The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

This just came to me and I don't know how I'll stack up to the real Beatles fanatics on here like @bickster, but here it is:

Name as many cities *outside of England* that the Beatles played live (non-TV studio or filmset) venues in.

I'll go first.

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Aberdeen

Cardiff

Swansea

Dublin

Stockholm

Copenhagen

Hamburg

Berlin

Cologne

Brussels

Antwerp

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Arnhem

Lyon

Paris

Manila

Boston

NYC

Washington DC

Miami

Chicago

Los Angeles

Edited by maqroll

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Add San Francisco to the list.  In fact, I think that may have been the very last concert they did, at Candlestick Park.

... is the right answer. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

This just came to me and I don't know how I'll stack up to the real Beatles fanatics on here like @bickster, but here it is:

Name as many cities *outside of England* that the Beatles played live (non-TV studio or filmset) venues in.

I'll go first.

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Aberdeen

Cardiff

Swansea

Dublin

Stockholm

Copenhagen

Hamburg

Berlin

Cologne

Brussels

Antwerp

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Arnhem

Lyon

Paris

Manila

Boston

NYC

Washington DC

Miami

Chicago

Los Angeles

Probably an almost endless list , their US tour was coast to coast  so you’d have to add Memphis , New Orleans ,Vegas , Philadelphia Seattle and so in to that list  not forgetting the famous jacksonville gigs where they refused to play if the crowd was segregated 

Then you’d have to add Canada so at least Toronto and Montreal would be a couple of obvious ones and then they also went down to Oz and New Zealand and of course Japan 

im sure there are more 

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Add San Francisco to the list.  In fact, I think that may have been the very last concert they did, at Candlestick Park.

If you discount the rooftop concert :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. Although the original question was about cities outside England. 

Yeah fair point ...  but il_S  said the very last concert they did which sorta made it more ambiguous 

Dec Next year and Lennon would have been dead longer than he was alive , frightening how quickly time goes by

On 16/02/2019 at 19:56, HanoiVillan said:

It gave me Birmingham and Sheffield, which is probably pretty much exactly right since I'm local and my best friend is from Chesterfield. 

Same.

Initially I thought that made sense as I've lived in Birmingham my whole life except uni which was Leeds, hence the Yorkshire influence.

But both my sisters and my girlfriend got the same results, so I think that's fairly common.
Can only assume Brum and Sheffield share some dialect.

• 3 months later...

So, Mastermind, the 2019 final, just finished. Everything hung on the final question, which the last contestant had to get right to win. 

Q. What animal was the insignia of the British 7th Armoured Division in WWII? 

A. The gerbil

This was deemed correct and the contestant declared the winner. 

In fact it was wrong, the animal on the badge was a jerboa, a similar, but different creature. 

If I'd been the guy 'beaten' into second place, I'd have been **** ing seething. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Watching the Canadian hypnotoad on BBC4 so didnt watch the general knowledge round. The person that won, was it the man who died? 

Sadly, no, it was the accountant woman (Fortunes of War books). She 'beat' the Owain Glyndwr bloke. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Sadly, no, it was the accountant woman (Fortunes of War books). She 'beat' the Owain Glyndwr bloke. 

Ah. All very strong, thought the man might have got it. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, maqroll said:

What US state is closest to mainland Africa?

51 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Maine ? Hangs off to the right ? 

Is it some weird quirk that like Hawaii is so far to the west that it's actually closer to Africa than the east of the US?

Edit: actually having now looked at a map there's no way that's true :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â