The Howard Hodgson report on our club

andykeenan

I don't think you can call Lambert a major disappointment- he has kept Villa up and slashed the wage bill. That he is remit and anything else is window dressing. Until he has a sensible wage budget (sensible in premier league language, in reality our players are still getting paid silly money to run around in circles for a living) I would say you cannot really say he if he is a good manager or not. Once you take the self aggrandising out of the blog, it covers a lot of what Villa fans have been seeing in the past few years.

Interested article with plenty of controversial points and hints at bitterness at no longer being allowed in the director's box. I don't really see it as a report, more of an opinion. I know plenty will agree and other's will disagree but ultimately we all just want the best for our beloved club.

Hodgson Jnr. has every right to hold the views he does about the manager, the board and the club. A few of them I agree with, most I don't.

I think where's he's strongest is on their reaction to criticism - they are over sensitive and heady handed. It's a feature of the board not just at VP, but at many clubs. When they get stung by criticism clubs tend to over-react.

To that point then someone psoting their views is fair enough.

What also comes across, though is rather less appealing. The "report" seems self aggrandising, self important and something of a personal whine. Which rather devalues it's content, whether you agree with it or not.

Most (probably all) fans are unhappy with the results and the style of football at home, in particular. Most are disappointed that this season is as bad as last, with no sign of imporvement or progress. Some think the manager's responsible, some think the board or owner, and some think it's down to injuries and individual players. ALl that's fair and fine and part of the debate we have.

But basically HH has got quite persistent in his criticisms, ended up pissing off the board, got hoofed out of his posh seat as a result, and then written this article/report in response. It's similar in a way to the error made by PF/RL in dealing Heavy Handedly with a critic.

Meh!

I wonder if you would think his "report" was "self aggrandising, self important and something of a personal whine" if he didn't reveal the way the board deals with criticism? It certainly sets the tone for the rest of the article - but, as you mentioned, it was his strongest point.

In fact, the reason it was the report's strongest point is that it was something we did not know. The rest we are all witnesses of.....

... and I find it hard to disagree.

As for losing his seat - how is that even possible? Didn't he pay for that seat? Are they offering him a refund? Or do these seats come with a condition that you must back the current board unconditionally?

Hodgson Jnr. has every right to hold the views he does about the manager, the board and the club. A few of them I agree with, most I don't.

I think where's he's strongest is on their reaction to criticism - they are over sensitive and heady handed. It's a feature of the board not just at VP, but at many clubs. When they get stung by criticism clubs tend to over-react.

To that point then someone psoting their views is fair enough.

What also comes across, though is rather less appealing. The "report" seems self aggrandising, self important and something of a personal whine. Which rather devalues it's content, whether you agree with it or not.

Most (probably all) fans are unhappy with the results and the style of football at home, in particular. Most are disappointed that this season is as bad as last, with no sign of imporvement or progress. Some think the manager's responsible, some think the board or owner, and some think it's down to injuries and individual players. ALl that's fair and fine and part of the debate we have.

But basically HH has got quite persistent in his criticisms, ended up pissing off the board, got hoofed out of his posh seat as a result, and then written this article/report in response. It's similar in a way to the error made by PF/RL in dealing Heavy Handedly with a critic.

Meh!

Completely agree and the other point he makes about Lambert's tactics go directly back to slashing the wage bill and a piss poor midfield. It doesn't surprise me one bit the team tries to completely skip over the midfield by hoofing the ball up to Benteke/Kozak with Guzan and Vlaar. Until Lambert gets prem level funds to assemble a midfield the blame lies elsewhere in my opinion.

Edited by NSmith22

To that point then someone posting their views is fair enough.

Meh!

I wonder if you would think his "report" was "self aggrandising, self important and something of a personal whine" if he didn't reveal the way the board deals with criticism? It certainly sets the tone for the rest of the article - but, as you mentioned, it was his strongest point.

In fact, the reason it was the report's strongest point is that it was something we did not know. ...

Yes I would, Oz.

I tried in my post to seperate out 3 things - his right to have and say his views.

My agreement or otherwise with his views.

The sense of self importance that comes acrosss in the way he's grandstanded his views and in the language he's chosen to use.

I don't think the 'news' that RL and PF can be a bit thin skinned and occasionally make the type of (miss)judgements they have in regard of hoofing HH out of his seat is actually anything we didn't know, or would anticipate, myself. ALso, like I said, it's a common trait across boardrooms everywhere.

Faced with frequent and continuous "you don't know what you're doing" twitters, letters, posts etc. most people would eventually get fed up of it and react with some kind of retaliation.

I don't think they should have done so (based on the information presented from only one side of the story), but I'm not surprised they have, at all.

• Like 1

I think he comes across as very bitter in the article while some of his points maybe correct his tone isnt the best.

My favourite part is people calling Lerner/Faulkner thugs as if they were like Vladimir Putin :D

• Like 2

Does this chap really believe his previous report led to the sale of the club to Randy Lerner????????????????

Only one man decided when was the time to sell, and that was Doug Ellis.   For all his faults, he didn't bow to pressure, he stuck to his guns and did it the way he saw fit - whether we agreed with it or not.

Absolute delusions of grandeur !

I assume by "directors' box" that it means a privately owned area by Lerner/the club, that they invite important customers and the like to as a thank you for spending money with the club.  If it is that, I imagine the club feel they have the right to invite people into it or not as they see fit.  I don't think it's just a normal executive box that a company would take out (and pay for) for corporate entertaining, as they'd surely be on very dodgy legal ground there.

Anyway, I mostly agree with Blandy.  Firstly, it isn't really a "report" and to call it such is a little bit self important.  However, I mostly do agree with the analysis and opinions contained within it, whatever you want to call it.  I wouldn't have mentioned the ejection from the seat thing though, as that does make it seem like a whine, when there's enough bad going on at the club for Howard to have a legitimate moan about.

• Like 3

I was expecting a report.

That isn't a report. It's a blog post.

He makes some good points, a lot of which I don't disagree with, but I go along with Blandy in that it sounds like he's just a bit pissed off and has gone on a rant.

Not much of that "report" is based on any sort of fact. That's not saying it's wrong, more just that calling it a report is a bit generous.

It's an opinion.

• Like 4

I assume by "directors' box" that it means a privately owned area by Lerner/the club, that they invite important customers and the like to as a thank you for spending money with the club.  If it is that, I imagine the club feel they have the right to invite people into it or not as they see fit.  I don't think it's just a normal executive box that a company would take out (and pay for) for corporate entertaining, as they'd surely be on very dodgy legal ground there.

Anyway, I mostly agree with Blandy.  Firstly, it isn't really a "report" and to call it such is a little bit self important.  However, I mostly do agree with the analysis and opinions contained within it, whatever you want to call it.  I wouldn't have mentioned the ejection from the seat thing though, as that does make it seem like a whine, when there's enough bad going on at the club for Howard to have a legitimate moan about.

Thanks for clearing up the seat thing. Makes sense.

Â