The R word

villanwesty88

The fact that a similar thread to this last year had lots more pages I think speaks volumes for the "fears" there may be over relegation.

the fact a thread about relegation is active again for the 4th season in a row speaks volumes to though, in my time following football i can only remember 2 teams who spent season after season treading water, Wigan and Everton in the late 90s/00s, whilst relegation is a small chance this season, its still a possibility, and for the 4th year were going to limp over the line.

We're not really treading water though, at least with regards to relegation. We've been the definition of mid-table mediocrity this season. People keep bringing up this Wigan comparison but I don't think the situations are that similar at all really.

ii wasn't really comparing us to Wigan mantis, just using them as an example of a team who are at the wrong end of the table season after season, whilst this season we havnt been in the bottom three at any point, we still have an active relegation thread, so people are still, ill say apprehensive that we could yet be dragged into it.

We're not even at an end of the table though - we've been mid-table pretty much all season.

Obviously relegation has always been a prospect (although distant) but I think a distinction needs to be made between the mid-table clubs that are long shots for relegation but always clear of the main battle and those battling it out at the bottom.

Edited by Mantis

We'll get 4 points from Palace and Fulham and that will be the end of any worries as you certainly aren't going down on 38 points and a decent goal difference this season. Even two draws from those two would probably be enough as that denies the opponents two points from what they'll see as must win games, especially Palace given their run in.

its a good job some on here are not commissioned to build castles.....there would be about 10 moats around it.

folk can be as defensive as they like about the club, but we are treading water, thats all. we are just splitting hairs.

It's not even about being defensive, some of us are just responding to this idea that we wouldn't have improved this season if we finish mid-table. I don't think anyone is denying the problems this club faces but they don't need to be pointed out constantly - we're already aware of them thanks.

equally hiding them away in a cupboard is not helping either....The worst form of protest is compliance. We know there is little we can do, but patronising the status quo, is irritating.

after all said and done this is the place to vent your frustration, not during a game....you don't want someone to insinuate your expectation is too high when you have won 5 games at home and dress it up as progress.

Edited by TRO

its a good job some on here are not commissioned to build castles.....there would be about 10 moats around it.

folk can be as defensive as they like about the club, but we are treading water, thats all. we are just splitting hairs.

It's not even about being defensive, some of us are just responding to this idea that we wouldn't have improved this season if we finish mid-table. I don't think anyone is denying the problems this club faces but they don't need to be pointed out constantly - we're already aware of them thanks.

equally hiding them away in a cupboard is not helping either....The worst form of protest is compliance. We know there is little we can do, but patronising the status quo, is irritating.

after all said and done this is the place to vent your frustration, not during a game....you don't want someone to insinuate your expectation is too high when you have won 5 games at home and dress it up as progress.

I don't see anyone hiding them away. We all accept the situation, some of us just don't feel the need to constantly point out the obvious.

Just because there are lots of things that could be improved doesn't mean people can't point out the things we have improved in (like not being in the thick of a relegation battle like we were last season).

I don't see anyone hiding them away. We all accept the situation, some of us just don't feel the need to constantly point out the obvious.

Just because there are lots of things that could be improved doesn't mean people can't point out the things we have improved in (like not being in the thick of a relegation battle like we were last season).

Mantis....the situation we are in is unacceptable and you know it.

We're not even at an end of the table though - we've been mid-table pretty much all season.

Obviously relegation has always been a prospect (although distant) but I think a distinction needs to be made between the mid-table clubs that are long shots for relegation but always clear of the main battle and those battling it out at the bottom.

you are searching for strands of satisfaction....

the truth is for a club the size of Aston Villa is all pants......for standing off in game like last Sunday, is Brutal, and totally unacceptable.

Depends which situation you're referring to exactly.

Languising in and around the bottom league in the prem....winning sub 10 games a season at home year after year after year, playing a brand of football that lacks control,and is up and down like a fiddlers elbow, being unable to compete in the transfer market with clubs smaller than ourselves( despite all the rationale)....are you bored yet.

and you want me to explain.

