The Boring Thread

Spoony

On 08/09/2023 at 23:41, luckyeddie said:

I would correct him, because if the boot was on the other foot I would want him to correct me to improve my language. He probably wouldn't see it as an insult because to become that good at a second language, he has probably been corrected thousands of times. That said, email him in case he kicks off 😉

when I lived in Hungary , one of my friends was an a English teacher ,  now and then as a favour  I’d give her students  a lesson so they could speak with a real English person , practise what they’ve learnt , get some confidence etc. 

they were all pretty good but pronounced sword with a real emphasis on the W  like Sw ord. and fruit like Fru It

i helpfully explained this wasn’t the correct pronouncement and none of them would accept it as this was how their teacher (who’d never set foot in England )  had taught them to say it 

I often wonder if  they still pronounce it like that to this day 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

when I lived in Hungary , one of my friends was an a English teacher ,  now and then as a favour  I’d give her students  a lesson so they could speak with a real English person , practise what they’ve learnt , get some confidence etc. 

they were all pretty good but pronounced sword with a real emphasis on the W  like Sw ord. and fruit like Fru It

i helpfully explained this wasn’t the correct pronouncement and none of them would accept it as this was how their teacher (who’d never set foot in England )  had taught them to say it 

I often wonder if  they still pronounce it like that to this day 

When I moved up to Yorkshire, just south of Barnsley, I could not understand half of what people were saying.

The language

Supping is drinking

Laking is playing

To learn someone is to teach someone

And the pronunciation

Coit is coat

Huick is hook

Oil is hole 

Watter is water

Beyuns is beans

Lord knows how foreigners learn the language round here.

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Thats what they say in New Zealand " That il learn yer" meaning that will teach you.

It's something said round here too, but also as a punchline to highlight your own stupidity. 

The Toad, having finished his breakfast, picked up a stout stick and swung it vigorously, belabouring imaginary animals. `I'll learn 'em to steal my house!' he cried. `I'll learn 'em, I'll learn 'em!'

`Don't say "learn 'em," Toad,' said the Rat, greatly shocked. `It's not good English.'

`What are you always nagging at Toad for?' inquired the Badger, rather peevishly. `What's the matter with his English? It's the same what I use myself, and if it's good enough for me, it ought to be good enough for you!'

`I'm very sorry,' said the Rat humbly. `Only I think it ought to be "teach 'em," not "learn 'em."'

`But we don't want to teach 'em,' replied the Badger. `We want to learn 'em--learn 'em, learn 'em! And what's more, we're going to do it, too!'

`Oh, very well, have it your own way,' said the Rat. He was getting rather muddled about it himself, and presently he retired into a corner, where he could be heard muttering, `Learn 'em, teach 'em, teach 'em, learn 'em!' till the Badger told him rather sharply to leave off.

Kenneth Grahame: 'The Wind in the Willows', chapter 11.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Yeah, they say I will learn you how to...

Took some getting use to

It's not specifically south Yorkshire though, it's just a common incorrect usage. Much like lend/borrow ("Can I lend a tenner off you?"). 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's not specifically south Yorkshire though, it's just a common incorrect usage. Much like lend/borrow ("Can I lend a tenner off you?"). 

Right, didn't know it was used elsewhere. They say that one round here too, but only in the Barnsley area, not Rotherham, Sheffield or Doncaster.  It's as if the language and accent of the Barnsley area are stuck 200 years ago, like how we observe Shakespeare as English, but not modern.

24 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Right, didn't know it was used elsewhere. They say that one round here too, but only in the Barnsley area, not Rotherham, Sheffield or Doncaster.  It's as if the language and accent of the Barnsley area are stuck 200 years ago, like how we observe Shakespeare as English, but not modern.

Barnsley folk are, indeed, 'special'. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have two pairs of slippers, one is for unsheathed feet and the other pair is for sheathed feet. The latter were about £25 and the former were around £3. I always liked the former but they were wearing down as basically I have hooves and I wear them all of the time indoors. I just did the school run leaving my unsheathed feet slippers in the house and they have been destroyed by my dog, so now my sheathed feet slippers have been downgraded to unsheathed.

My slippers are a pair of indoor plimsolls that I bought from a shoezone for about £7.99.

Basically I wear them until they get worn out then buy another pair.

Worn with socks or without. Most of the time with.

I would have them on now but I think they’re upstairs.

Just now, Xela said:

I just can't get on with slippers.

Just socks for me. 

I find if I’m indoors all day at home, I need a bit of arch support. My feet can ache after few hours.

Never been one for wacky slippers though. My mate had a pair of monster feet slippers (think the feet of the gruffalo)  which I always thought looked like they’d be a proper pain going up and down the stairs.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I've started using a mouse with laptops again. 

I use a mouse with the Windows/Linux Laptop and not with my Mac one. Depending on which I've used most recently, it always feels weird, because they're all quite different - on the Mac, I'll reach for the non-existent mouse, on the Windows i"ll do the click the mouse wheel to paste, which it doesn't do (only Linux does that) and on Linux I'll press the key which on the Mac is "command" but isn't on Linux....

I'd love to bin the mouse off, but the HP laptop trackpad is sh*te.

And then there's updates - like the other day the Linux OS updated and then wifi was gone. So with it not connected to the internet, and no ethernet port how was I supposed to fix it. Had to find a lead for my phone, connect that to the Laptop, use the phone as a wired connection, research how to fix the missing wifi extension(s) and then tart about in terminal to get them back. I did it, but what a faff.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I use a mouse with the Windows/Linux Laptop and not with my Mac one. Depending on which I've used most recently, it always feels weird, because they're all quite different - on the Mac, I'll reach for the non-existent mouse, on the Windows i"ll do the click the mouse wheel to paste, which it doesn't do (only Linux does that) and on Linux I'll press the key which on the Mac is "command" but isn't on Linux....

I'd love to bin the mouse off, but the HP laptop trackpad is sh*te.

And then there's updates - like the other day the Linux OS updated and then wifi was gone. So with it not connected to the internet, and no ethernet port how was I supposed to fix it. Had to find a lead for my phone, connect that to the Laptop, use the phone as a wired connection, research how to fix the missing wifi extension(s) and then tart about in terminal to get them back. I did it, but what a faff.

I've been managing with a touchpad for years, but where it really became a ballsache was on my music recording laptop, when trying to get fine adjustments with the sliders on the virtual 'mixing desk'. WAY easier with a mouse. I was expecting to have to piss about defining a new controller in the Windows settings, but no - plug the USB dongle into the laptop, switch on the mouse, and it just works. So I immediately got another one for my other laptop. 

• Like 1

Â