The R word

villanwesty88

I maintained support for PL during the rough patch last season because, unlike during McLeish's reign, we were actually going after games with fairly stylish counter-attacking football. I can't say the same thing this season. I'm beginning to get those awful feelings of "why am I still watching this garbage?" there were is so prevalent during the final months of McLeish. Watching the City/Liverpool game afterwards and I couldn't help shake the feeling that I was watching an entirely different sport than the one that Villa play.

The differance now is the suprise factor has gone.EVERYONE knows we counter attack so they just sit back and wait for us to hoof it forward after 5 mins passing it sideways.

Only West Ham are as bad as us at moment.4th year fighting the drop and this time things look desperate.

Previous seasons i've feared relegation but thought we had enough quality to stay up.

This season we look no better than any of the other bottom sides and the players seem incapable of doing even the basics of football. The tactics are straight from the 80's and the one shining light from last season, Benteke looks like he's mentally already at another club.

I just hope we scrape together enough points to stay up and then i'll try to forget this season ever happened

Let's hope it's just another rough patch, that we bring in a couple of players next month, and get a few results. 

Over to you, Randy

This.  At present we looked R word material easy, but as ever it is a 38 game season. I just hope that the team can settle down and play better soon. But we need some quality additions to avoid another struggle for the 4th year on the spin.

Think they're called West Ham ISA. Terrible away and they can't win at home either.

Way I see it, there are 9 good teams in the premier league as reflected in the table and the rest are just happy to stay up apart from Swansea maybe who have been handicapped by Europa league. Hull have overachieved but they have a lot of title chasing teams still to play at home so don't think they'll get much above 40 points.

But really ourselves, Stoke, Norwich, Fulham, West Ham,Cardiff, West Brom, there is not much between these teams at all otherwise they'd all be winning more games than they do.

The worry I have is I think you'll need more points to stay up this season and a team could easily go down on 39 points as SHA did 3 years ago. Currently we don't look capable of 5 more wins and 5 draws. but then I wouldn't say likes of West Ham, Cardifff, Fulham or Norwich look like it either.

Although I have said it today (during the game, when stress levels are high) and although I said it a few months back (based on our reserves being rubbish, not good enough to step up) when thinking clearly and not as a reaction, I don't think we will go down.

BUT, if the manager doesn't sign some much needed new blood, we are in for a struggle.

From looking at the bottom half I think Palace will go down as even though they've improved significantly under Pulis, I'm not sure there's enough goals or quality there.

I think Sunderland will stay up. That was a fantastic point for them at Cardiff and they still have to play us, Cardiff, West Ham, Palace, West Brom, Stoke and Hull all at home in the second half of the season so probably have the kindest run of fixtures of teams down there.

I thought Fulham would stay up but we'll have to see how they react to 6-0 at Hull.

I think West Ham are in huge danger of going down. They're on 15 points and hardly ever win away from home, think they've left themselves too much to do to get to 40 points even if Carroll is back soon.

So Palace, West Ham and the 3rd team to be one from Fulham, Norwich, Cardiff or ideally WBA. Last two in trouble but depends on who the new managers are.

• 2 months later...

I would have to disagree with you mate, I honestly think we are safe now pal. We only need 1 more win (imo) and I think we'll get it.

2 huge home wins back to back is a massive boost for Villa, given how awful our form has been at Villa Park in recent times. We are not quite out of it yet but I fancy Cardiff, Fulham and probably Norwich to go down.

I would have to disagree with you mate, I honestly think we are safe now pal. We only need 1 more win (imo) and I think we'll get it.

2 huge home wins back to back is a massive boost for Villa, given how awful our form has been at Villa Park in recent times. We are not quite out of it yet but I fancy Cardiff, Fulham and probably Norwich to go down.

As soon as we get 40 points then we are safe. 6 more points we should easily get but you never know.... We do have a fairly kind run in with 'winnable' home games at now fortress Villa Park of Stoke,  Fulham and Hull and away matches like Swansea and Manchester United. It would be excellent for the club to have a good run in to build momentum for Lambert's all important third season in charge.UTV.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1