You are Paul Lambert...

Dodgyknees

i do laugh at this assumption that Okore would have instantly been first choice had he not got injured - people forget he is young and this is his first season in the Prem league. I am sure he will be a great signing - but marking him up as the saviour of our defence after about 20 mins played is just insane.

• Like 1

If I were Lambert I would carry on doing pretty much exactly what I was doing until I got my next slice of transfer budget.

Exceptions to this would be...

Bring Lowton back in move Bacuna into midfield. Never play Kozac unless there is two up front with wide players feeding them.

I would be tempted to bring in a loan player for central defence and midfield if allowed and someone decent is available.

i do laugh at this assumption that Okore would have instantly been first choice had he not got injured - people forget he is young and this is his first season in the Prem league. I am sure he will be a great signing - but marking him up as the saviour of our defence after about 20 mins played is just insane.

Saviour? No.

Better than Clark (who, to be fair, has improved) and Baker? Absolutely. Why buy him otherwise?

Does that make him first choice, despite his lack of experience? Yes.

The things where i don't think Lambert helps himself is he doesn't explain in any kind of detail after a match what he thinks went on.... things that give you an inkling that he is in control of his thoughts as to whats happening.

I have just listened to Mourinho after the Arsenal game and his description of things was bang on and his observations leave you in no doubt he knows what is going on.

Roberto Martinez equally gives you a graphic description of what has transpired from his point of view, Bobby Robson used to do the same. Pardew has his moments too where he leaves you in doubt as to his understanding of the match

Despite the results these guys leave you with an impression, win lose or draw, they are in control of their thoughts.

In contrast our manager talks in generalizations and nondescripts, bland unconvincing statements, even the weather is getting a mention now.....I am really worried guys.

Edited by TRO

Saviour? No.

Better than Clark (who, to be fair, has improved) and Baker? Absolutely. Why buy him otherwise?

Does that make him first choice, despite his lack of experience? Yes.

The point is we only presume he is better than Clark, we don't actually know.

Vlaar and Clark has been a pretty decent central partnership, the issues are more around if they get injured we are screwed and our left backs are terrible.

Enjoying this thread so thought I'd had my two cents.

Going back to the original post I would try and go with the player I have, but work with them on a better pattern of player on the training. I honestly have been watching all season and the best I can work out is the pass the ball around until you get stuck then lump it up field. I have a more indepth one, but I have shortened it for this thread.

If I was going to spend the 10 million it would be on an attacking center midfielder, maybe Tom Ince could fill that role.

The link I have below is a pattern of play I would use with the formation he is playing right now. I have also added a link to how I set up the team I coach at corners. We concede very few goals from corners as long as everyone is in position and do their job.

http://tinyurl.com/km5uhnv - Pattern of Play

http://tinyurl.com/lh2cxgg - Defending Corners

I have faith in lambert because I think he is great man manager, and that is vastly more important than tactics.

I am also of the opinion our recent problems defensively come down to Vlaar. It is also ridiculous to slate Lambert for not getting another CB. We had four at the start of the season with Herd and Doncian for extra cover. Both first choice down at the same time is just unlucky.

That being said, he always seems to wait too long to change it up, both in games and with systems that are not are working over a series of games, and one good game from a player seems to give him a four game run no matter how he plays.

I think he could tactically be a lot better. That being said, I think you can learn that particular trait.

Really? We should have hired Mr. Motivator then instead and I'll remind Pep what to concentrate on next time I bump into him.

He was the most expensive defender the manager has signed.......maybe that is an indication he would have played?

Fair enough. But Okore was left out in the Arsenal game and when Baker, first choice (!) alongside Vlaar was injured, Clark came on to take his place so looked very much fourth choice for that game. 

He then wasn't started against Chelsea in the next game, with Clark preferred and Okore came off the bench to replace the injured Clark - and remained in the team because both the Chuckle Brothers had been injured.

The centre halves have always been central to our game. If you go back in time, we have always soaked pressure up and countered, but essential to have 2 guys who can command the centre of the park at the back.

we are totally exposed right now.

Paul Lambert needs to get tough here and spell it out in no uncertain terms we need reinforcements quick....suspend austerity and restore prosperity.

Even if it is only temporary

Edited by TRO

I think we're in a decent position in terms of numbers in the squad. When all fit there's some players of a decent standard too.

Guzan, Vlaar, Clark, Okore, Delph, Gabby, Benteke.

With some careful investment, in midfield in particular, we good have a decent team. I'm hoping that's the game plan in the summer once some more players are off the books.

I'd also expect a few of the newer signings to go out on loan. Players like Helenius, Bowery, Donacien, even Sylla if we get some quality in.

Problem we have is that there are too many 'back ups' that are being relied upon in the first team. KEA, Andi, Tonev, Bacuna et al are bench quality at best.

Guzan

Lowton, Vlaar, Clark / Okore, Luna / New LB

Albrighton, New DCM, Delph, Gabby

New No. 10

Benteke

Capable team to build upon.

• Like 1

He was the most expensive defender the manager has signed.......maybe that is an indication he would have played?

Fair enough. But Okore was left out in the Arsenal game and when Baker, first choice (!) alongside Vlaar was injured, Clark came on to take his place so looked very much fourth choice for that game. 

He then wasn't started against Chelsea in the next game, with Clark preferred and Okore came off the bench to replace the injured Clark - and remained in the team because both the Chuckle Brothers had been injured.

If I remember correctly, Okore suffered a hamstring injury pre-season and only made an appearance in the last game.  He wouldn't have been match-fit come the start of the season.

• Like 3

I have faith in lambert because I think he is great man manager, and that is vastly more important than tactics.

I am also of the opinion our recent problems defensively come down to Vlaar. It is also ridiculous to slate Lambert for not getting another CB. We had four at the start of the season with Herd and Doncian for extra cover. Both first choice down at the same time is just unlucky.

That being said, he always seems to wait too long to change it up, both in games and with systems that are not are working over a series of games, and one good game from a player seems to give him a four game run no matter how he plays.

I think he could tactically be a lot better. That being said, I think you can learn that particular trait.

Really? We should have hired Mr. Motivator then instead and I'll remind Pep what to concentrate on next time I bump into him.

Because I said tactics do not matter? Did you give a name to this straw man?

There are a lot of people who understand football very well. The difference between great managers and alright ones is not tactics. It is the ability to motivate the players. It is true in every sport.

Hadn't remembered the Okore injury, that's fair enough then. Still makes him fourth choice at the beginning of the season though....

Clark? Chuckle brother? One of our best players this season. Again, don't let that get in the way of a completely unnecessary dig.

During pre-season the majority of people on here were calling Clark much worse, and hailing Baker and the best defender at the club.

They are both terrible, and both a mistake waiting to happen in each and every game.

Hadn't remembered the Okore injury, that's fair enough then. Still makes him fourth choice at the beginning of the season though....

Clark? Chuckle brother? One of our best players this season. Again, don't let that get in the way of a completely unnecessary dig.

During pre-season the majority of people on here were calling Clark much worse, and hailing Baker and the best defender at the club.

They are both terrible, and both a mistake waiting to happen in each and every game.

Yes Okore was fourth choice, because he was injured for the majority of pre-season. 

We're now 17 games in. What relevance does what the majority of what people were saying then, have now? I'll tell you. Absolutely none. I also wrote Clark off at the beginning of the season and he was rightly 3rd choice going into the season but he's been very good this year. You know, because you can change your opinion based on what happens on the pitch? I was wrong and I'm glad he keeps proving me wrong. Clearly you don't watch games, or if you do, you're so intent on spouting negative view after negative view that you couldn't possibly change your mind.

Â