Weather...

Dodgyknees

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Which reminds me - probably one for the "things you wonder" thread, but... why do Americans, in a country notoriously prone to fire, flood and devastating winds, persist in building houses made of wood? Do they not know the story of the three little pigs? 

Lumber is really cheap in America, so it's substantially easier and cheaper to just rebuild your home if something happens to it, than build a brick building

Edited by Mozzavfc

4 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Lumber is really cheap in America, so it's substantially easier and cheaper to just rebuild your home if something happens to it, than build a brick building

Short term thinking. Buy cheap, buy twice. 

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I refuse to believe that

I just gave you a like.  Might be a waste of my daily quota but I won't get down in the dumps because of it. 

Edited by trekka
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Short term thinking. Buy cheap, buy twice. 

Well to be fair wood is a better material than brick for houses in every way except tornado resilience, and even in tornado alley your chances of personally being struck by a tornado are not that high. 

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well to be fair wood is a better material than brick for houses in every way except tornado resilience, and even in tornado alley your chances of personally being struck by a tornado are not that high. 

In every way? 

Not sure it's got better fire resistance, is as hard wearing, as resistant to insects, as low maintenance as bricks but for sure other than that it's better in literally every way 😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

In every way? 

Not sure it's got better fire resistance, is as hard wearing, as resistant to insects, as low maintenance as bricks but for sure other than that it's better in literally every way 😁

You're right, that was an unsupportable hot take!

But they are better in a number of ways, and often the ways they are better make them better for middle America, which is why they use it. Wood is cheaper, more plentiful, and more flexible; carpenters are widely available; and wooden house construction crucially requires less cement (cement manufacturing being both a big source of pollution and really hard to make environmentally-friendly).

I have to take 'in every way' back though!

• Like 1

Â