• Fabian Delph
    • Karim El-Ahmadi
    • Leandro Bacuna
    • Andreas Weimann
    • Christian Benteke
    • Yacouba Sylla (for El-Ahmadi 76)
    • Grant Holt (for Lowton 65)
    • Nathan Baker (for Weimann 80)

One of the most atmospheric and emotional rollercoaster of games at VP I've experienced; only the 5-1 demolition of the scum beats it. After 10 minutes I thought we were in serious trouble of getting hammered four or five nil, Lowton needs to be dropped NOW.

But we finally showed some balls at home and managed to produce something that wasn't long ball football to get back to 2-2 at the 25 minute mark. Then it happened, utter shock, Delph nearly broke the net, 72 mph it will goal of the season unless someone produces something better in the upcoming months.

At 3-3 I was fearful, the game was so up and down, we should of been 4-3 after Lugano missed a sitter. Benteke scored the penalty and we started to panic, Westwood, Guzan and Delph all making mistakes, but managed to keep our cool and win the biggest game of the season for me.

My MOTM would probably be Benteke, scored the winner and set-up two of the other three goals; he is going to make Stones shit himself on Saturday.

Guzan 7, Lowton 2, Clark 7, Vlaar 7, Bertrand 8, KEA 5, Delph 7, Westwood 6, Weimann 8, Benteke 8 and Bacuna 7. Subs: Sylla 5, Holt 5 and Baker 5.

Boing boing boing all the way to a happy night sleep for once after watching Villa at home :)

Edited by Avflife

Well, what can I say? That's a proper derby game.

Like many others have said, being 2 down inside 10 minutes was horrible, and I feared a battering at worst or a 2-2 draw at best. It's not just the result that's brilliant, but having the character the fight back from that is really admirable. Delph scored a screamer, Weimann was ace, Benteke got his 3rd in 3 and we got a very crucial win.

Oh and.........WBA Pride of the Midlands???? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Fabulous match - a great game for the neutral! Got to give it to the team for coming back from two early goals.

Wiemann MOM for me, back to his best tonight. Vlaar was also excellent, as was Benteke, though Benteke is not yet just as sharp as last season. Delph was very good, though lost the ball a few times, and what a wonderful goal. So much better with Bertrand behind him. Bertrand also put in a good solid performance, we need another player of his calibre on the right to replace Lowton. Clark not as good as he has been, takes a real chance with his shirt pulling, etc. And we need better midfielders than Westwood, Sylla and El- Ahmadi.

We lost all shape and threat after Holt and Sylla came on - those substitutions could have cost us the game.

A really important win for us.

Lugano was trying to bully Benteke into submission most of the night and it was just what he deserved when he wrapped his arm around Benteke's face and gave away the penalty. And the stupid git got himself a yellow soon after for slumping to the ground trying to win a peno. Not a great day for Diego and his prick mate Olsson.

Edited by Ponky

Delph MOTM for me for all round delphness and especially for not letting his head drop after the own goal. Weimann was close though, looks the part again. 

Still though, if we could vote for one of their players Lugano had a great game for us ;)

Clark DID have a fine game. They rarely got past him and he can share the blame for their 3rd with Vlaar, but apart from that he didn't give much away. Ok, I can give the critics right that he sometimes gave away unnecessary freekicks and he hit it long too many times and not good enough, but he wasn't alone in that. And he didn't only send it long. Far from it. 2 goals let in that neither of our central defenders can be at fault for. And they handled the set pieces well, apart from when Vlaar left Lugano to a free header.

• Like 1

Some points after we actually won three and played well :)

1. Amalfitano - diving cheat.

2. Berahino - shirt pulling cheat.

3. Ollsson - whiney gobby bitch that needs a slap.

4. Yammers fans - soon shut up when we scored. And do they actually know "Albion" begins with an A, not an O?

5. The cabbage at the front of the away section who was banging the metal hoarding with his hand for a good 20 minutes non-stop on his own - enjoy the broken wrist you word removed.

As for Villa...we would have murdered Olbeeyun if we had a decent midfielder to replace the powder-puff Westwood. Mark Kinsella is obviously his all-time hero because Westwood is magnificent at receiving the ball, then passing it two yards back to the player he got it from, then pointing. He's superb at pointing.

Best game of the season at home by a long stretch. Even the pissing down rain that didn't stop all night wasn't so annoying.

Oh and strangely I was talking to the lads at half time about the last time we went in 3-3 at the break with these lot. "It'll be uncanny if we win 4-3 now" I said :)

And yes, I was there in 1983 when Brendan The Ginger Ninja Ormsby scored that winner.

• Like 3

Andi MotM for me. Our D was shambles first half, but did better in the second, Vlaar with some concrete walling.

KEA worst by far. Guzan not the sharpest.

Really liked Holt. Not bad from Lambert to bring him in and on.

I really don't get this. KEA was one of our best players last night, he pressed so hard and rarely gave the ball away. The only reason he got substituted was because he was knackered. 

Agree that Andi was great and so was Delph and Vlaar. 

• Like 2

I think my heart wanted to give out during that.. 

The strange thing is, when we were 2-0 down, I knew we could still get something from the game - hell, even the crowd were singing "We've done it before, we will do it again" and boy were they right. That has to be the longest 90 minutes I have ever been through, but the feeling is so rewarding, I will forgive them.

As soon as Delph hit that shot - BOOM - into the net, I thought we would win 5/6-2, it had the markings of one of our best performances, but I think the reply from them (thanks to a mistake in defence) left us shell shocked and stopped us rampaging.

Lowton was the worst player on the pitch, constantly out of position, at fault for two of the goals and looked nothing like the Lowts from last season, even his attacking attempts were below average for him, even if he did get yet another assist. He has become what Luna was for long parts this season - the player teams target.

Bertrand is a breath of fresh air, the way he moves on the ball, his pace, his ability to sniff out attacks and get to the ball first. This guy is a proper left back, I honestly do not think we will keep him - unless of course a takeover happens - this might be the only way we can put the right package together, otherwise I think Spurs could look to him.

Delph - do you know what, if we can get a DM in to free up Delph, somebody like Mulumbu last night, who was their best player, I think Delph will score more. 

KEA, Westwood - poor.

Weimann! Welcome back son!!!! This is the player we thought we had!

Bacuna - reminds me of Young mixed with Milner, needs to learn to control the ball better and to keep possession, could be a gem if he gets those bits right.

Benteke.

THE BEAST HATH AWOKEN!

Yay! :)

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 4

I can't really blame any player for their 1st goal. It was a wonder strike from a distance that normally doesn't end up in the net. More cred to Brunt than any blame on any of our players.

The 2nd, though, I agree was either Lowtons or Bacunas fault. Someone was standing watching their player run away free.

Â