• Karim El-Ahmadi
    • Leandro Bacuna
    • Andreas Weimann
    • Christian Benteke
    • Yacouba Sylla (for El-Ahmadi 76)
    • Grant Holt (for Lowton 65)
    • Nathan Baker (for Weimann 80)

Thought Benteke was average today.

Offside so many times and failed to pass at least twice to players completely open in scoring positions. If he'd pass we would have finished them off.

Didn't understand our subs today either, could have lost it at the end.

Nevertheless great 3 points… Weimann was incredible, Delph fantastic, Vlaar rock solid. Onwards and Upwards but we need 2 top class midfielders and pronto if we are to improve!

The subs were a masterstroke and won it for us. They were always going to throw everyone forward and Lambert anticipated that and went 5 at the back at exactly the same time. If he failed to act they would probably have scored.

• Like 2

In 1983 this happened according to the Guardian:

9.06pm GMT

"You may already have this," says my colleague Rob Smyth, mistaking me for someon who knows a lot about football, "but on the opening day of the 83-84 season Villa v West Brom was 4-3 at half-time (and stayed 4-3)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9pxPSip2bc

But looking at the video, it looks like Aston Villa scored the last goal in the second half, making it 3-3 at half time. I may be wrong. Anybody knows when the goals went in? Cant't find it on Google.

Anyways, great game!!!! Wohooooo UTV!

Yeah my dad text me at half time today about that game, was 3-3 at HT apparently and we won 4-3

Deja vu! Almost!

After 8 minutes I was doing all I could to suppress my anger! Then we scored 3 in twenty minutes and I was thinking we might thump them! As it turned out we all had our hands in mouths for the rest of the match!

Guzan - 7 - No chance for any of the goals, made and couple of good saves in the second half.

Bertrand - 7 - Was solid enough in defense, ok going forward, not at fault for any of the goals.

Clark - 5 - Terrible mix up with Vlaar for 3rd Albion goal, terrible distribution, otherwise ok.

Vlaar - 8 - F**K know how many we would've conceded if he wasn't marshalling our defense, great tackling in the box!

Lowton - 5 - Kept making poor decisions in attack, between him, KEA and Westwood Brunt should've been closed down, and allowed the cross to come in for second albion goal.

Westwood - 4 - Should've been quicker to close down brunt, should've tracked Mulumbu's run for 3rd albion goal, predictable passing, think he needs to be benched, until he learns how to defend.

KEA - 4.5 - Sold himself for first goal, slow to react to the quick free kick that led to second goal, continually slowed the ball when in possession, can't remember a single forward pass. Worked hard.

Delph - 7 - Worked hard. Him, Bertrand and the 3 most attacking players combined well on the left flank to give Reid a torrid time. Great goal, faded second half and gave a lot of ball away in the final half hour.

Bacuna - 7 - Worked hard, scored, looked decent in wide positions not so much in the hole. Looks best on right midfield or central midfield when he can run from deep like Delph.

Weiman - 8 - Constant threat, clever finish for goal, worked hard, our most creative player. (gave him MOM as his opening goal was absolutely crucial and I can't give a defender MOM when we conceded 3 goals.

Benteke - 7.5 - Won almost every ball that came his way, held it up well, cool penalty, link play was good (could be better by his standards though), should've finished baggies off in first half!

• Like 1

In 1983 this happened according to the Guardian:

9.06pm GMT

"You may already have this," says my colleague Rob Smyth, mistaking me for someon who knows a lot about football, "but on the opening day of the 83-84 season Villa v West Brom was 4-3 at half-time (and stayed 4-3)."

But looking at the video, it looks like Aston Villa scored the last goal in the second half, making it 3-3 at half time. I may be wrong. Anybody knows when the goals went in? Cant't find it on Google.

Anyways, great game!!!! Wohooooo UTV!

Psycho Evans! My all time favourite!! Get in!!!

After 8 minutes I was doing all I could to suppress my anger! Then we scored 3 in twenty minutes and I was thinking we might thump them! As it turned out we all had our hands in mouths for the rest of the match!

