The R word

villanwesty88

Can't see us getting relegated this season, even after todays woeful performance!

We still have some of the top teams to play.... and they are the only teams we seem to be able to get points against, therefore we should stay up haha.

So long as Fulham, Cardiff and Sunderland keep losing/drawing we're fine.. would be nice to get another couple of wins asap though so we could all focus on things other than relegation for a change.

looking at it to catch us with us getting 0 points from our remaining 8 fixtures:

Fulham need to win 3 & draw 2 of their remaining 7 fixtures

Cardiff need to win 3 & draw 1 of their remaining 7 fixtures

Sunderland need to win 3 & draw 1 of their remaining 10 fixtures 

then you have Palace & West Brom who both have 8 games remaining and are 6 points behind us though West Brom's Goal difference is similar to ours .

So really we need to hope that in all the head to heads between the "at risk" teams it's those bottom 4 or 5 who are the ones who keep losing.

Another way to look at it is we need

Another 6 defeats from 10 for Sunderland

Another 4 defeats from 7 for Cardiff

Another 3 defeats from 7 for Fulham

But every time we gain points that requirement increases for each of those teams.

Still in it for me till we get a couple wins

Firstly, we will certainly win two more games before the end of the season. I think we will beat 3 of Fulham, Palace, Southampton, Hull and Spurs and finish on above 40 points.

Secondly, I don't think we will even need 40 points to stay up this year. I think 37 will suffice and there is not a snowball in hells chance that we won't get to that.

We will not be going down this year. Absolutely no chance.

• Like 1

Well according to MOTD and Sky - they say Stoke are safe and they have 37 points - so if they are safe (and only 3 points ahead of us) then why all of a sudden do we need 40 points.

40 may be the safety mark (the so called 'magic' points total) but if Stoke are why aren't we with three more points.

I think 1 more win will do - 2  would be ideal (magic 40 pts). We'll get the points from our last 8 games. 

Well according to MOTD and Sky - they say Stoke are safe and they have 37 points - so if they are safe (and only 3 points ahead of us) then why all of a sudden do we need 40 points.

40 may be the safety mark (the so called 'magic' points total) but if Stoke are why aren't we with three more points.

I think 1 more win will do - 2 would be ideal (magic 40 pts). We'll get the points from our last 8 games.

If Sky or MOTD told me it was raining, I'd go outside to check.

Theres no magic total anyway, people have gone down on 40 r more before, its fair to say we could still go down technically but it would take  the most disastrous 8 game run for us to do so. Saying that i wouldnt put it past us to lose at home to fulham just to make things very uncomfortable for ourselves.

I think 1 more win will do - 2 would be ideal (magic 40 pts). We'll get the points from our last 8 games.

If Sky or MOTD told me it was raining, I'd go outside to check.

http://weather-news.sky.com/weather/

:)

It's been safe for a while to assume for a while that 36/7 points will ensure safety.

We're nearly there - I really thought we would get there yesterday but, hey ho.

More important for me is whether we can do better than last season, and by how much. So that's 41 points to beat. In my book, if we don't do markedly better than that, the season will have been a failure, though it's fairly sure we won't get relegated so I suppose there is some comfort in that.

More important for me is whether we can do better than last season, and by how much. So that's 41 points to beat. In my book, if we don't do markedly better than that, the season will have been a failure,

I see us finishing with in 3 points of last season so no worse than 38 and no better than 44. Either way I think we have simply stood still this season which is very disappointing.

• Like 1

More important for me is whether we can do better than last season, and by how much. So that's 41 points to beat. In my book, if we don't do markedly better than that, the season will have been a failure,

I see us finishing with in 3 points of last season so no worse than 38 and no better than 44. Either way I think we have simply stood still this season which is very disappointing.

Only if you look at points totals, which is a bit of a meaningless stat on its own.

Only if you look at points totals, which is a bit of a meaningless stat on its own.

I think it's a bit odd to describe it as "meaningless". It's largely a straight comparison with how we have done in previous seasons. If we get fewer points this time, we will not have done as well. All the clever wordplay in the world won't get away from that simple truth.
  • Like 1

I think it's a bit odd to describe it as "meaningless". It's largely a straight comparison with how we have done in previous seasons. If we get fewer points this time, we will not have done as well. All the clever wordplay in the world won't get away from that simple truth.

I said "on its own" and it is meaningless on its own. Points totals don't mean anything without also knowing positions. If we get the same amount of points as last year but finish say, 11th instead of 15th then I fail to see how that's not progress, despite the same points total. At the end of the day the league is about position.