The Howard Hodgson report on our club

andykeenan

Great article and will pretty much sum up people moods on our club

http://avillafan.com/site/11469/the-hodgson-report-on-aston-villa-11-years-after-the-original/

and I believe we have only won two games by a two goal margin and none by three or more.

He has forgotten the 6-1 spanking we gave Sunderland (and of course the 4-1 spanking of Norwich :D)).

Perhaps a stupid question but who is Howard Hodgson? To say that he was commissioned to write a report suggests he's a professional consultant or something? It doesn't really come across as being particularly balanced - surely in the changing dynamics of PL football you can't really keep comparing current league finishes with those from 10-12 years ago?

Anyone can write a blog like that and post it on the internet. Was he really responsible for forcing Doug to sell the club in 2006 as he claims? - that sounds like a slightly ludicrous claim... If that were true he's therefore partly responsible for the club's current state :-)

• Like 1

The ffp rules have ballsed up any hopes of takeovers for premier league teams, championship clubs are taken over quite regularly nowadays because just getting to the prem is a financial jackpot, no one, no matter how many billions he had will look at Aston villa & think sinking £500million into us to get us challenging again is a good idea.

A genuine question to all of those who believe RL should go, who do you want to replace him?

What do you see that owner doing?

How much of a commitment to the Club would you expect him to make?

Would that be simply a gift to the club or in the form of a loan?

How hands on would you expect him to be?

How much wealth do you anticipate that he has?

and then, taking all of that into account, why on earth do you think that he would pour that money into a loss making football club that has never generated enough income to compete on equal financial terms with the big clubs?

I'm just curious, because for all the faults that RL may have, I see plenty of clubs in a far worse position in terms of owners than us and particularly those that have been bought post-2008, both in England and internationally. RL has regularly put substantial amounts of personal wealth into the club, and i think the recent decision to convert almost GBP100m of that from debt into equity deserves far more credit that he is given...

I have been involved in the sale of two premier league clubs, one pre-GFC and one post... its certainly a very different world to the glory days that saw clubs like chelsea and man city acquired by someone looking to make a statement to the tunes of hundreds of millions or more...

New UK owner?

Asian - chinese? Indonesian? Malaysian? Singaporean?

Russian? are there any left that would pour hundreds of millions into Villa?

American?

South American?

Middle Eastern?

Am genuinely curious as to where people think that a new owner is going to come from and on what terms he is going to come in....

You make a very good point and when speaking about Randy i could praise him and criticise him in the same breath.

I find it difficult to unconditionally praise him and equally criticise him....He has pumped much money in to have it squandered by poor transfer market dealings, admittedly by managers he has appointed, but surely he has empowered them to do a job....on the other hand I don't think he has done enough to ensure football Nous is rife at the club, when Howard Hodgson refers to the invincibility of the manager, he may have a point, there is no one at the club to be in a position to challenge the manager.

This is the perfect scenario the likes of Brian Clough was looking for all his life.... a non interfering Owner, until he realised that the managers can't buy, that may not have happened with Brian and an austerity programme may have never materialised with him in charge( because he bought well)....hypothetical I know.

Edited by TRO

Anyone know the Boparan's, Ranjit and Baljindar. Birminghams very own Billionaires ? Number 46 on UK wealthiest list. Net worth £1.1billion.

Yep, I know Ranjit.

If you are looking for investment from him , forget it.

Anyone know the Boparan's, Ranjit and Baljindar. Birminghams very own Billionaires ? Number 46 on UK wealthiest list. Net worth £1.1billion.

at the rate we have bought poor players, you would need Bill Gates.....1.1 Billion is not nearly enough net worth for us.

A genuine question to all of those who believe RL should go, who do you want to replace him?

What do you see that owner doing?

How much of a commitment to the Club would you expect him to make?

Would that be simply a gift to the club or in the form of a loan?

How hands on would you expect him to be?

How much wealth do you anticipate that he has?

and then, taking all of that into account, why on earth do you think that he would pour that money into a loss making football club that has never generated enough income to compete on equal financial terms with the big clubs?

I'm just curious, because for all the faults that RL may have, I see plenty of clubs in a far worse position in terms of owners than us and particularly those that have been bought post-2008, both in England and internationally. RL has regularly put substantial amounts of personal wealth into the club, and i think the recent decision to convert almost GBP100m of that from debt into equity deserves far more credit that he is given...

I have been involved in the sale of two premier league clubs, one pre-GFC and one post... its certainly a very different world to the glory days that saw clubs like chelsea and man city acquired by someone looking to make a statement to the tunes of hundreds of millions or more...

New UK owner?

Asian - chinese? Indonesian? Malaysian? Singaporean?

Russian? are there any left that would pour hundreds of millions into Villa?

American?

South American?

Middle Eastern?

Am genuinely curious as to where people think that a new owner is going to come from and on what terms he is going to come in....

I don't actually want him to leave - but saying "we don't know who/what is out there" is not a compelling reason to keep any incumbent in any job, let alone a club owner.

