• Fabian Delph
    • Karim El-Ahmadi
    • Leandro Bacuna
    • Andreas Weimann
    • Christian Benteke
    • Yacouba Sylla (for El-Ahmadi 76)
    • Grant Holt (for Lowton 65)
    • Nathan Baker (for Weimann 80)

Great night, Vlaar tremendous especially 2nd Half.  Those who say Westwood can't tackle should re -watch that cruncher near the corner flag - Roy Keane esq.  Dont agree that KEA was poor - full of running, imagination, closing down, good 1 touch passing.  Clearly tired after an hour.  Delph MOM - immense.  If Bergkamp had scored that goal it would be all over the papers.

Wasn't convinced about the way PL used his subs to close the game but it worked.  Holt gave them a reason to think at the back.

Only sour note - the incredible moaning after their 2nd goal went in.

Other teams are allowed to score !!  Turned to those near me and 'politely' - ? - pointed out there were still 80 minutes to go...modern fans my God.  Then we score and they are right behind the team.  Personally I'd rather they didn't show up at all.

Yep, I think Owen scored after 5 minutes. Petrov and Mellberg had a bad game on the right flank and had a little row and both were subbed after the first half. Carew scored a hat trick and about norwegian Villans were there to watch it. :) And Bouma scored an unstoppable belter...

In 1983 this happened according to the Guardian:

9.06pm GMT

"You may already have this," says my colleague Rob Smyth, mistaking me for someon who knows a lot about football, "but on the opening day of the 83-84 season Villa v West Brom was 4-3 at half-time (and stayed 4-3)."

But looking at the video, it looks like Aston Villa scored the last goal in the second half, making it 3-3 at half time. I may be wrong. Anybody knows when the goals went in? Cant't find it on Google.

Anyways, great game!!!! Wohooooo UTV!

Same shirts, too! 

KEA - 4.5 - Sold himself for first goal, slow to react to the quick free kick that led to second goal, continually slowed the ball when in possession, can't remember a single forward pass. Worked hard.

Amazing isnt it that 2 people can watch a game yet have 2 completely different views of a player.

I thought he was outstanding tonight!

He is the only one in the midfield who constantly wants to play 1 touch, so to say he slowed it down is just plain wrong.

His work rate was 2nd to none too!

Because of how narrow we was it was his job to come out to the right and close down ridgewell  and this is something he failed to do most the game. He tried to but he was so slow he couldnt seem to get down fast enough to cover the ground he was required to the complete opposite to delph on the left hand side. For this reason i would also give him a low rating. He did try hard but was not good enough for what as required from him

Edited by Tezvilla

Great night, Vlaar tremendous especially 2nd Half.  Those who say Westwood can't tackle should re -watch that cruncher near the corner flag - Roy Keane esq.  Dont agree that KEA was poor - full of running, imagination, closing down, good 1 touch passing.  Clearly tired after an hour.  Delph MOM - immense.  If Bergkamp had scored that goal it would be all over the papers.

Wasn't convinced about the way PL used his subs to close the game but it worked.  Holt gave them a reason to think at the back.

Only sour note - the incredible moaning after their 2nd goal went in.

Other teams are allowed to score !!  Turned to those near me and 'politely' - ? - pointed out there were still 80 minutes to go...modern fans my God.  Then we score and they are right behind the team.  Personally I'd rather they didn't show up at all.

I think any set of fans in their right mind would moan after the cluster **** the second goal was and being we had only scored 8 goals at home all season...you must be an eternal optimist.

KEA - 4.5 - Sold himself for first goal, slow to react to the quick free kick that led to second goal, continually slowed the ball when in possession, can't remember a single forward pass. Worked hard.

Amazing isnt it that 2 people can watch a game yet have 2 completely different views of a player.

I thought he was outstanding tonight!

He is the only one in the midfield who constantly wants to play 1 touch, so to say he slowed it down is just plain wrong.

His work rate was 2nd to none too!

Because of how narrow we was it was his job to come out to the right and close down ridgewell  and this is something he failed to do most the game. He tried to but he was so slow he couldnt seem to get down fast enough to cover the ground he was required to the complete opposite to delph on the left hand side. For this reason i would also give him a low rating. He did try hard but was not good enough for what as required from him

As far as I was concerned he had to cover the whole right hand side of the pitch as Westwood barely broke sweat.

Oh and I heard Gobbie Cabbage say our penalty was "soft" after saying Suarez's was a stone wall...these are the people the BBC are paying with our licence fees people.

Edited by Oaks

Oh and I heard Gobbie Cabbage say our penalty was "soft" after saying Suarez's was a stone wall...these are the people the BBC are paying with our licence fees people.

That's because Gobby is a sensationalist prick with about three brain cells

• Like 1

That's because Gobby is a sensationalist prick with about three brain cells

Three? You're being generous today Rob.

• Like 1

After the nightmare start, I can't remember being so excited watching a Villa game in a long time. I've been very critical of him this season but Weimann was excellent, took his goal tremendously well. Second goal started with a confident run by Bertrand, his difference in quality to Luna is startling. Delph was brilliant in midfield and he deserves his first PL goal at home; he topped his strike against Southampton and he continues to be our player of the season for me. Bacuna had some decent moments but I'm still not sure what his best position is for us, Lowton looked better especially going forward and his general distribution. 

Second half was understandably a less frantic affair. Benteke's brutal persistence paid off and I thought he looked a beast. I gave him MOM because he was involved in every goal, sometimes by his mere presence. West Brom couldn't handle him (unless they literally did for the penalty) and when Benteke plays well, so do those around him. Vlaar was also a beast second half and just as important for the team, Clark seemed quite rash which does happen when he plays against a striker with sufficient strength but Vlaar showed a lot of experience.

We held out well and it was a thrilling game. Although I was delighted with the Man City and Southampton wins, we actually deserved it this game and there was know niggling doubts if we were just flukey. Well done boys.   

Yep, I think Owen scored after 5 minutes. Petrov and Mellberg had a bad game on the right flank and had a little row and both were subbed after the first half. Carew scored a hat trick and about norwegian Villans were there to watch it. :) And Bouma scored an unstoppable belter...

Yep and Harewood was absolutely magnificent.

Â