Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

187 pages and nothing new, this thread is dead

I'm going to commit 187 on Randy Lerner soon.

I worry that we have an underwhelming January window and we're all back here in six months for the summer window which is, again, underwhelming.

No surprise with Defour really. I don't think any of us thought we were going to land him deep down. We all know what will happen in this window, various links with Kiyote the return of Young, Milner etc. And then 29th Jan we'll see a bid accepted for Hoolahan and then another random 21 year old Macclesfield midfielder.  :mellow:

187 pages and nothing new, this thread is dead

I'm going to commit 187 on Randy Lerner soon.

I worry that we have an underwhelming January window and we're all back here in six months for the summer window which is, again, underwhelming.

Christ you not even a glass half empty kind of chap, more of a "just tip it on the floor coz I probably would have spilt it anyway" type of fella ;)

• Like 2

If we end up with something like Wells and Hoolahan at the end of January I'll be bitterly dissappointed but not surpriced.

Just like last seasons Sylla (and Dawkins) they might be a short term lift but it will hardly be a show of intent will it?

We aren't going to get anyone in to give us a lift before losing the next two matches whereby the table could have us in a desperate position and also lacking in confidence.

again, looking on the bright side....

If we end up with something like Wells and Hoolahan at the end of January I'll be bitterly dissappointed but not surpriced.

Just like last seasons Sylla (and Dawkins) they might be a short term lift but it will hardly be a show of intent will it?

Wells signing for Huddersfield it seems. Hoolahan would be good short term for us I think, would be smart business. Sylla coming in combined with what PL managed to do in terms of shifting tactics and getting the team to play radically better second half of the season if repeated will see us finish top half. That would be fine for this year, then we have a good look at the squad in the summer when there's more value to be had and (hopefully) all the bomb squad are off the books.

I agree with Avflife.

As we are probably paying a large part of his salary anyway, I feel Given should be our back-up and Steer should be out on loan, as he certainly does not look anything near good enough at this stage to take over if Guzan is injured.

Both you and Avflife have mentioned this - surely we could recall Given from loan if Guzan gets injured?

Essentially, he's getting first team football regularly at Middlesbrough whilst they are, presumably, paying a certain % of his wages.  Keeps Given happy by playing, keeps him sharp if we need him again and also (hopefully) some of his wages off our bill.  Win/win/win?

There would certainly be some merit in that if we could, in fact, recall him from loan immediately, but that would have to have been in the conditions of the loan - not sure that happens very often.

In that case, we could have Siegrist or any of our other keepers in there if they are not going to be used.

Still think, however, that Steer needs to be playing regularly somewhere, because he is not up to the task of back-up, if required, at the moment.

January trasnfers (as nearly every manager under the sun has said) are extremely difficult and usually over priced. i think i recall Ferguson or Wenger saying there was generally no value in the January window and not much on offer anyway. This year might be difeferent slightly in that its a world cup year but that's generally for the cream of the crop (and I doubt we're shopping there) so it's not surprising that any potential new signings are taking time as the leeches (sorry agents) look to make a killing.

Stoke have bought a really good ACM that we should have been in for. Lots of premier league experience and I saw him unlock some defences at Man City, so just the player we needed in the middle of the park imo.

And I've seen the same player do F*** all since!!!

As the Financial Adviser will tell you "past performance is no guarantee of future performance". He was crap and he's gone.

• Like 1

Â