What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

+1 for Tegis' home grown spuds, and agree with your view on trying to avoid the processed stuff.

Meal went down well, a lot of jetlagged yanks, also had to do them a Full Scottish breakfast with haggis, black pudn, bacon, sausage (not Lorne sausage, ugh), fried and scrambled eggs, all for 12.  Had a suprise Italian visitor who asked, apparently seriously, if I ran a restaurant.

Now the son and gf have returned and are assembling the full dinner they missed, checking my menu to make sure they haven't missed anything.

Fortunately others did the washing up.  Going for a little lie down now. 

• Like 2

Well I did a traditional Sunday roast with 100% locally sourced ingredients.  IOM Loaghtan lamb, with local potatoes (roasted in duck fat from a local farmer), veggies, and even the Yorkshire puddings* were made with Manx flour, milk and eggs.  Actually, I think I might have let myself down with the mint sauce.  

* Anybody saying that they should only be served with beef can do one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

definitely, every roast for me, regardless of the meat

mint sauce - get the jar (tried with mint leaves, its crap IMO) couple of tablespoons, hot water, white wine vinegar, salt, you can add a touch of sugar to balance the vinegar if necessary 

you missed off if you made your own gravy ;) ive done it the last couple of times, a lot easier than my mom seemed to make it out to be when i was young

yesterday i couldnt be bothered with a roast so i got hold of some proper mince chicken burgers, had them on a bun (brioche of course) did some stuffing, cranberry sauce on one side of the bun, spread the stuffing on the other, made a really really thick chicken gravy and put that on there

awesome

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

definitely, every roast for me, regardless of the meat

mint sauce - get the jar (tried with mint leaves, its crap IMO) couple of tablespoons, hot water, white wine vinegar, salt, you can add a touch of sugar to balance the vinegar if necessary 

you missed off if you made your own gravy ;) ive done it the last couple of times, a lot easier than my mom seemed to make it out to be when i was young

I ALWAYS make my own gravy, and it is always great.  Yesterday though, tested my skills to the limit.  We're renting a farmhouse at the moment, and the main cooker is an Aga, but there's a problem with it, so we've been reduced to the back up two ring gas hob.  Being out in the sticks though, it runs off bottled gas, and that ran out too, so I had to do the gravy in the pan using the barbecue to heat it.

They're great, but give out far too much heat, so we've always turned them off in the summer.  I'd never just have one as the main cooking source for that reason, so in our old house, we had a two ring, four oven Aga, but also a separate double oven and electric hob.  Made doing big meals for lots of people in the winter months very easy.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Well I did a traditional Sunday roast with 100% locally sourced ingredients.  IOM Loaghtan lamb, with local potatoes (roasted in duck fat from a local farmer), veggies, and even the Yorkshire puddings* were made with Manx flour, milk and eggs.  Actually, I think I might have let myself down with the mint sauce.  

Hadn't heard of that lamb - something here on it for anyone interested.

These primitive sheep graze on the natural herbage of the island, taking 15-18 months to reach maturity. This results in a dark, lean meat with a slightly gamey flavour. They are very fine looking, brown in colour, with 2 or 4 horns.It is small in size (ewes weigh about 40 kg.) and characterized by its dark brown wool and clean face and legs and short tail. The wool is soft and also prized by weavers. The Manx Loaghtan is native to the Isle of Man and a descendent of the kinds of prehistoric short-tailed breeds found in isolated parts of northwest Europe. Descended from the primitive sheep once found throughout Scotland and the coastal islands of Britain. The breed has come close to extinction on a number of occasions, the first during the Industrial Revolution when the demand was for white fleece. The breed was saved by a John Caesar Bacon (a late 19th C/early 20th C owner of a large amount of land on the Isle of Man and a hobbiest breeder of the Manx sheep), but when he died in the early 20th century, they were again forgotten until by the 1950’s there were less than 100 sheep left. This time they were rescued by a Manx farmer, Jack Quine who gradually built up their numbers and exported some to be kept in the UK to preserve the linethe in the 1950’s. At the end of the 1980’s, George Steriopulos, a business man who had moved to the island 10 years previously realized that the best way to preserve the breed was to create a market for its meat and fleece. After a long battle with the Manx parliament (the Isle of Man is not governed by the UK, nor is it part of the EU) in 2001 he finally won his battle to market the meat as a distinct product. This required the setting up of a co-operative with which all must register to market the meat.

• 4 weeks later...

One for @mottaloo and other meat fans

Special Spices in Great Barr for an Indian mixed grill. 2 large grills, 3 various curries, chilli chips and 6 nan breads between 6 of us. Few pints of cider to wash it down. Hit the spot!

It may be close to being the best one I have had. 

Not my photo but  true representation! 

Special-Spices-2.jpg?resize=474,280

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

One for @mottaloo and other meat fans

Special Spices in Great Barr for an Indian mixed grill. 2 large grills, 3 various curries, chilli chips and 6 nan breads between 6 of us. Few pints of cider to wash it down. Hit the spot!

It may be close to being the best one I have had. 

Not my photo but  true representation! 

Special-Spices-2.jpg?resize=474,280

That looks freakin amazing dude ! When you go for a grill you sure don't waste too much detail on the side salad :D

I'm so proud of you right now, almost in a ghey way :wub:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

That looks freakin amazing dude ! When you go for a grill you sure don't waste too much detail on the side salad :D

I'm so proud of you right now, almost in a ghey way :wub:

The salad just takes up valuable space on the table!

Well worth a visit mate and its not that far from you? 

• Haha 1

Went to Itsu today in Bicester. Think they are pretty commonplace in London

Very nice! Just had the plain chicken noodles. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Well worth a visit mate and its not that far from you? 

Yeah, it's about 15 mins away and my hindu neighbours are frequent visitors for a takeaway. 

I really should pop up there and soon, esp now I've seen that pic :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snowychap said:

Picture by picture, sympathy for your colon/arse issues ebbs away. ;)

Awww don't be like that snowy, pray for my colon :P

I'm sure it is the side salad not the meat which causes the problems ;)

• Like 1

Â