Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Absolutely HairyHands, they're becoming the most in vogue type of player to have now, what with the popularity of the 4-2-3-1 tactic employed by the likes of Chelsea.  With that in mind, it might be one of the few positions where we need to relax our wage limitation in order to bring one in that isn't just run-of-the-mill.

• Like 1

Nah sorry Morpheus I don't mean there is a specific wage cap. More a general point - the days of signing guys on those wages are over with as things stand. You would hope, the better the team performs and getting rid of the final batch - Given, Hutton, Nzgobia - will maybe free up more money but I'd be lying if I suggested I knew exactly what the top line available was.

Don't want to move completely off topic but possession could obviously be better but when you are a counter-attacking team - which is the case when everyone is fit - it isn't critical. Better players keep the ball better. And when you confidence is high you are better at it.

No mate you didn't make any such suggestion its just me adding 2+2 and getting five.

I agree that one can only hope with the manager's efforts in getting rid of our high earners it will give Lambert more to play with but i'm fearful that even if the remaining members of the bomb squad leave, Lambert still won't be allowed to bring in the players who will push us on due to continual lack of finance on wages and transfer fees and that will eventually be a very dangerous game for the chairman to play if he wants to keep Lambert. 

Aaron Hunt's contract runs out in summer and he would do quite a job slotting into that AM position. Fee wouldn't be crazy, granted wages would probably be the stumbling block here.

Udinese youngster Piotr Zielinski would be another worth looking at. Still very young and raw, but lots of potential there. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

I take it thats just your opinion and not substantiated with any fact?

Irrespective, the total wage bill must have come down when you factor in those who has left and whom they have been replaced with and with HH revelation on what type of wages those replacements are on so i think it's now right to question if more investment isn't forthcoming. 

It's an educated opinion and a very reasonable assumption to make. Middlesbrough could not possibly afford to pay all of Given's wages (or even half of them probably) but even if they could it would amount to what, about 200k in total since he's only there for a month.

So yes, unless Given is secretly on something like 200k a week and Middlesbrough are paying all of that every week then I can say with 100% certainty that this deal doesn't really affect anything with regards to the wage situation. If Given were to leave permanently in January then that would be another matter.

Do people think Grealish could play the No. 10 role?

From what I've seen, he's a winger who cuts inside, not an central attacking midfielder. I think he could probably do a job there some day, but I don't think it's his best position by any stretch,

My view is this. Things are moving in the right direction. Team is younger, hungrier and doing better this season than last term. Wages are down, a lot of "wasters" if that isn't too cheeky are away.

The manager works very well with the owner and the CEO. There is a very healthy relationship. In fairness, costs had to be cut because this club was wasting millions a year without getting any results. It had to be ripped up and started again. So while the spending isn't as much as most would like right now it is what it is and if things on the park continue to improve then hopefully the budgets will improve as well.

Anyway.....back to speculation...................... :P

One quick, slightly OT question from me if you don't mind HH?

Are the financial constraints what PL and the team were expecting when they took the job, or has it come as a bit of a surprise as to how tight the budget is?

I find it disappointing that someone clearly close to the manager hopes that the budget improves.

I would have hoped the owner would have made future ambition clear to Lambert at the start of the project.

We don't know that he hasn't made it clear.  Some of us are assuming that he hasn't.

I find it disappointing that someone clearly close to the manager hopes that the budget improves.

I would have hoped the owner would have made future ambition clear to Lambert at the start of the project.

We don't know that he hasn't made it clear. Some of us are assuming that he hasn't.

Well HH seems the most ITK we've ever had on this site and he's not sure what the future ambition regarding spending is.

• Like 1

We don't know that he hasn't made it clear. Some of us are assuming that he hasn't.

Well HH seems the most ITK we've ever had on this site and he's not sure what the future ambition regarding spending is.

I find it a worry to be honest, from the point of view that surely Lerner and Faulkner have assumed Lambert would succeed from the beginning. They wouldn't of hired him if they didn't think he could do the job so it would be nice to know if there is some sort of plan, where after the squad has been overhauled and we're back in the mix above 10th place we'd hopefully start working on going further.

Obviously we understand the objectives Lambert has had set out to him: cutting wages back, overhauling the squad, avoid relegation in the first season. 

If HH isn't sure about finances and such for the future then it doesn't really bode well for having any sort of plan following the 'avoid relegation' period of our club (should we actually move on from that this season).

I'd be a bit surprised if we didn't go back in for Popov... unless the fee is stupid he would fit us well... Not sure who else we could go for but as Lambert does he likes to find "gem" players!! I rather like it, it's far far better than years gone by with the harewood's, Heskey's and Jenas' or this world!!

• Like 1

I agree. But we still don't know how privvy HH is to RL, PF &PL's agreed plan and finances. So until he can say whether he knows definitively or not, we are speculating about any agreed available finances or any of their working 'chats'.

Â