The Howard Hodgson report on our club

andykeenan

"The Report" - It's a tongue-in-cheek title and I doubt the guy sees himself as self-important.

I'm grateful to H.H. for writing this because the people running the club do need reminding that we all expect the very best for Villa.  I want to see Paul Lambert getting some serious financial backing for Year Three of his "project" - if he doesn't then I will feel RL and PF have been taking us (and our patience) for a ride these past two years.

Surprised he couldn't find an excuse to fit in a picture of his boat.

or his cars. used to follow his old twitter account; a cringe inducing wankfest from villa fans over his possessions.

have i just written a report?

I see a lot of criticism about the self-importance of the "report". And, for what it is worth, I agree.

However, I can't disagree with anything he has actually said about the board or the manager. And that's more important than the author.

For those trying to "shoot the messenger" over his character - your posts actually sound more bitter than his "report".

Well said.

or his cars. used to follow his old twitter account; a cringe inducing wankfest from villa fans over his possessions.

I see a lot of criticism about the self-importance of the "report". And, for what it is worth, I agree.

However, I can't disagree with anything he has actually said about the board or the manager. And that's more important than the author.

For those trying to "shoot the messenger" over his character - your posts actually sound more bitter than his "report".

Well said.

As far as I've seen there was no mention of his cars, boat etc. in that original post. Interesting that some are bringing what seems like personal jealousy into play here - utterly ridiculous.

I sympathise with Howard, he's obviously unhappy with his treatment - after all, putting money into the club for what is now decades and making 360-mile round trips would tend to grate with our recent turmoil, as it is with the majority of our fan base! Shouldn't have called it a report though - but the 'blog' is illustrative of everything that is wrong with AVFC at the moment, from the manager, to the boardroom and the general happiness of the fans.

I was expecting a report.

That isn't a report. It's a blog post.

He makes some good points, a lot of which I don't disagree with, but I go along with Blandy in that it sounds like he's just a bit pissed off and has gone on a rant.

Not much of that "report" is based on any sort of fact. That's not saying it's wrong, more just that calling it a report is a bit generous.

It's an opinion.

Who gives a damn what it's called, it's what's written in it that's important and I for one is glad he said those things. Too long have fans sucked up to Lerner even though he has turned us into a bigger version of Stoke fighting relegation year after year. It about time we asked some serious questions about where the club is heading.

Well done HH, I tip my hat to you!

• Like 1

There is a delicious irony in that those who constantly refer to Mr. Lerner's inherited wealth are hanging on the every word of Howard Hodgson Junior.

And that is with all respect to HH Junior who, like Mr Lerner, may possibly be capable and successful in his own right.

• Like 2

There is a delicious irony in that those who constantly refer to Mr. Lerner's inherited wealth are hanging on the every word of Howard Hodgson Junior.

And that is with all respect to HH Junior who, like Mr Lerner, may possibly be capable and successful in his own right.

He almost certainly is.  All Lerner has achieved is to run two sports clubs really, really badly.

"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

There maybe motives with HH and I guess being thrown out of the directors box leaves him with nothing to lose...and a bit vexed....but that doesn't detract from the fact that he makes some very apt points and presented in an eloquent manner.

Howard has always been a genuine Villa fan that is blessed with skills that he has offered in the past to help us.

no doubt some posters on here on write with self importance but thats just a side issue that we should ignore and just concentrate on the content.....right or wrong.

I could not agree with you more oz

the self importance is a just a distraction for someone who has the ability to write a report so eloquently.

We all know the problems at B6 but some folk have a better skill base for presenting the argument.....Howard is one of them, Howard also has the business brain to argue that side of the businesss

It must be remembered those of us like NAZ/Carl Chinn/Jonathan Fear who was involved with Villa fans combined back c 2003 was assisted by Howard.....He slipped back in to the back ground since and some of the younger fans no nothing of him.....defusing the self importance accusation.

If Villa was doing everything right and winning matches in a reasonable fashion, I suspect you would once again here nothing from Howard Hodgson as has been the case over the last 10 years or so.....He is our friend not foe.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

There are some excellent writers on this board, some very knowledgeable football fans, but it does tickle me a bit when fans of a lesser knowledge base kinda criticise in a similar way that Howard has received a bit of doubt/flak.....its like sparrows pecking the budgie.

football is of course all about opinions, but just like watching a great footballer and everyone can see his undoubted skill, writers on the game/Villa attract a similar view....we all kinda know when someone is writing good/ accurate stuff.

sorry guys but i do see little bits of this on this board, particularly if you happen to know one of the players and you give a bit of info without divulging the source, because you can't......my god you would be pecked to death for being an ITK

Edited by TRO

Â