If you don't know....i give up.

Languising in and around the bottom league in the prem....winning sub 10 games a season at home year after year after year, playing a brand of football that lacks control,and is up and down like a fiddlers elbow, being unable to compete in the transfer market with clubs smaller than ourselves( despite all the rationale)....are you bored yet.

Certain aspects of that are unacceptable, but then again I don't think that's an entirely accurate portrayal of the current situation. We haven't been "languishing around the bottom of the league" this season, unless you count 10th-13th as bottom.

Our home form is unacceptable - I don't think anyone denies that. Likewise, I don't deny that it's sad that Lambert has had such a limited budget.

So yes, I know the situation is unacceptable (in certain respects) - we all do. However, that doesn't mean they need to be repeated over and over and over again, it just gets boring.

So, Mantis, what issues do you think we should be talking about?

It's not about what issues I think people should be talking about, I just don't know why some feel the need to constantly point out the same problems that all of us recognise. It seems like if you don't repeat these things over and over again you get accused of ignoring the problems.

• Like 1

Certain aspects of that are unacceptable, but then again I don't think that's an entirely accurate portrayal of the current situation. We haven't been "languishing around the bottom of the league" this season, unless you count 10th-13th as bottom.

Our home form is unacceptable - I don't think anyone denies that. Likewise, I don't deny that it's sad that Lambert has had such a limited budget.

So yes, I know the situation is unacceptable (in certain respects) - we all do. However, that doesn't mean they need to be repeated over and over and over again, it just gets boring.

It only gets repeated, because so many want to argue its validity and are in denial.

when I say the bottom of the league....the league itself has formed 2 halves upper and lower....for us to be in the lower, to me, is unacceptable.... we have no divine right to anything, but come on, we are Aston Villa.

If you was in certain circles in football, with no hidden agenda's on hand, my suspicion would be that the top pundits would say Villa should not be down there.

It only gets repeated, because so many want to argue its validity and are in denial.

when I say the bottom of the league....the league itself has formed 2 halves upper and lower....for us to be in the lower, to me, is unacceptable.... we have no divine right to anything, but come on, we are Aston Villa.

If you was in certain circles in football, with no hidden agenda's on hand, my suspicion would be that the top pundits would say Villa should not be down there.

And who are these people that supposedly try and deny many of these things? There may be some but you're mistaken if you think anything but the vast majority of Villa fans accept that we have problems.

You contradict yourself a bit there. You say "we have no divine right to anything" but then say "we are Aston Villa" straight afterwards. So what? You have to earn your place and while I want us to move up as much as anybody else we don't just deserve to be there because "we are Aston Villa".

Edited by Mantis

And who are these people that supposedly try and deny many of these things? There may be some but you're mistaken if you think anything but the vast majority of Villa fans accept that we have problems.

You contradict yourself a bit there. You say "we have no divine right to anything" but then say "we are Aston Villa" straight afterwards. So what? You have to earn your place and while I want us to move up as much as anybody else we don't just deserve to be there because "we are Aston Villa".

ok ...No club has a divine right to anything.

but we are a big club and we should be punching better than we are.

phew!! is it me or you...it does seem hard work....I'm trying to cover all the misinterpretations and creating more.

sorry....I think you are too forgiving of the situation.

some one said Lambert doesn't deserve the sack....I would agree, with the same conviction that I am not so sure he deserves to keep it either.

phew!! is it me or you...it does seem hard work....I'm trying to cover all the misinterpretations and creating more.

some one said Lambert doesn't deserve the sack....I would agree, with the same conviction that I am not so sure he deserves to keep it either.

How am I too forgiving? Just because I don't constantly go on about the same problems over and over again doesn't mean I'm happy with everything.

How am I too forgiving? Just because I don't constantly go on about the same problems over and over again doesn't mean I'm happy with everything.

ok point accepted.

can we have a last little moan together.....ok I'm just joking now.

some of us do like to get it off our chests....rightfully or wrongfully.

Edited by TRO