• Sylla
    • Benteke
    • Albrigthon
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann (for Sylla 62)
    • Kozák (for Benteke 79)
    • Bacuna (for El Ahmadi 86)

How is KEA still getting game time ?

I think he was one of the best first half ..

Really? I thought it was a toss up between him and baker for the worst!

Per opta stats, successful tackles that game:

KEA 5

Albrighton 5

Westwood 2

Sylla 1

Tackling isn't everything, but it all helps.

I'm struggling to see how we've progressed under Lambert to be fair. Under McLeish we were awful and everyone complained about his negative tactics. Just to put it out there, we've scored 6 goals at home and 3 of them were in one game. I'm not saying id want McLeish back, but you've got to ask questions of Lambert. As a so called attacking manager, he needs to sort the home form out, but we've been saying it for years. We're just so easy to play against and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to change that.

• Like 3

today wasn't about the quality of Man Utd - it was the inability to defend. If we defend like against crystal palace and swansea the result will be the same. We look as poor in defence as we did last season when Vlaar was injured. Really hope lambert learns his lesson and brings in another experienced CB in jan

More points than last season, rescued more points from losing positions than last season, key players injured and out of form, but people still moan.

Did anyone honestly expect a win today?

No perhaps not - but do we approach Crystal Palace + Swansea games with the hope that it will be different ? 

I see this was the week for charitable deeds randys donation the hospital visits, rumour was that luna reckoned he was a left back pity they didn't keep him in the psychiatric ward and then we donate the match. Awful bunch of players that need to get a football for Christmas and try to learn what it is for, GUMPS the lot of them. 

Well i said in the united thread the chances are after everyone beating manu they'd come here and get their easiest 3 points of the season, the horrendous performances continue. Im not one for Lambert out and all that stuff but if we play the whole season like this then things need to be looked at this is no better than what we had under mcleish.

Sad, sorry and avoidable, which is the frustrating thing. The way we came out for the first 10 minutes suggested we could get something from this, but after they scored their first, it was back to the usual disjointed Championship stuff.

Their worst side in YEARS, and we still get manhandled by them at home.

Sick

Not going to moan about the result because we were playing a much better team. But yet again what an awful performance.first ten mins we looked up for it. But then went back to same old villa at home. It was way to easy for them and they only played ok because we let them. We just aint got a clue how to take a game to anyone. Did not create one clear cut chance all game again. Second half utd seemed prepared to sit back a bit but we still did not put them under enough pressure. Albrighton was only positive for me but he's just an average player at best. Absolute dreadful. Like I said utd much better team but it was just like a kick about for them. Benteke looked lost again and we can't pass to save our lives. Big crowd,dreadful atmosphere and performance.but we did not expect to get anything so no point going on to much

Words to sum up the day- grey, dull, insipid, listless, poor, unambitious, predictable, Nathan Baker, depressing, flat, flaccid, Ryan Giggs, cockney reds,  no midfield, mutterings, rubbish, dire, 11 in 46.

We are soooo shit at home. We ought to have a big flashing neon sign outside saying ‘welcome to villa park, purveyors of shit football since 2011’ I am fed up of going to B6 in which the highlight is the burger and chips before the match.

How flat was the atmosphere even BEFORE the goals went in? Everyone knew we would lose, we lost, everyone left. As BB King once sang, the thrill is gone.

WUM’s always say what is the point of Aston Villa, and on this performance I understand the question. We are nowhere near the top teams and staying in the premier league for us is not a achievement. The echoes of past glories hang like a millstone around Villa Park these days.

How can a 40 old codger have the entire midfield to himself? Not good enough.

Bah humbug too you all.

Atmosphere was dreadful but what you expect. People know how the games going to go so its just negative straight away. We are a nothing club now. I've heard fans from other clubs call us the beige of football clubs.boring, nothing going on etc etc. 2 big home games coming up over xmas period.

No we are not better than under McLeish - Yes we are

We are slipping from that much lauded position of mid table. - Well we're not are we. We were 11th before and are still 11th so that's the same. You ridicule the 'much-lauded' mid-table position. Where exactly do you think we should be given the minimal resources employed

The improvement which you have defended Lambert with has stopped  For the moment yes, as I've told you many many times, I don't ever expect that we will have a seamless rise up the table. It will be hard and It probably won't feature many wins against top four clubs. If you are expecting world class performances from average footballers you destined to be very disappointed and I'll ask you the same question again which you have continually failed to answer. ????????

