What Do We Need Next Season?

P3te

Been thinking about this one  a fair bit this week, and I think we've still got quite a bit of work to do in the summer - and it won't be cheap.

Looking at the group of players that's considered the first team at the moment, it's clear that we need quite a few bodies in, albeit ones of a much higher standard. Assuming we've not got buckets of cash to spend, what does everyone  think we need?

For me, I view the current squad as:

Guzan - Good enough to keep in the starting XI
Steer - Keep as backup - not good enough for  first XI

Given - Needs to go
GK Summary: Top notch starting keeper, mediocre but young backup, bring a third choice in from the academy

Hutton - Needs to go

Baker - Keep as backup - not good enough for  first XI yet, but might be
Bennett - Not good enough for  first XI yet, and unlikely to be. Either he or Luna needs to go

Vlaar - Good enough to keep in the starting XI
Okore - Unproven, but for now I'm happy to say let's add him to the starting XI list if he comes back fit and healthy
Clark - Keep as backup - not good enough for  first XI yet, but might be
Luna - Not good enough for  first XI yet, and unlikely to be. Either he or Bennett needs to go
Bertrand - Good enough to keep in the starting XI if we can get him
Lowton - Needs to go if he's proving to be a bit of bother off the pitch, which would look like being the case
Stevens - Needs to go
Defence Summary: We've got 2 centre backs for the first XI and one left back if we can keep Bertrand. We need 2 right backs in, one up there with Bertrand in terms of quality, and one as backup, so a younger prospect would be fine, and a good solid CB - I'd be happy enough with a 30-something there to be honest, someone with a bit of experience on a Bosman maybe? Okay for backup with one of Luna or Bennett for LB and Clark and Baker for CB.

Nzogbia - Not consistent enough for the first XI, and paid too much to keep around  on the bench. Needs to go (but not necessarily because he's rubbish)
Bacuna - Started very well for us, but I'd rather have him there as an option rather than guaranteed starter
El Ahmedi - Doesn't  deserve the flak he gets, but needs to be replaced and moved on due to his limitations
Albrighton - I really like Marc. Give him a new 2 year deal and keep him here - but this'll depend on what kind of formation and style we're looking at long-term

Westwood - Great last season, not very good this season. I'd keep him as backup and see if he can force his way in

Delph - Good enough to keep in the starting XI, though how he's used will depend on how we plan to play

Herd - Needs to go
Sylla - Thought he'd kick on a lot more this season. Not being used, so get rid
Gary Gardner - Doesn't look like he's got a future here
Tonev - I'm a firm believer in giving players at least 2 years. Hold onto him, keep him on the bench and see if he can break through
Midfield Summary: This all really depends on how we're going to play. If we're going with 3 CMs, then we need to buy one enforcer and one box to box player at least. If we're planning on playing with 2, then we need someone we're never going to be able to get to sit in with Delph. I don't think that's a realistic option though (obviously). If we're going to play with wingers outside the 3 in the middle, which I believe we should, then we need a new left and right winger. Gabby and Andi aren't wingers, and with Kozak likely to be our main man next season (can't see Benteke being here this time next year), we need someone getting crosses into the box. Marc can do a job, but if better is available we need to buy and  push him out to the bench.

Benteke - Can't see him being a Villa player in September
Kozak - With the right service, I believe he can be lethal. He's shown he can take chances, and he's decent in the air if we get crosses in

Agbonlahor - Gabby is the conundrum. He's not a striker, and he's not a winger. We need his pace for counter attacking, but he can't really do much apart from run in a straight line really fast. His control has improved a bit, but his  finishing  seems to be getting worse. He's not going to play as a lone man up front, and putting  him on the wing isn't really doing us any good unless we brought in an actual winger who can play right or left, and  have them switch regularly  during games. That's the only way I can see him  working. He's too good for our bench though, which begs the  question - what the hell do we do with him?

