Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

I met him in 2004, when I was 15. In the photo (which I'd rather not put up :P) I look like an even bigger retard than usual because he was tickling my side.

Either he's a nice guy, or he will be the next suspect in Operation Yewtree.

Having been lucky enough to watch Sid play I think I can confidently say there will never be a better Villa player than him.

From my Villa watching day's Alex Cropley was a brilliant player as well until he broke his leg against the Baggies

Brain Little still takes my accolade for the greatest villa player I have seen 

Yes I think its between Brian Little, Gary Shaw and Sid Cowans as my greatest. I know many say Paul Mcgrath but I'd still have those ahead of him.

Having been lucky enough to watch Sid play I think I can confidently say there will never be a better Villa player than him.

From my Villa watching day's Alex Cropley was a brilliant player as well until he broke his leg against the Baggies

Yes I can still hear the crack now. Bloody Ally Brown. Great player and he could have only been about 7 stone.

I played against `Sid` when he was playing for St George's school at 14 years of age. He was a year older than me & his passing range then was unreal.

We lost 4-0

I remember the game well.

Bottom Line - I remember playing against Sid - Sid doesn't remember playing against me. :P

Just to add that my manager on this occasion was Head Of Aston Villa Academy Bryan Jones who was then PE Teacher at Aston Manor School.

Some you win - Some you lose! :P

Two vivid memories of Sid spring to mind. One was how lightwieght, yet astute he was in midfield......like a rabid whippet. The other was when he broke his leg abroad, the footage of which would still make me cringe today.

Mr Aston Villa.

Yes I can still hear the crack now. Bloody Ally Brown. Great player and he could have only been about 7 stone.

Yep Cropley was a great player but still not a patch on Sid. I was sitting in the Trinity Road that day and I remember the gasps around me when it happened.

• Like 1

Yep Cropley was a great player but still not a patch on Sid. I was sitting in the Trinity Road that day and I remember the gasps around me when it happened.

I remember the first league cup final at wembley against Everton which ended in a dissapointing 0-0 but Cropley was still a class apart from anything on the pitch. Yes not as good as Cowans but his career was curtailed early so hard to judge.

Edited by PaulC

Gordon Cowans, my all time hero. Played in midfield just like me. He played the way I always wanted to, but needless to say, never managed to. His touch and vision were one of a kind. Quite skinny, but I forgive him.

I'm so so glad he is heavily involved with the club still. Would love to see him as our manager some day.

Love you Gordon! (was never Sid to me)

Always Sid to me, met him many times and always found him to be a great person as well as one of the best football players I have ever seen.

Sid, Little (sorry lol) Shaw, Morley Platt and Macca are all up there but if I had to pick a favourite then it would be Brian Little but they were all brilliant players that I'm proud to say I saw wearing a Villa shirt.

• Like 2

Sid is one of the best players I have ever seen play for the Villa.

His addition to the first team coaching staff will hopefully get the crowd back on side.

Now the Vila can't pass to each other to save their lives at the moment,  if passing is the problem then we have the master.

Let's be positive :)  

• Like 1

Sid memories.

In his second spell when we destroyed Everton at Villa Park (6-2 in 1989); he scored a much underrated beauty of a first goal, going through and curling is around the 'wrong side' of the keeper with the outside of his right foot. **** amazing skill, and he could probably do that 99 times out of 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2pXNEzT3xA - 11:18 (might have bigged it up a bit too much!)

And when we battered Barca in 1983 (who were a bunch dirty words removed then) and Sid scored the penalty rebound and was then hoofed into the net by the keeper (and MacNaught's reaction).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSrIsO-vSv4 - 4:40.

This was my first ever game - just wow!

And the leg break - just ow!

I remember the leg break being shown on local news, it was just awful.

Sid has to go down as one of the greats, such a silky smooth, naturally gifted player. His corners were a bit shit though  ;) .

Along with Brian Little, John Gidman, Andy (Mc) Gray and the mighty Bruce Rioch, he's deffo one of my all time faves.

Again, like many on here, ie is one of my all time heroes.

All of the above memories of Sid are still fresh in my mind.

One of the best though was when he scored the penalty against Barcelona in the Super Cup final at Villa Park.

After scoring, he went to retrieve the ball from the back of the net and got booted into the net himself by their goalie (dirty cheating bastard).

He just got up, glowered at their keeper (dirty cheating bastard) and carried on.

No rolling around, no crying, no histrionics.

I think he was a tough bugger, was Sid. 

Â