The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

What relevance does the "reportedly" have in that clue.

I get the rest of it, I just don't see why that bit is necessary.

(genuine question. I'm shit at cryptic crosswords)

I'm missing my quiz tonight. Can't be bothered and need to go stock up on alcohol for the weekend. 

Hope my team don't get any 80's or 90's music questions or it will be a struggle on the older music round! 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How is that a quiz question? :crylaugh:

I think it qualifies, there's no ambiguity. That is...

EDIT: oops gave the game away there.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1

Hi All,

To celebrate my recent Australian citizenship, I hosted a bit of a shindig. Part of the entertainment for said shindig was some Australian themed trivia.

Try your luck:

1.       How many ships made up the First Fleet?

2.       In which Australian state will you find the town of Yorkey’s Knob?

3.       As a percentage, the current number of Australian citizens born overseas, is roughly.

4.       Which Australian cricket player declared the innings in a Test Match when his individual score reached 334 equalling that of Don Bradman?

5.       Julia Gillard was Prime Minister from what year ‘til what year?

6.       John Newcombe won the Australian Open Singles Tennis Championship twice. What years?

7.       The Big Banana is in Coffs Harbour. Goulburn has The Big Merino. Ballina has the Big Prawn. In which NSW town will you find The Big Axe?

8.       In 1997, a referendum resulted in Advance Australia Fair being voted the new National Anthem. Which song finished second?

9.       Released in 1986, what was the first album by an Australian artist to sell more than 1 million copies in Australia?

10.   Which department store opened its doors on the corner of George & Barrack Sts, Sydney in 1838?

11.   Governor Phillip called this place Rock Island. It was also known as Pinchgut. What am I talking about?

12.   The Birdsville Track runs through which two states?

13.   What type of animal is a Drongo?

14.   What does CSIRO stand for?

15.   In which year did television first appear in Australia?

16.   What does the town of Tumut in NSW have in common with the suburb of Glenelg, in Adelaide, and Parap in Darwin?

17.   Who is the longest serving female presenter on Play School?

18.   Which Australian city was, as a fledgling settlement, originally named Batmania?

19.   Who is the only person to be awarded both Young Australian of the Year, and Australian of the Year?

20.   In the iconic Australian 1997 film The Castle, Darryl Kerrigan and Sal Kerrigan have how many kids?

21.   Which Australian Christmas tradition began in Melbourne in 1937?

22.   “I LIKE YOUNG ME” is an anagram of the name of which famous Australian?

23.   Who is the most recent Australian tennis player to be ranked World number 1? And what year?

24.   What is the highest grossing Australian movie of all time?

25.   Which Australian landmark sits on what has been called, among other names, Limeburner’s Point.

26.   Australian pop music group Justice Crew rose to fame after winning which season of Australia’s Got Talent?

27.   What is the more common name of the Ornithorhynchus anatinus?

28.   “A dingo stole my baybay” was declared by Lindy Chamberlain in 1980. What month?

29.   1988, the year I finished high school, also saw the launch of which two long running Australian TV shows?

30.   Which is further north; Cairns in Queensland, or Derby in W. Aust?

31.   Who was the first Australian Aboriginal to win an Olympic Gold medal?

32.  Neighbours! Scott and Charlene got married. But before they did they had different surnames. What were they?

Answers on Monday...

not one on Prisoner Cell block H or the littlest Hobo :(

but  a few I know (I think)

3. Probably something daft like 50%

4. Mark Taylor (V Pakistan , do I get an extra point ?)

8. Waltzing Matilda :) 

13. A Bird

16 . no idea of the link but interestingly  they all read the same forward and backward

22. Kylie Minogue

23. Lleyton Hewitt .. late 90's ?

24. Mad Max Fury Road

25. Opera House  Sydney

27 . Platypus

29. Home and Away and Neighbours

30. 50 /50 - lets go for Cairns

31 . Cathy Freeman springs to mind but she was stripped of hers so not sure it can be her

32. He was Robinson wasn't he ..no idea about her though

P.s 

9.Bloke in my office reckons it's John Fordham  and  Whispering Jack !!

