Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

If we do sign a left back and a holding midfielder, and bring back the bomb squad, then we will finish comfortably mid table imo.

I'd like to think that but I think we have other concerns.

We don't have someone we can rely on scoring enough goals. With benteke and kozak coming back from injuries I'll think we'll struggle to score.

We have a manager who struggled last year and I worry fans will be on his back if things don't start well.

And although okore will be back and we've signed senderos I don't think we're organised enough at the back.

Give bent some decent supply and he will score goals as he did when young and downing were about.

I think if we can get Nzogbia and Cole fit and playing we should be able to provide DB if he stays

I'm not sure the supply is good enough.

Depends on what Joe Cole and what Nzogbia turn up next year. they both have the ability to play well.

If we do sign a left back and a holding midfielder, and bring back the bomb squad, then we will finish comfortably mid table imo.

We don't have someone we can rely on scoring enough goals. With benteke and kozak coming back from injuries I'll think we'll struggle to score.

We have a manager who struggled last year and I worry fans will be on his back if things don't start well.

And although okore will be back and we've signed senderos I don't think we're organised enough at the back.

Give bent some decent supply and he will score goals as he did when young and downing were about.

I think if we can get Nzogbia and Cole fit and playing we should be able to provide DB if he stays

I'm not sure the supply is good enough.

Depends on what Joe Cole and what Nzogbia turn up next year. they both have the ability to play well.

True. Not sure how up for it nzogbia is going to be.

The big question:

Is Senderos and Cole better than Collins and Ireland?

yes, by a million miles

A very silly thing to say. Collins is probably a better CB; Cole is a better AM. Nothing is that different "by a million miles"

• Like 1

The big question:

Is Senderos and Cole better than Collins and Ireland?

yes, by a million miles
I'm not so sure its that obvious. I think both Collins and Ireland will be regulars for two teams who will probably finish above us.

Cole and senderos are where we are right now and they're decent for the role we need them for.

I'd say Collins is better than senderos. Cole on his day miles better than Ireland, it's whether he can get fit enough to get back to his best.

*he would have scored goals.

Not sure he can anymore, Lineker could bang in a goal given the chance too, not sure I would have him up top nowadays. Probably got a quicker turn of pace tbf though.

*he would have scored goals.

Not sure he can anymore, Lineker could bang in a goal given the chance too, not sure I would have him up top nowadays. Probably got a quicker turn of pace tbf though.

I still think letting Collins go was a mistake

He was a decent bog standard prem defender couldn't see us getting relegated with him and Vlaar at the back better than Baker and Clark anyway

And i do think he is better than Senderos

He was a decent bog standard prem defender couldn't see us getting relegated with him and Vlaar at the back better than Baker and Clark anyway

Cahill is truly the CB which got away though. Smh

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

He was an improvement on Baker and Clarke but frankly, he was on an O'Neill contract and I thought we done well to shift him and I believe we got a little fee for him.

Should have put a buy back clause in the sale to Bolton? he went to Chelsea for £8m I think?

Senderos is a small step up from Clark and Baker, though all 3 are mistake prone!

Should have put a buy back clause in the sale to Bolton? he went to Chelsea for £8m I think?

Senderos is a small step up from Clark and Baker, though all 3 are mistake prone!

Yeah if we had a buy back clause I am sure he would have chosen us over winning the Champions League :D

Didn't he go to Chelsea for free as he was out of contract?

As per my post in the Bendtner thread, I worry about a lack of goals in our team. Now I am not saying Bendtner is the answer, I just think it is an area where we also need a player. Yes we need a LB and holding midfielder as well as per above post, but our lack of goals last season was horrendous. How many games did we fail to score in? With our over reliance on Benteke over the last two years and a big question mark over when/if he will return to full fitness, I worry about where our goals are going to come from. The end of last season was painful, and if we start the new season like that then we are probably going down.

It's the creativity side that needs addressing Gabby and Weimann don't create much for others.

• Like 2

Senderos and Collins are about as chalk and chalk as you can get it - can't really differentiate them at all in terms of ability.

I'm really not sure if that's true. I bet if you looked at Collins' PL career, you would see a similar % of clean sheets kept compared to Senderos, despite always playing for worse teams (well, apart from last season). 

Collins is a very effective CB. He's not a great player, you'll never win the Champions League with him, but he's an effective PL CB. There's a reason managers who focus on defence above all else like to buy him and play him. 

Comparing clean sheets is pretty futile when there's a whole heap of variables involved in them. Plus If Collins was such an effective CB, then better teams would have come in for him at some point during his career - Senderos to his credit, has at least played for some big names.