Weimann - Been poor this season, but has been called the  best natural finisher at the club. Use him in rotation with Kozak for me

Bowery - Needs to go

Bent - If  nobody takes him  in the summer, I'd give him a squad number and reintegrate him to be honest. There might just be that odd occasion where you need someone  like him there to poach. He won't  add much beyond that, and he certainly won't create anything for others, but if we're going to pay him, we might as well have him earn it in somehow.
Attacking Summary: In some ways we're pretty solid in attack, and in others we're awful. The issue comes down to not knowing how the midfield works, so that'll be key. I  don't think we need to bring any forwards in this summer though. Get the midfield right, figure out the plan(s) of attack, and work with what we've got, because we've got a little bit of everything in Kozak, Gabby and Andi. The most effective use of each of them would require a completely different midfield system though

Then we've  got the (relatively) unknown quantities in the academy guys. Obviously we're all looking forward to seeing Jack make his first team debut, but where does he fit into any system we might play under Lambert? Unless we make some amazing CM signings we're nowhere near strong enough in the centre to have a number 10 playing, which Jack looks like he might be able to slot into. Is he any good on the wing? Can he cross? If so, that might be the best initial fit for him, but Jack on one side and Marc on the other probably won't leave too many fullbacks sleepless the night before a game in terms of prospective physical battles.

The Hit List:
In order of necessity, I believe we require:
1) Strong, solid, reliable, experienced centre back
2) A strong, technically capable unit of a midfielder
3) First team right back

4) A box to box midfielder
5) A left winger

6) A right winger
7) A backup right back

Realistically, we're looking at a minimum of 5 signings who will all play 25+ games a season, and who aren't  coming from a couple of levels below where we are right now, and 2 that can come in and make 10 or so starts, and another 20-odd sub appearances throughout the season. That's not going to come cheap, but if we get £20m for Benteke, the owner puts in his usual £20m and we take £10m from the new TV money, we should have enough there to bring in what we need (on paper at least)

• Like 1

Kind of depends what division we're in

I'm quite surprised at how many people seem to think we are in trouble. We aren't great but we get points here and there and I am not remotely concerned about the drop. Not at all. There are 5 worse teams at least.

In answer to the OP, we need to "spend sam fackin maney!" as the Arsenal fans advised the board to do when we stuffed them in August. Somehow though, I doubt we will be seeing Mesut Ozil turning up but we live in hope.....

Keeping okore fit, with vlaar & baker will be acceptable next season, lowtons fall from grace is remarkable so you wonder if he will still be here? So mayby a new RB

At left back, id love to see us keep Bertrand but can't see that happening, clubs in much better conditions than ours will take him unless, we can convince him that this vision the three stooges have is actually going to happen

Midfield needs a complete re build - again, Albrighton & delph aside im fed up of watching us lose games in the middle of the pitch

Up front is reliant on benteke staying, if he does then were good up front

The Hit List:

In order of necessity, I believe we require:

1) Strong, solid, reliable, experienced centre back - hangeland

2) A strong, technically capable unit of a midfielder - Chalobah

3) First team right back - Naughton

4) A box to box midfielder - Holtby

5) A left winger - Redmond

6) A right winger - Bolasie

7) A backup right back - if lowton leaves promote within team

I don't see any change coming....despite the prospect of new players, I think its bigger than all that.

I think a radical change is required. I have always supported Randy, yes he has hired some duffers but what owner hasn't, (Spurs have had their fair share of bad managers)

.We have bought our unfair share of shit players, but I put that down to the Managers rather than him, yes he appoints the manager, but he don't choose the players....and he don't work with them at BMH, judging by them ,not sure anyone else does either.

It appears to me that in all the key area's of the club there is a gross inexperience, that is having an adverse effect on the club....until some real decision making Nous comes in to the club, with the clubs interests at heart, I don't see any change likely.

• Like 1

I think its a question of quality of quantity in the summer as HH alluded to, so doubt very much whether he will bring in 7 new players.  We'll definately look for a left back and a am. i think the manager has almost given up on Tonev. I think he has enough cbs.  So I reckon 3 to 4 signings depending on whether Benteke stays or not,

If benteke leaves we need a quality striker. None of the current players are good enough to replace him. The thought of kozak as our main striker just upsets me.

