunged us unto a relegation battle. We've never really recovered from that. 

Nobody has ever tried to blame O'Neill for absolutely everything and I don't know why people keep saying this. What maqroll and others are saying is that we had our chance back when Lerner first arrived and was plowing money into the team but on the whole it was spent pretty poorly. It took ages to get rid of all his deadwood. Say what you like about our deadwood now but at least they're on 10k-20k a week instead of 40k-50k.

What effect did Houllier have then? I don't think he did much to help (although we never really got to see enough of him due to his health problems) but the whole club was already in a massive state when he arrived thanks to O'Neill throwing his toys out of the pram and leaving right before a new season was about to begin. I think the team we had under O'Neill in 09/10 flattered to deceive a little bit, and once Milner left (again before Houllier arrived) it looked like it was missing something big, which it was. Funnily enough most of the players from that team haven't gone on to do anything of note since leaving Villa. At the very least many of them were very bad value for money.

• Like 3

On slightly different tangent, I can see a time coming when the American league will overtake the PL & will be the place to be as far as top wages & top stars will be found. The CL will be re-vamped or overtaken by a similar model incorporating not only European sides but sides from other continents as well.

When people talk about maintaining traditions & incidentals (in the grand scheme of things) such as re-naming the ground then this should be considered. There is no financial incentive to be gained in changing the traditional colours & even if there was, this could be achieved by using the away kit.

For me, I want to see Villa up there competing at the highest level & to do this, I accept it would have to be done the modern way. Not my preferred way admittedly but if that is what it takes then that is what should be done.

I agree with this but we're talking way way in the future surely?

This theory has being doing the rounds since the 1970's - some way off - if ever - The yanks love Baseball, Basketball, American Football - 

The US has long been touted as one of the next superpowers of world football but whether it will actually happen or not is another matter. For the record I think football will be big there one day.

• Like 1

I'd say it was the AMcL season that ruined us. A poor appointment, negativity from the off, & the money pot finally got taken away from us.

Anyway that's a debate for elsewhere, I guess.

Back on topic: just buy us will you, someone, and spend loads.

Whats often crossed my mind, is did Lerner get totally hacked off with the grief Houllier got ? - Because he backed houllier to about £30m in a jan window......Then his money (and himself) just disappeared....