Guzan - 7 - No chance for any of the goals, made and couple of good saves in the second half.

Bertrand - 7 - Was solid enough in defense, ok going forward, not at fault for any of the goals.

Clark - 5 - Terrible mix up with Vlaar for 3rd Albion goal, terrible distribution, otherwise ok.

Vlaar - 8 - F**K know how many we would've conceded if he wasn't marshalling our defense, great tackling in the box!

Lowton - 5 - Kept making poor decisions in attack, between him, KEA and Westwood Brunt should've been closed down, and allowed the cross to come in for second albion goal.

Westwood - 4 - Should've been quicker to close down brunt, should've tracked Mulumbu's run for 3rd albion goal, predictable passing, think he needs to be benched, until he learns how to defend.

KEA - 4.5 - Sold himself for first goal, slow to react to the quick free kick that led to second goal, continually slowed the ball when in possession, can't remember a single forward pass. Worked hard.

Delph - 7 - Worked hard. Him, Bertrand and the 3 most attacking players combined well on the left flank to give Reid a torrid time. Great goal, faded second half and gave a lot of ball away in the final half hour.

Bacuna - 7 - Worked hard, scored, looked decent in wide positions not so much in the hole. Looks best on right midfield or central midfield when he can run from deep like Delph.

Weiman - 8 - Constant threat, clever finish for goal, worked hard, our most creative player. (gave him MOM as his opening goal was absolutely crucial and I can't give a defender MOM when we conceded 3 goals.

Benteke - 7.5 - Won almost every ball that came his way, held it up well, cool penalty, link play was good (could be better by his standards though), should've finished baggies off in first half!

Vlaar was as much at fault for that goal as Clark.

• Like 2

What a game! Really worth it to get home earlier from work to watch that. Really well needed and well fought. And some great goals too. And the atmosphere sounded great on telly.

Vlaar motm for me. Strange thinking about 3 conceded goals, but still.

Agreed, Tuco.

How much of a word removed is Jonas Olsson? 

Warmed to him when he did that MOTD thing.

Every time I see him on the pitch since I think he's a clearing in the woods.

Two poor teams made a very exciting game. Stunning goal from Delph, but it was probably only the two penalty decisions that made the difference in the end, us getting one and not them.

I really don't understand bringing Holt on, I just can't get on board with the idea of playing him and Benteke together.

How much of a word removed is Jonas Olsson? 

Warmed to him when he did that MOTD thing.

Every time I see him on the pitch since I think he's a clearing in the woods.

Ever since he got Chris Herd sent off I've noticed it.

• Like 1

I voted Holt because I was pissing myself watching him. We haven't had that professional edge in so long. Someone who'll just be a nasty bugger and show a bit of nous keeping the ball.

Vlaar true MOTM. Immense.

Vlaar deservedly MOTM, although Clark is really an excellent defender these days as well. Good times!

Clark was and is awful, gave away so many fouls, gets too close to his man and gets turned and has no strength. Bakers even worse so sadly we have no other option until okore is back.

was working in Erdington today, had to drive back to kiddy to pick up my baggies supporting cousin, who phoned me at 5.30 to say he wasn't going, took me an hour and 50 minutes to get to the ground, got a txt whilst sat on the motorway from the bloke i sit next to saying where are you gary shaw is with us at the bar, got to my seat just as the 2nd goal went in...

I love football! nothing can do that to you, not even a woman

benteke played well and won a fair bit, delph was good and his goal was excellent, vlaar was great, Bertrand is miles better than luna, weiman's best game of the season

KEA rubbish, lowton even worse and more annoyingly they've both seemingly been watching stuart downings how to tackle DVD clark was back to his usual self, got no intelligence at all, anichebe bought simple fouls off him all night, also a hoof ball merchant

finally, grant holt, impressed with his energy and surprised by the role he played, looked good

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Amazing isnt it that 2 people can watch a game yet have 2 completely different views of a player.

I thought he was outstanding tonight!

He is the only one in the midfield who constantly wants to play 1 touch, so to say he slowed it down is just plain wrong.

His work rate was 2nd to none too!

• Like 2

Â