Do you think that no other manager could have purchased better players than Lambert? Who knows. If it makes you happy let's say YES. The kind of money we are willing to pay buys average players I'm afraid. Lets hope we are backed with a bit of cash to bring in more quality in January (last January PL was given enough money to buy Sylla You'll remember)

The Lambert v Mcleish comparison has been mentioned by many more posters that I but rather than get into a pantomime scenario i'll let the results and the present standard of football speak for me.

I have on numerous occasions stated where I think we'll finish (with fingers crossed) under the premise that we would repeat or better the form shown in our run in last season but we have stagnated and indeed regressed alarmingly from that which is very worrying and if we don't improve quickly I can see us back in a relegation dog fight again. However, if we are in the bottom 6 by January then one would hope with the reduction in wage outlay that Lerner will open his cheque book for the quality we need to get out of trouble as i'm not sure Benteke is of a mind to repeat his form of last season. The difficulty is however that even with an open cheque book would that quality want to come to us with our hypothetical lowly position?

Lastly Sylla isn't quality if thats what you are getting at and no i don't expect world class performances but i do expect a lot better from an Aston Villa football team than is currently being presented at the moment.

Another wasted trip to watch the usual shite.

OK I did not really expect us to win but the manner of us losing today was simply unforgivable. I am very rapidly coming to the conclusion that many of our players are simply not Premiership material and nor is our manager. Yet again we are undone by basic school boy errors and very poor tactical awareness. We are complete pushovers at VP and every club in the Premiership know it. I don't buy the crowd being on the players' case either. Today it was quiet post their first two goals but there was naff all to cheer about. We play piss poorly as a team and we seem to have no Plan A and certainly no Plan B.

I would have expected Lambert to at minimum have made us difficult to beat but not a chance. Most of that team are his signings now so the buck stops with him. Seemingly we have spent what little money we have on some very average players

Many on VT hate Joe Bennett but I actually think Luna is worse. Why did he spend so much time letting Valencia stand behind him rather than keeping tight to him? Rooney repeatedly pumped balls from midfield that sailed over Luna to Valencia. He was caught upfield loads of times and Baker constantly had to cover him. Man U were targeting the left throughout the first half which is where both Welbeck's goals came from.

Admittedly Baker played badly but he was trying to cover for Luna. Baker's 'pass' to Man U for their second goal was as bad as any park side I have watched. I had high hopes for Baker but he looks like a stopper who needs to play with a classy CB like Vlaar. Clark did OK IMO but the Baker/Clark pairing has accident waiting to happen written all over it. I know its down to injuries but maybe we should not have relied on both and bought another CB.

Westwood did OK for me but the TV seemed to blame him for both Welbeck's goals, not sure I completely agree as he had too much to cover. We missed Delph enormously. Sylla had a mare of a game and seemed to have got Luna's habit of passing to the opposition. Lowton did OK too but again made some sloppy errors.

Gabby worked hard but produced very little, just about every call he made was wrong.  Albrighton was outstanding for me he skinned the full back time after time and got the ball in the box only for whoever was in the box to waste it. I just can't decide whether KEA is good or bad. He runs around like an over enthusiastic puppy rushing up to the opposition players and when he has the ball he seems to run around in circles. 

Benteke remains my number one disappointment. It was his goals last season that kept us up but this season he is a shadow or his former self. He makes the most basic of errors in that he fails to control the ball properly most of the time and any half decent centre back has no problem in dealing with him. Brown and O'Shea in the Sunderland game, Jones and Evans today. Some say he does not want to play for us and is 'sulking' I don't buy that I just think he has completely lost his form and that for us is very very worrying. We desperately need either someone who can score goals or better still a player who can create the chances for our strikers.

Our position in the league flatters us hugely. Unless we either strengthen the squad or maybe even change manager I expect a very long and very hard season.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Changing the manager everytime you have a have a bad run is never the answer. You just go back to square one! We are in a safe position in the league. We won't go down and hopefully Lambert will be given a bigger spending budget to work with next summer than he was this. Lets face it he brought a ,lot of players in the this summer but they were all pretty cheap.

Stoke,Palace, Swansea. Need 4 to 6 pts mim from that lot. Have to play better than today or we are going to struggle. If Vlaar is injured for a long period, its time to get the worry balls out. In a fantasy world I would love Lerner to give Lambert money for a quality defender and ball winning midfielder. It won't happen though.

Â