Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

I had an optimistic feeling we might just be able to sneak a point against Chelsea. Then I remembered Bertrand is on loan and we'll probably have Bennett at left back.

Is that the rules nowadays regarding loans - or is it something that Chelsea themselves have stipulated?

Seem to remember Fernando Morientes scored a couple of goals to knock Real Madrid out of the CL a few years back when he was was on loan from them at Monaco. Doubt Chelsea will have made a similar faux pas...

I had an optimistic feeling we might just be able to sneak a point against Chelsea. Then I remembered Bertrand is on loan and we'll probably have Bennett at left back.

Is that the rules nowadays regarding loans - or is it something that Chelsea themselves have stipulated?

Seem to remember Fernando Morientes scored a couple of goals to knock Real Madrid out of the CL a few years back when he was was on loan from them at Monaco. Doubt Chelsea will have made a similar faux pas...

Yeah it's the rules.

Only recently though. I'm sure it never used to be the rules. When United first loaned out Tim Howard I'm sure he didn't play against United and it was described as a "gentleman's agreement"

Been saying for a while, a back 4 next year of 

Bertrand - Vlaar - Okore -Dani Alves

would be pretty damn good.

(The Dani Alves thing is a joke. What I really mean is a new RB. As well as Bacuna is doing, he's not a RB and I'd rather someone else there)

Big IFs in there though. IF we hold onto Bertrand. IF Okore fulfils his potential. IF we sign a decent RB.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Anyone know how long is left on his Chelsea contract? With azpilecuta (sp) seeming to have stepped up a level and Coles future unclear hopefully Bertrand fancies being our first choice next year

Anyone know how long is left on his Chelsea contract? With azpilecuta (sp) seeming to have stepped up a level and Coles future unclear hopefully Bertrand fancies being our first choice next year

2017. 3 years.. Chelsea won't sell cheap even if they have too many players.

2017. 3 years.. Chelsea won't sell cheap even if they have too many players.

That's disappointing to hear. I'd imagine he may be willing to move on for guaranteed football but it may not be with us then

For those who want to get technical, the actual line they use is that we have began looking into the possibility of making it permanent.

My guess is that we would have to get him happy with a contract before then negotiating with Chelsea over whatever future fee situation that was stipulated in the loan deal.

This is the only draw-back for me when a club in our position takes a player like this on loan - we'll end up using a 1/4 or 1/3 of our summer transfer budget to buy a player that won't actually make our team any better than the one that finishes the season.

That said, I would still be delighted to get him permanently. You can see he's not good enough to play regularly for Chelsea, but he's more than good enough for us.

Will Lerner pay Chelsea what they want for Bertrand, that's the question

I assume Lerner will give Lambert a budget and it's up to him as to whether he's worth the money. I don't think Mourinho will hold us to ransom if Bertrand wants to leave, probably £4m or so.

Well I hope there's a change of direction in the summer were we bring in 3 or 4 players rather that 7-8. Apparently Bertrand is available for around £6 million which would be ok for me, then I would like to see 2 midfielders 1 more attacking one more defensive...I think this can be done for about £25 million which isn't exorbitant with the new premier league money.

Is he definitely not allowed to play on Saturday? He is listed as available on Fantasy Premier League and they normally have it down if a player is ineligible.

Loan players are definitely unable to play against their parent club.

It goes back to a Newcastle player a few years ago who scored against the toon and celebrated enthusiastically. There was a worry about how he'd be treated when his loan finished

and he went back. The changes were made the next season.

Â