We need a creative midfield player and a strong defensive midfield player.

We need 2 fullbacks

We need a decent cb to cover vlaar.

We could also do with a quality wide player.

Still plenty to be done.

If benteke leaves we need a quality striker. None of the current players are good enough to replace him. The thought of kozak as our main striker just upsets me.

We need a creative midfield player and a strong defensive midfield player.

We need 2 fullbacks

We need a decent cb to cover vlaar.

We could also do with a quality wide player.

Still plenty to be done.

We do have Okore and Clark and Baker as cover. Unless we are very unlucky again next season I think we are reasonably well covered there. I just think we need to look at signing less players but better quality than last summer.  

Sell 75% of the players Lambert brought in and replace them with some quality. We dont need the Mata's or hazards (not that we would get them), just players who are looking to progress, as the players we have don't seem to be getting any better and are happy just plodding through. We may even have to change the manager, there is no doubt he is poor tactically and rarely gets it right, If I was asked if it's the players or manager, for me it would be 60-40 Lambert!!

• Like 1

Kiyotake is supposed to be available on the cheap isn't he? I can see us being in for him and I'm pretty sure a deal for Bertrand can be done. Then £12m split between a defensive midfielder and a winger would be nice. I hope Lowton stays and sorts himself out. I'm not sure it's worth signing another centre half if they're just going to be 4th choice. If Benteke is sold we can reinvest in other areas as well but I think clubs may have been a bit put off by him this season.

GK is fine. Sell Given no replacement needed.

Need a new left back and Bertrand would be fine if available. Sell Bennett

New right back first 11 quality. Sell Hutton.

New Centre back first 11 quality leaving Okore to fight for a starting place and having Clark and Baker as backup. Sell Herd

New attacking and defensive midfielder. Keep Albrighton, Delph, Westwood, N'Zogbia and Bacuna. Sell Tonev, El Ahmadi, Sylla.

Two new WIDE forwards (Someone like Nani but not Nani of course) Keep Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Kozak. Sell Bowrey and Helenius.

I obviously don't expect us to buy 7 new players of good first 11 quality but getting 3 in will make a big improvement leaving the rest to come in a year later.

I believe this would make us a very competitive side that would be capable of finishing somewhere between 6th and 8th.

• Like 1

It is time to start getting rid of the fringe players:

Sylla, Gardener, Bowery, Hutton, Given, KEA, (Luna or Bennet), Herd.

It would be great if we could keep Benteke but think we'll be very lucky if he stays beyond the summer, especially if he has a good World Cup. If we do cash in on him then you would hope we could get at least another striker and a creative midfielder out of that money. I realise we have Kozak, Weimann, Helenius and Gabby (and possibly Bent and Bowery if they return) but none of them are a patch on Tekkers.

I think there is more to come from Bennett and I would love to see Carruthers and Grealish in the mix. I would like to see Lowton come good also, but no idea if he will.

Guzan

RB -- Vlaar -- Okore -- Betrand

Albrighton -- Delph -- AM -- RM

Benteke -- Gabby

Subs: Baker, Westwood, Clark, Kozak, Bacuna, Weimann, Zog (good enough to start if he comes back strong but maybe sold).

Edited by VillanousOne

As things stand now, I think this is what we need.

----------------Guzan

RB------Vlaar-----Okore------Bertrand

----------DM----Delph/Westwood

Weimann-------AMC----------------Gabby

---------------Benteke

Two strong midfielders - one that is a creative attacking midfielder and another strong defensive one. Then we need a right back if Lowton doesn't sort himself out. Quality over quantity this summer please. If we get these in then we can focus on backup.

I obviously don't expect us to buy 7 new players of good first 11 quality but getting 3 in will make a big improvement leaving the rest to come in a year later.

I believe this would make us a very competitive side that would be capable of finishing somewhere between 6th and 8th.

Getting 3 in will make us capable of 6th to 8th or getting 7 in?

Â