The R word

villanwesty88

It would take the most disastrous run of 8 games for us to go down now. If we even only get 1 more win then teams like fulham and cardiff would need atleast 5 results from 8 and most of them would need to be wins.

9. We have 9.

We've more chance of catching Newcastle.

• Like 2

Looking at it objectively, which is difficult as a fan, Villa have not really been in the relegation mire all season, bar a few wobbles. Sure until the last 2 home games our form at Villa Park has been awful and we have been a little too close for comfort to the bottom 3 but really we have looked like a mid table most of the season esp away from home. I haven't/can't be arsed got the info to support my hunch, but I am sure this time last year we would be about 5 points and 7 places worse off. Progress I think. Edit I have just flicked through my  News and Record Sunderland match  from last season in which we had played 34 games and only reached 34 points by that stage. So a lot better this time round!

Edited by The Fun Factory

Looking at it objectively, which is difficult as a fan, Villa have not really been in the relegation mire all season, bar a few wobbles. Sure until the last 2 home games our form at Villa Park has been awful and we have been a little too close for comfort to the bottom 3 but really we have looked like a mid table most of the season esp away from home. I haven't/can't be arsed got the info to support my hunch, but I am sure this time last year we would be about 5 points and 7 places worse off. Progress I think.

Put it this way, we've been at least 3 points clear of relegation (often more) for virtually the whole season yet for large parts of last season we were either in the relegation zone or right above it.

Edited by Mantis

I can certainly attest to this season being a bit less nerve-wracking than last. Even when we're on a bad run of form I've thought "I hope this doesn't continue much longer" rather than "I wonder how well this squad will do in the Championship?"

• Like 3

I don't think it was a case of just seeing that league position. I know I wanted to see improvement and wanted to see us build from the end of last season in the way we play. Its been awful far too much this year and while league position was OK results and performances were not. But recently things have improved and that's 2 fantastic wins in a row and again it looks like we'll be finishing strong in terms of results and performances. I think there's no chance of relegation now.

• Like 4

The other teams are just not going to do it. Cardiff and Fulham, although likeable, just won't be able to put a big enough run of results together.

I don't think any of Sunderland, West Brom or Palace will pick up enough points to finish above us either. 18th will be basically who finishes lowest out of those 3.

As the outside bet Swansea aren't out of it yet either until they win a couple more home games.

The other teams are just not going to do it. Cardiff and Fulham, although likeable, just won't be able to put a big enough run of results together.

I don't think any of Sunderland, West Brom or Palace will pick up enough points to finish above us either. 18th will be basically who finishes lowest out of those 3.

As the outside bet Swansea aren't out of it yet either until they win a couple more home games.

Would agree with all of that apart from the bit about Cardiff being a likeable team but that's a discussion for another thread ;)

I have been saying for some time that 36 points will secure safety this season - maybe 37 if a couple of lowly teams have a real late splurge. After yesterday's magnificent result, we are virtually there and should be thinking instead about whether we can improve significantly on last year's performance, which has always been my yardstick for measuring the season.

I don't think it was a case of just seeing that league position. I know I wanted to see improvement and wanted to see us build from the end of last season in the way we play. Its been awful far too much this year and while league position was OK results and performances were not. But recently things have improved and that's 2 fantastic wins in a row and again it looks like we'll be finishing strong in terms of results and performances. I think there's no chance of relegation now.

.....So no longer in the Lambert Out camp BJ? ;)

• Like 1

TBH I wouldn't be bothered if he wasn't our manager next year.

I would I really like him. That said he is no miracle worker and if his hands are tied financially then we can't expect him to compete. 

I have said it before, but the only way to judge a manager is by how well he does compared to the money at his disposal. And in that context PL is doing just fine. 

Edited by David-Copenhagen
  • Like 2

I would I really like him. That said he is no miracle worker and if his hands are tied financially then we can't expect him to compete.

I have said it before, but the only way to judge a manager is by how well he does compared to the money at his disposal. And in that context PL is doing just fine.

I don't think his hands are 'tied financially'.

He is building a squad, buying more potential than we have done in the past.

This takes time, and that means periods of poor results due to players gaining experience.

Unless u are competing for the very best players, throwing money at it just doesn't work...never has.

He's doing a steady job

So you would want to start the transition period all over again with yet a new manager?

I said I'm not bothered I didn't say I'd sack him.

2 games hasn't made me believe lambert is going to do something special here.

So you would want to start the transition period all over again with yet a new manager?

I said I'm not bothered I didn't say I'd sack him.

2 games hasn't made me believe lambert is going to do something special here.

Nor me!