Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Product placement for what?

Trying to promote this unknown singing bloke to Game Of Thrones fans who were otherwise unaware of him,  or trying to get Ed Sheeran's fans previously unaware of the biggest TV programme in the world watching out of curiosity?

I'm not sure there's much cross-over in either of the above.

I'd suggest there's an awful lot in the second category for starters

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd suggest there's an awful lot in the second category for starters

*shrugs* Fair enough.

I see it as about as commercially cynical as Coldplay being Walder Frey's house band or Joffrey not being a Sigur Ros fan. Basically not very.

On the episode, something that is bound to come back and be important - Sam flicking through that old book, there was a big picture of the knife from season one - the one that was used to try and kill Bran which was blamed on Tyrion.

I didnt like it, because it take you out of the show into real life, if you know what i mean. Its nothing to do with my dislike of Ed Sheeran. If any celeb i couldnt picture in Westerous or wherever popped up i would get irritated.

To be fair I don't think Ed Sheeren closed his twitter account just because of the abuse from this. I heard on the radio the other day that he'd completely stopped reading twitter comments because if he read even one negative one it completely ruined his day.

It was on the Two Mikes though so it could be utter nonsense.

37 minutes ago, zak said:

I didnt like it, because it take you out of the show into real life, if you know what i mean. Its nothing to do with my dislike of Ed Sheeran. If any celeb i couldnt picture in Westerous or wherever popped up i would get irritated.

Like actors?

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

That was a bit too gimmicky for me. 

My guess was that the poop/soup montage was meant to be a moment of light humor. Those moments are hard to find in GOT as it's mostly just people lopping each others heads off!

It is a bit off putting seeing a really recognisable face out of context. It took me a long time to stop seeing Littlefinger as the mayor of Baltimore from The Wire. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Like actors?

to be fair, some actors yeah. the point is at that time, you werent thinking about the plot, everyone was thinking "thats Ed Sheeran, why is he there" or something of that ilk. I guess for a big actor, lets say Brad Pitt, would be fairly similar especially for just a cameo. But you might think less about why an actor is acting in a tv show than another celeb acting in a tv show. For me someone like Steve Buscemi would cause very little time in questioning his appearing. 

The amount of time spent not thinking of the plot seems to directly correspond with irritation to the show for casting. (Its not Ed's fault)

Anyway i was looking online to see who else had cameos and found this article in GQ which probably sums it up way better than i do:

http://www.gq.com/story/ed-sheeran-game-of-thrones-cameo

And after spending the morning thinking out loud about it, I am comfortable saying Ed Sheeran's cameo... was bad. It wasn’t really Ed Sheeran’s fault. He was given so little to do that he couldn’t really bungle it in any meaningful way. But it was a reminder that cameos need to be handled judiciously, because the mere sight of a familiar celebrity can pull you right out of a TV show.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ponky said:

It is a bit off putting seeing a really recognisable face out of context. It took me a long time to stop seeing Littlefinger as the mayor of Baltimore from The Wire. 

...I never noticed that. But now I will, every scene, thanks :P 

• Like 1

OH MY GOD there are too many pages discussing Ed bloody Sheeran. Back to the topic at hand...

OH MY GOD I want to see Arya get saved by Nymeria when Ed Sheeran and his mates try to have their way with her.

I just mentioned Sheeran didn't I? Bollocks.

People keep saying that they think that group will try to take advantage of Arya, but I imagine that his agent might have advised him against making a cameo as a member of a rape gang.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People keep saying that they think that group will try to take advantage of Arya, but I imagine that his agent might have advised him against making a cameo as a member of a rape gang.

Maybe they're the victims and Arya has her wicked way with them? Eh? EH?

4 hours ago, sne said:

Much preferred the Mastodon cameo last season to the Ed Sheeran one

Indeed, so much so they are making a further cameo this season (and allegedly you could see them briefly in this episode).

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The whole "rabbit and blackberry wine" thing is important as well.

After Walder Frey broke that rule, that's the show putting in big, flashing lights "IT'S ALRIGHT, THIS BUNCH AREN'T GOING TO KILL EACH OTHER"

Edited by ml1dch

So i'm a big fan of cameos, if done well i think they can be great fun. Its something GoT has done in general quite well

Unfortunately this wasn't the case.

The acting was god awful and the scene served no point whatsoever. It was a few lines of weak dialogue talking about how 'War is bad'. There was no character development, no consequences and no drama (This my change if it turns out Arya is going to be interacting more with these guys, but i highly doubt it). It was a waste of 5 minutes, which considering we are limited to 7 episodes this season, felt like a complete waste of precious screen time.

Apart from that i thought the episode was a solid season opener, seating the scene quite nicely for the season ahead

Â