What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm sure it is the side salad not the meat which causes the problems ;)

Once again, i find cause to use this pic :

download.jpg

• Like 1

Going for soft shell tacos today. Since going to Mexico I'm trying to perfect my recipe but I can't quite get it right. I suspect that the places I ate stuff at in Mexico were using MSG by reading some reviews online, but there's no way in hell I'm resorting to that.

Washing it down with a pint of Death or Glory beer.

• Like 1

Got a fancy casserole pot for my birthday (can't work out if I'm getting old or eating too much, probably both...) made a jambalaya, chicken, sausage, king prawns, rice, onion, pepper, celery with cayenne, paprika, loads of garlic, tomatoes and chicken stock

made enough to keep me going to Wednesday 

13 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Going for soft shell tacos today. Since going to Mexico I'm trying to perfect my recipe but I can't quite get it right. I suspect that the places I ate stuff at in Mexico were using MSG by reading some reviews online, but there's no way in hell I'm resorting to that.

Washing it down with a pint of Death or Glory beer.

I love mexican food.

I also love that it's mostly all the same, just served with different carbs :) 

Using leftovers this week to make all my meals.

I've got a banging sweet and sour recipe now - better than the takeaway stuff with way  less calories.

Curry probably.

Then whatever else - got some freshly minced pork that I'll probably make into meatballs too.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2017 at 08:34, Stevo985 said:

I love mexican food.

I also love that it's mostly all the same, just served with different carbs :) 

I've never worked out though how it seems so impossible to get decent (read authentic) Mexican food in this country. It's so often a poor facsimile of the real thing.

40 minutes ago, choffer said:

I've never worked out though how it seems so impossible to get decent (read authentic) Mexican food in this country. It's so often a poor facsimile of the real thing.

same as pretty much every international cuisine, we get a bastardised version of it suited more to our tastes, id say we're using tex mex as a starting point too rather than authentic mexican

To be fair, the couple of times I ate out when I was in Mexico (as opposed to the hotel), the food was pretty shit. I probably went to the wrong places, but it wasn't great.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

This is meant to be very good, in Boldmere. Not been myself but few mates have and they love it

http://www.losbanditosboldmere.co.uk/

I know it. I pass it regularly (my gym is the other side of Boldmere)

Never been in though. The OH and I have said about a hundred times we need to go in :) 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know it. I pass it regularly (my gym is the other side of Boldmere)

Never been in though. The OH and I have said about a hundred times we need to go in :) 

I've been, the worst Mexican I've ever had. It was just really bland with the only flavour coming from an outrageous amount of hot sauce poured over it. 

I've always made my own sauces (why would you buy a jar for twice the cost of making it from scratch) but now I've started experimenting with stuff that I didn't think I'd make like sweet and sour sauce.

And OMG it's good. I didn't realise how simple it was.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Prawns and chips.

Proper chips, hand cut and soaked in a couple of changes of water to get rid of the starch, then dried off in a tea towel and fried at 130 until soft then later at 180 until crisp.

Onion, garlic, fresh chilli, yellow pepper, tomato gently sauteed (in that order) until soft, then chuck in seasoning, paprika, dried oregano,  chilli flakes.  Add prawns, turn up heat and cook quickly.  Finish with lime juice and fresh coriander.

Meanwhile dry-grill some good bread (I used slightly stale sourdough bought for a pittance that would otherwise have been thrown away), preferably on a ridged grill to give some burn marks (but simple toasting would work), and make a side salad.

Serve the spicy prawns on the grilled sourdough (or in a wrap, or just on the plate) with chips, mayonnaise and harissa or whatever you prefer on chips, and salad.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, peterms said:

Prawns and chips.

Proper chips, hand cut and soaked in a couple of changes of water to get rid of the starch, then dried off in a tea towel and fried at 130 until soft then later at 180 until crisp.

Onion, garlic, fresh chilli, yellow pepper, tomato gently sauteed (in that order) until soft, then chuck in seasoning, paprika, dried oregano,  chilli flakes.  Add prawns, turn up heat and cook quickly.  Finish with lime juice and fresh coriander.

Meanwhile dry-grill some good bread (I used slightly stale sourdough bought for a pittance that would otherwise have been thrown away), preferably on a ridged grill to give some burn marks (but simple toasting would work), and make a side salad.

Serve the spicy prawns on the grilled sourdough (or in a wrap, or just on the plate) with chips, mayonnaise and harissa or whatever you prefer on chips, and salad.

**** my ass that sounds good.

I'll pay you 10 whole pounds if you deliver that to my desk in the next 2 hours.

Thanks.

47 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't get what yellow pepper is adding to the party?  Crunch and sweetness? 

Had one available and wanted something to help bulk it out - some big eaters chez moi.  It's not necessary.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

**** my ass that sounds good.

I'll pay you 10 whole pounds if you deliver that to my desk in the next 2 hours.

Thanks.

I took a wrong turn, but I'm almost there.  Just hang on for a few minutes more.

• Like 1

A lot of new places opening in Brum in the next few months. This list doesn't include Dirty Martini, which is opening in place of Viva Brazil on Bennetts Hill and an Indian Rasoi opening in the old Adams restaurant on the same road.

The whole Temple Street/Waterloo Street/Temple Row/Bennetss Hill area is absolutely booming 

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/restaurants-opening-soon-in-birmingham--13310096

So who else is joining Birmingham’s fabulous foodie scene? We can happily report there is lots more to come in the next 12 months. Just feast your eyes on the below. Happy eating and drinking!

• Like 2

Â