Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Can't see anyone wanting the job given the lack of funds. This squad needs investment and without a change of owner that isn't happening.

Depressing times.

Coco the **** Clown.

He owns us.

• Like 1

If he is to go and the finances are going to be no better Id like to see the job given to Cowans. 

Hes a Villa man and knows the club inside out, anyone coming in will need all the advantages he can get.

I'm not sure having a Villa fan would make a difference. Maybe 20 years ago it would have worked, but in todays game we need somebody who can run the club and not be tied in to the values. We spend far too much time as it is, thinking our youth team is world beaters - when most aren't good enough. We need somebody in charge who has no connections, but want success and will lie and cheat if he has to - I hate Mourinho but we need a version of him at Villa, somebody with a will to win and who has worldly experience.

What use would that be without the finances to make us competitive? If this Mourinho type did well he would be off in a heart beat if another job became available, unless he had an affiliation with the club.

At least if we are going to continue down the academy route why not give the job to somebody with real knowledge of it? The Villa fan thing is not important really.

Id like Pullis - Thats the best we can hope for.

Malky Mckay, De Matteo, are listed in the odds - which makes very uninspiring reading

Depressing isnt it?  You can add Curbishly to that list....zzzzzzz

Despite how it has turned out, Lambert seemed a reasonable choice.  A young manager on the up, who had earned his stripes in the lower divisions.

It hasn't worked, but that's the risk you take with a younger manager. 

Depending on the ownership situation, we have to be honest and say we can't realistically target a manager whose career trajectory has only shown an upward curve again.  The Villa job is a big one, probably too big for Lambert.  And it has finished people before.

That doesn't mean we can't target a decent coach or manager, but we might be facing a scenario similar to when Fulham appointed Uncle Woy.  They opted for a bloke who had managed teams like Inter Milan and so forth in the past, but whose career looked like it was hitting the skids, with stints in Scandinavia that were nothing to write home about. 

They took a gamble and -despite a setback at Liverpool- Hodgson's career has largely been on the up again since then. 

I would look at the Dutch trio of Van Basten, Rijkaard and Koeman. 

Of those three, only Van Basten is currently managing now, and last season took Heerenveen to mid table in what is a pretty mediocre league.  You don't manage the calibre of sides he has previously if you're a complete numpty though, ditto Rijkaard and Koeman.  All three would probably have a more defined way of playing than PL, and are not currently in a position to make ridiculous demands re budgets or salary. 

What is more important than that is that we get the structures right above them.  Lerner and Faulkner might have many gifts, but the football aspect of things is clearly where they struggle.  We need a competent, respected DoF, who has plenty of contacts in the game, and knows the true worth of players and the contracts they might demand. It's too much to leave big financial decisions and transfer policy to a GH, McLeish or Lambert, who are only in the job for a short time themselves.

Get the structures right, and you can survive the turmoil of a manager leaving every year or two. It's not ideal, but it seems to be the way of things at many clubs now.  Any manager lasting three years in the job just about qualifies for a long service medal today.

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 3

If he is to go and the finances are going to be no better Id like to see the job given to Cowans. 

Hes a Villa man and knows the club inside out, anyone coming in will need all the advantages he can get.

I'm not sure having a Villa fan would make a difference. Maybe 20 years ago it would have worked, but in todays game we need somebody who can run the club and not be tied in to the values. We spend far too much time as it is, thinking our youth team is world beaters - when most aren't good enough. We need somebody in charge who has no connections, but want success and will lie and cheat if he has to - I hate Mourinho but we need a version of him at Villa, somebody with a will to win and who has worldly experience.

What use would that be without the finances to make us competitive? If this Mourinho type did well he would be off in a heart beat if another job became available, unless he had an affiliation with the club.

At least if we are going to continue down the academy route why not give the job to somebody with real knowledge of it? The Villa fan thing is not important really.

Malky Mckay, De Matteo, are listed in the odds - which makes very uninspiring reading

I'm just thinking of somebody like Rosler, the problem is the ones choosing the manager and the structure, are part of the problem.

Also, I don't want Cowans to be out of depth, like Macdonald. :(

Its shows how low we've fallen I guess doesn't it. Three to four years ago people were seriously talking about the likes of Ancelotti and Benitez. Now Pulis is rightly seen as a step up.

Fans have mocked the likes of Pulis and Allardyce due to their style of football. I am sure I may have been guilty myself. Without a pot to piss though they are ideal managers for us. Also in all fairness the tripe we have served up over the last 3+ years has been up there with the worst in the division.

Edited by markavfc40

I'm just thinking of somebody like Rosler, the problem is the ones choosing the manager and the structure, are part of the problem.

Also, I don't want Cowans to be out of depth, like Macdonald. :(

Yup....wholesale changes are needed really!  Changing the plaque on the managers door isnt really going to do much.

• Like 1

I've always said Koeman and he remains my choice.

Yakin, Tuchel, García and Howe are all acceptable choices too though I'm not sure how realistic Yakin is.

Unfortunately I think we'll end up in a similar situation to where we are now under any manager we could realistically get if the current restrictions from the board continue.

That isn't a defence of Lambert by the way before I get a dozen people jump down my throat, it's a criticism of the board.

• Like 1