The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

Yes, the male, but only because he's been in the news recently.

So I could take a guess at who the woman is from that!

Jimmy Carter and his wife, which google tells me is

Rosalyn Smith

Multi-level spoiler tags.

FsRJf.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Don't know the answer but my favourite bit of Steve McQueen trivia is that for the bike stunt at the end of the great escape McQueen played one of the german guards on a motorbike chasing his stunt double

• Like 3

Pirates use a Skull and Crossbones as their flag,  what is the perceived source of this flag configuration ?

one of those conspiracy type pieces I read suggests it's to do with the Holy Grail  but I've also seen it linked to Tutankhamen  and his crook and flail  so I couldn't really give you a definitive answer  here

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, useless said:

Congratulations you join me and a select few from America's universities in getting the answer right.

What's your source for that?

I imagine most people could work that out when they're about 7 years old.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

this IS America we are talking about :)

Many thousands of university students have answered the bat-and-ball puzzle, and the results are shocking.More than 50% of students at Harvard, MIT, and Princeton gave the intuitive—incorrect—answer. At less selective universities, the rate of demonstrable failure to check was in excess of 80%. The bat-and-ball problem is our first encounter with an observation that will be a recurrent theme of this book:

many people are overconfident, prone to place too much faith in their intuitions. They apparently find cognitive effort at least mildly unpleasant and avoid it as much as possible

Edited by tonyh29

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:
6 minutes ago, useless said:

Congratulations you join me and a select few from America's universities in getting the answer right.

That people can work it out if they stop to think about it, isn't the point, that's why I said to try and answer it as quickly as possible. The point is that most people at a glance would intuitively say

Spoiler

10p

The source for the figures is a book called 'Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow' The author was involved in a study that the question was designed to help with The exact figures given are something like 80% at regular universities got the answer wrong and just over 50% at top universities like Harvard, MIT, Princeton,ect.

I can see why.  Although in fairness when you're asked to NOT think about it, but rather to use your intuition instead, then you are being asked to fail.  Doesn't make you stoopid.  Just proves a point.  Think before you speak.  A good lesson for anyone I think :D

• Like 2

Pretty sure you'd get similar results in whichever country the question was asked in. I mean even without asking people to not think too much about it, I'm sure there would still be quite a few people who'd say ten cents.

Â