After all, it wasn't that long ago when people were hoping Doug would sell up while not knowing who would come in.

As for what is out there? Another person/consortium with enough money to meet Randy's asking price would be my guess for next owner. Oh, and they'd be flawed too - they're only human.

the point is, i agree that few are prepared to pay the asking price for ownership of a PL club these days, but also note that randy's asking price is actually a fraction of the investment that a new owner is required to commit to allow a club to stand still, much less go forward....

to put it into context, how much of your total worth would any of you, as dedicated and passionate villa fans be prepared to give to the club.... would you still be prepared to do that if you were ridiculed for doing so, and subject to calls for you to get out of the club?

if we look at RL, say he has put in 250m into the club, which i'm guessing is conservatively 25 per cent of his net worth, although in reality may be a much higher percentage... that amount still has villa making an annual loss, has us with the inability to sign players of more than say 8m and is apparently insufficient to keep the club comfortably mid-table.

In other words, has this amount, 250m donation, which to all intents and purposes is now a donation to the club, as he recently waived a large chunk of the loan that he had previously loaned the club, been sufficient to keep the fans on his side?

when i look at RL and what he has done in his tenure, i feel that while we'd all love to be doing better than we are at the moment, in terms of who our owner is, we could have done much much worse....

we're still wearing claret and blue

we're still called aston villa

we're still in the premiership

we've had substantial amounts of money put into the club regularly when the amount of revenue that we generate has been insufficient to fund player acquisitions etc

we have first class facilities

we have stuck by a manager after backing him to the tune of 16 new players to allow that manager's strategy time to work - how many of the club's adopting a merry go round strategy are finding that it is working for them?

we do not have a friend of the owner's son as director of football

we are not in a position where we would immediately go into administration if he stopped giving money to the club

we have a pool of players that are now generally increasing in value

we had three players in garth crook's team of the week at the weekend

despite the glory day's of villa seem a long way in the past and watching us play most weekends is frustrating to say the least, i for one, am cautious in running with the calls for  RL out, PL out, for fear that what we would most likely end up with would be substantially worse than what we currently have...

also, when i look at the owners of the clubs outside the biggies, man u, chelsea, man city, liverpool, arsenal, spurs, i'm curious as to which owners would people rather have owning villa?

• Like 2

The word 'report' is misleading because he references the 2003 report (which was an actual professional report) to try and make himself seem more credible when really all he's writing is a blog post.

As I said, a lot of what he says is fair and I agree with, but he chatted and retweeted so much shite on Twitter, I had to unfollow him.

Have you read the 2003 report ? - There is a section on Angel\Doug Ellis shooting trip - which is complete hearsay - so whilst the 2003 report has a glossy cover the content and tone is pretty similar - both are pretty valid and IMO accurate opinions of whats wrong at our club at the time of writting.

My opinion is that Lerner has little time or money to invest in Aston Villa. His involvement is minimal - he probably sits down once a year - agrees a budget and thats it. Faulkner runs on a daily basis - but refers any big decisions to Randy. I think in the circs Lambert is the best we can hope for - but in sense he has an easy ride, he can easily bullsh*t Faulkner with talk of progress and young and hungry players - Faulkner \ Lerner ain't going to sack him, I thinik they live in daily fear of another manager hunt , which exposes there shortcomings....

Lambert isn't perfect - but at this point Id stick with him, as I dread to think who Lerner would turn to next ....and theres the whole problem, the guy at very top really has very little idea how to run a football club.

• Like 2

Perhaps a stupid question but who is Howard Hodgson? To say that he was commissioned to write a report suggests he's a professional consultant or something? It doesn't really come across as being particularly balanced - surely in the changing dynamics of PL football you can't really keep comparing current league finishes with those from 10-12 years ago?

Anyone can write a blog like that and post it on the internet. Was he really responsible for forcing Doug to sell the club in 2006 as he claims? - that sounds like a slightly ludicrous claim... If that were true he's therefore partly responsible for the club's current state :-)

My thoughts exactly, it's just another Villa fan giving his opinion and we're meant to stand up and take particular attention just because he's met with and spoken to some of the clubs heirachy in the past, effing ridiculous

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly, it's just another Villa fan giving his opinion and we're meant to stand up and take particular attention just because he's met with and spoken to some of the clubs heirachy in the past, effing ridiculous

I paid attention because his points were valid. I don't really care who he knows or where he sits.

• Like 2

As much as i agree with a majority of what he says, to claim credit for his last 'report' being one of the reasons Doug sold up, really? It was 3 and a half years later that Doug sold up, Doug didn't care what anyone thought about the running of the club, their were countless protests between 2003/2006 that you could argue were the catalyst for the clubs sale, but ultimately Doug only sold because he could no longer deal with the day to day running of the club becauseof his health, not because someone who payed a few thousand pounds to sponsor games and brought a box decided to write a report on what was wrong with the club

• Like 3

Â