Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Jorge Sampioli

I saw in the lambert thread Barry as player manager (although it may have been tongue in cheek). Would be an extremely big gamble in my eyes, and would need a good coaching staff and football director (how Dan Ashworth was at the Albion). But then it could pay off. He was always known as an intelligent person, he was worked under numerous different managers and would demand respect around the place. May be a bit too early for him, but then stranger things have happened.

Speaking in hypotheticals, as that's all this exercise is, we're not going to get a candidate without some tarnish to their record.

That said, Rangnick comes to mind. I'm sure I remember him expressing interest in other jobs in England since leaving Schalke. He's currently the sporting director of both Red Bull Leipzig and Salzburg but obviously he wouldn't mind leaving that for a job in the Premier League. Salzburg are in pretty much a league of their own but he's done pretty well with player arrivals there during his time, for a budget which would be likely similiar to ours.

• Like 1

would be thrilled with laudrup with laursen as his number two and eventual succesor

be more than happy with that

but does anyone seriously expect those two bafoons to recruit the right man?

Edited by Demitri_C

As previously stated Steve, they might be odd beliefs to us, but it is the views of Buddhists, so hes not on his own as having these views, and as the father of a lad who is disabled, i'm not overly offended by Hoddles comments tbh

True enough.

three quarters of the planet appear to believe in some kind of sky-fairy (which I find utterly ridiculous). I wouldn't rule any of them out though if they could actually manage.

I doubt any new manager would be much better than Lambert, given the club's recent track record of appointments.

It would be nice to have a manager who has a distinctive style. Shitty form is more forgivable if the team is trying something adventurous. What I can't stand is rubbish results with rubbish football.

• Like 1

There is a huge rebuilding job to be done here as apart from a handful of players the rest are simply not good enough or squad fillers at best.

Having said the above though if we can offer a competitive budget in terms of fees and wages to spend for a new manager then Aston Villa is still a massive draw. For that to happen is likely to require a new owner though and that could well be the case come the summer.

I'm thinking it doesn't matter who is the manage when we have Randy holding the purse strings.  Since MON walked we have had Houllier, McLeish and now Lambert all fail miserably to replicate the relative success of the O'Neill era. I know there are other factors but common sense tells me that if there is a serious problem and you change one component several times without success then maybe the problem is with a different component. ie, Randolph Lerner.

Steve McClaren

Punch yourself in the bollocks, delete your account and never come back.

;)

I'd take my McClaren over your Rosler any day of the week, sunshine!  :P

Jorge Sampioli

I saw in the lambert thread Barry as player manager (although it may have been tongue in cheek). Would be an extremely big gamble in my eyes, and would need a good coaching staff and football director (how Dan Ashworth was at the Albion). But then it could pay off. He was always known as an intelligent person, he was worked under numerous different managers and would demand respect around the place. May be a bit too early for him, but then stranger things have happened.

Great player, but not a manager

• Like 1