Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Uwe Rosler.

Great job at Brentford and now doing well at Wigan. They could get promoted and may even get through to the FA cup final!!!

If you think Lambert and O'Neill are stubborn, wait to you get to know Uwe Rösler.

BTW, I think Rösler is just another gamble like we gambled with Lambert (though Lambert had achieved a lot more than Rosler.

I know Uwe Rösler from the Norwegian league. First, he is not the same quality as Staale Solbakken (the best manager from Norwegian League) or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Second, his results were not good enough in what was a very crappy league. He was sacked at Lillestrom in 2006 and then sacked from Viking 2009.

He is also a quite nasty fellow. In his biography he tells about how he kicked his teammate Torgeir Bjarmann (who had laid down on the ground) again and again with the ball until Bjarman was bleeding all over his face. 

• Like 1

Despite how it has turned out, Lambert seemed a reasonable choice.  A young manager on the up, who had earned his stripes in the lower divisions.

It hasn't worked, but that's the risk you take with a younger manager. 

Depending on the ownership situation, we have to be honest and say we can't realistically target a manager whose career trajectory has only shown an upward curve again.  The Villa job is a big one, probably too big for Lambert.  And it has finished people before.

That doesn't mean we can't target a decent coach or manager, but we might be facing a scenario similar to when Fulham appointed Uncle Woy.  They opted for a bloke who had managed teams like Inter Milan and so forth in the past, but whose career looked like it was hitting the skids, with stints in Scandinavia that were nothing to write home about. 

They took a gamble and -despite a setback at Liverpool- Hodgson's career has largely been on the up again since then. 

I would look at the Dutch trio of Van Basten, Rijkaard and Koeman. 

Of those three, only Van Basten is currently managing now, and last season took Heerenveen to mid table in what is a pretty mediocre league.  You don't manage the calibre of sides he has previously if you're a complete numpty though, ditto Rijkaard and Koeman.  All three would probably have a more defined way of playing than PL, and are not currently in a position to make ridiculous demands re budgets or salary. 

What is more important than that is that we get the structures right above them.  Lerner and Faulkner might have many gifts, but the football aspect of things is clearly where they struggle.  We need a competent, respected DoF, who has plenty of contacts in the game, and knows the true worth of players and the contracts they might demand. It's too much to leave big financial decisions and transfer policy to a GH, McLeish or Lambert, who are only in the job for a short time themselves.

Get the structures right, and you can survive the turmoil of a manager leaving every year or two. It's not ideal, but it seems to be the way of things at many clubs now.  Any manager lasting three years in the job just about qualifies for a long service medal today.

Good post.

I think Lambert is history - but the environment for a manager to thrive isn't there. Why can Hughes, thrive at Stoke, Pullis at Palace - would either of them thrive @ VP ?  - as Howard Hodgson said - Lambert is the only one of the hierarchy at VP from a football background....until that changes its difficult to see  anyone doing better

If Fulham get relegated the Felix Magath. If funds are tight we need someone who can actually organise a team, and also put the fear of god in them on the training ground. There is no more room for big time Charlie's if you don't want to play for Villa then just go ! If you aren't good enough, then just go !

We need someone who can command respect at every level, Lambert show's nothing, how can he inspire anyone to pull on the claret and blue of our proud club.

If Randy is to stay and keep up with the restrictions then I don't think Allardyce would be too bad at keeping relegation at bay and he might become available. Having said that I think it's time we stopped thinking in terms of just being happy to avoid a relegation fight.

In an ideal world I'd like the Southampton manager and maybe bring his friend Cortese with him although I confess I don't know much about what he did at the Saints.

Hoddle.

Would play good football, would develop the players, would attract good players.

Was it Shearer who said that he was tactically the best coach he had worked under, and i saw Merse recently, and he said he should still be the England manager.

More importantly he is immediately available, and cheap.

• Like 2

Uwe Rosler.

Great job at Brentford and now doing well at Wigan. They could get promoted and may even get through to the FA cup final!!!

If you think Lambert and O'Neill are stubborn, wait to you get to know Uwe Rösler.

BTW, I think Rösler is just another gamble like we gambled with Lambert (though Lambert had achieved a lot more than Rosler.

I know Uwe Rösler from the Norwegian league. First, he is not the same quality as Staale Solbakken (the best manager from Norwegian League) or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Second, his results were not good enough in what was a very crappy league. He was sacked at Lillestrom in 2006 and then sacked from Viking 2009.

He is also a quite nasty fellow. In his biography he tells about how he kicked his teammate Torgeir Bjarmann (who had laid down on the ground) again and again with the ball until Bjarman was bleeding all over his face. 

Rubbish, their biggest mistake was sacking him in lsk. Outrageous decision and they are still paying the price. The fans still go on about it and no wonder either.

Fair enough mate, but whilst his initial background is blotted, but he's done very well in England. I don't live all that far from Griffin Park, so I saw his Brentford side play a few times. They were good to watch.

Wigan weren't doing all that great this season before he arrived, but now they're looking like they might make a play off spot plus an FA cup final.

We can't attract the best managers, so any that we do will be a gamble.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Seriously Id love Hoddle but has he been out too long?

Because of his outrageous and disgusting views on disabled people. Doesn't deserve a job in management. Hoddle is a word removed.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 4

Seriously Id love Hoddle but has he been out too long?

Because of his outrageous and disgusting views on disabled people. Doesn't deserve a job in management. Hoddle is a word removed.

Jesus, glad I have never made a mistake.

Hoddle:

'I have got an inner belief and an inner faith with God. I do believe spiritually we have to progress because we've been here before. The physical body is just an overcoat for your spirit. At death you take the overcoat off and your spirit will go on to another life in a spirit dimension.

'I think we make mistakes when we are down here and our spirit has to come back and learn. That's why there is an injustice in the world. Why there's certain people born into the world with terrible physical problems and why there's a family who has got everything right, physically and mentally.'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jan/30/newsstory.sport7