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I reckon I know a few, or at least can guess a few, though I have spent a good spell of time there

Spoiler

Try your luck:

1.       11

2.       Dunno, I've seen Iron Knob in SA, so SA ?

3.       A quarter

4.       Tubbs - Mark Taylor

5. 2010 till right at the end of 2013 I think.

6. '73 and '74

8.   Waltzing Mathilda

9.       INXS The Kick Inside

11.  The Sort of Island iFort/prison place n Sydney Harbour

12. From SA up North to NT, I think

13.   Bird

16.  They start and end with the same letters

18.   Melbourne

19.   SHane Warne? 

22.   Kylie Minogue

23.   Mark Philpousis ? 

24.   Crocodile Dundee

29.   Neighbours and Home and Away

30.   Cairns ?

31. in the 2000 games Cathy Freeman?

• Like 1

Nailed it.

Spoiler

1.       How many ships made up the First Fleet? Definitely 10, maybe.

2.       In which Australian state will you find the town of Yorkey’s Knob?  Jordan isn't an Australian state, so I'll say NSW.

3.       As a percentage, the current number of Australian citizens born overseas, is roughly 20%

4.       Which Australian cricket player declared the innings in a Test Match when his individual score reached 334 equalling that of Don Bradman? Shane Warne

5.       Julia Gillard was Prime Minister from what year ‘til what year? Ummm, 2005 to 2015

6.       John Newcombe won the Australian Open Singles Tennis Championship twice. What years? Not a clue 1965 and 1968

7.       The Big Banana is in Coffs Harbour. Goulburn has The Big Merino. Ballina has the Big Prawn. In which NSW town will you find The Big Axe? Sydney

8.       In 1997, a referendum resulted in Advance Australia Fair being voted the new National Anthem. Which song finished second? And the Band played Waltzing Matilda

9.       Released in 1986, what was the first album by an Australian artist to sell more than 1 million copies in Australia? Midnight Oil.  Don't know name of album

10.   Which department store opened its doors on the corner of George & Barrack Sts, Sydney in 1838? Penneys

11.   Governor Phillip called this place Rock Island. It was also known as Pinchgut. What am I talking about? Umm, Tasmania?

12.   The Birdsville Track runs through which two states? South & NSW

13.   What type of animal is a Drongo? Dog

15.   In which year did television first appear in Australia? 1955

18.   Which Australian city was, as a fledgling settlement, originally named Batmania? Perth

19.   Who is the only person to be awarded both Young Australian of the Year, and Australian of the Year? Mark Bosnich

20.   In the iconic Australian 1997 film The Castle, Darryl Kerrigan and Sal Kerrigan have how many kids? 4

21.   Which Australian Christmas tradition began in Melbourne in 1937? The purge

22.   “I LIKE YOUNG ME” is an anagram of the name of which famous Australian?  MIIKELE YOUNG

23.   Who is the most recent Australian tennis player to be ranked World number 1? And what year? Don't be ridiculous. Never happened

24.   What is the highest grossing Australian movie of all time? Lord of the Rings.

25.   Which Australian landmark sits on what has been called, among other names, Limeburner’s Point. Sydney Opera House

26.   Australian pop music group Justice Crew rose to fame after winning which season of Australia’s Got Talent? 6th

27.   What is the more common name of the Ornithorhynchus anatinus? Bird eating spider

28.   “A dingo stole my baybay” was declared by Lindy Chamberlain in 1980. What month? December

29.   1988, the year I finished high school, also saw the launch of which two long running Australian TV shows?  Neighbours & Home and Away

30.   Which is further north; Cairns in Queensland, or Derby in W. Aust?  Definitely Cairns

31.   Who was the first Australian Aboriginal to win an Olympic Gold medal? Cathy Freeman

32.  Neighbours! Scott and Charlene got married. But before they did they had different surnames. What were they?  Hogan & Spiteri.

• Like 2

Spoiler

2. Quennsland

4. Taylor (Matthew?)

7. Kew

9. Whispering Jack

10. David Jones

11. Fort Denison

13. Drongo

18. Melbourne

21. Candlelit Carols

24. Mad Max