What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

41 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Just about to sit down to some honey and wholegrain mustard glazed gammon (simmered with peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley stalks then smeared in glaze and roasted), dauphinoise potatoes and broccoli.

I always seem to overdo that, roasting it for too long even though I know it's already cooked through.  I think I default to normal roasting times, and it ends up too dry.  Some kind of mental block.  :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, peterms said:

I always seem to overdo that, roasting it for too long even though I know it's already cooked through.  I think I default to normal roasting times, and it ends up too dry.  Some kind of mental block.  :)

It's the first time I've done it that way.

If I buy a gammon slipper it's normally smoked and from a supermarket and I just roast it (and don't bother with any glaze or anything). This was unsmoked from a farm shop opposite a friend's house so I looked up for some more info and came upon a Beeb recipe for boiling and then roasting - splitting the time: I did 45 mins on a simmer, 15 mins rest, 45 minutes roast @ 180 and finally 15 mins rest for a joint just under 1kg.

It was succulent without being wet. I'll be doing it that way again.

Edited by snowychap

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's the first time I've done it that way.

If I buy a gammon slipper it's normally smoked and from a supermarket and I just roast it (and don't bother with any glaze or anything). This was unsmoked from a farm shop opposite a friend's house so I looked up for some more info and came upon a Beeb recipe for boiling and then roasting - splitting the time: I did 45 mins on a simmer, 15 mins rest, 45 minutes roast @ 180 and finally 15 mins rest for a joint just under 1kg.

It was succulent without being wet. I'll be doing it that way again as it wasn't any trouble.

One thing is to boil it once in plain water and throw away the water as soon as it comes to the boil (to remove some excess salt) but keep the flavoured water you then simmer it in, for stock for a great lentil soup.

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

One thing is to boil it once in plain water and throw away the water as soon as it comes to the boil (to remove some excess salt) but keep the flavoured water you then simmer it in, for stock for a great lentil soup.

I think the excess salt was sorted out by immersing it in water for a fair few hours before boiling. I'll take the second suggestion on board for next time! I'm quite partial to a lentil and bacon soup so that sounds ideal. :)

Edited by snowychap

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think the excess salt was sorted out by immersing it in water for a fair few hours before boiling. I'll take the second suggestion on board for next time! I'm quite partial to a lentil and bacon soup so that sounds ideal. :)

The long soak is better, the quick boil is ok when you haven't planned that far ahead.

Even better is a long soak but in a bowl under a very slow running tap, so there's a gradual and continuous change of water.  (That's also good for defrosting big lumps of meat more quickly).

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 20:42, peterms said:

Fish stew as described earlier.

Fish stew.jpg

Whilst that looks fantastic (it really does), one of my pet hates is prawns in their shell in meals.

I love prawns, but I hate removing their shells. Such a faff!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whilst that looks fantastic (it really does), one of my pet hates is prawns in their shell in meals.

I love prawns, but I hate removing their shells. Such a faff!

It's not so bad when they are cold, but in this, they are hot as well as fiddly, which doesn't help.  And I'd made the dish specially for someone who had never had mussels, and it turned out she'd never shelled a prawn before either, so doubly difficult.  It would be better to remove them first, but it just looks so much better with them on, so I let people struggle and burn their fingers.  :blush:

At least they weren't langoustines.

Is there an easy way to shell them when they're cooked?

I've done it when they're cold and raw before and it's really easy. They almost slide off.

But it seems as soon as they're cooked the shell comes off in little bits instead.

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is there an easy way to shell them when they're cooked?

I've done it when they're cold and raw before and it's really easy. They almost slide off.

But it seems as soon as they're cooked the shell comes off in little bits instead.

I just tell mine that they look fat in that outfit. 

21 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've eaten some shit today. Just finished a 15 inch pizza from the Italian and now I've just opened a tub of quality street   :)

tenor.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been vegetarian for about a month now. Easiest thing I've ever done and the food without meat is much nicer. Everything is geared up for vegetarians these days.

It helped that I wasn't a big meat eater anyway and I've always liked fruit and vegetables.

I don't have butter or milk either if I can help it. More a health thing, I think I'm a bit lactose intolerant. Full vegan would be very difficult.

i reckon i could give it a go, id have said 10+ years ago i couldnt even think about it but now trying to cook more and more foreign dishes i probably could, traditional english food or just fruit and veg and id struggle

i think cheese would become a massive part of my diet so im not sure how much healthier it would actually be

My wife and I get that Hello Fresh box delivered every 2/3 weeks so we have 1 week where we have 3 veggie meals. Really enjoy the stuff they come up with and all the different ingredients. When my wife first suggested it, I was very apprehensive at the thought of having a meal without meat, wasn't sure my body would cope.. but actually, we have had some right belters. 

Worth checking out if you haven't already. You can pick and choose the weeks you want and can see what is included.  

Edited by Tayls

Â