What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve only been caught speeding once, and that was in Germany where they hide the cameras in bushes so I don’t think that counts. 

I think I got done on Sunday and of course it was 5 mins after the wife said to me slow down there's cameras around here 🙄 they have one that is designed to look like the back of a car parked up, I think the fines are relatively low though and doesn't impact your insurance 

I've been done twice in the UK with enough time in between to do the course both times 

The last one was a mad dash between Stansted and brum Airport, I had a wedding in Germany for the friend of my future wife, £30 return flight from Stansted to cologne so I drive down there, park up at some guys house for the weekend, taxi to the airport, flight cancelled with no other flight available... Sat in the airport and booked a £150 flight brum to dusseldorf something daft like 4 hours time, couldn't get a taxi outside so the airport cos of some stupid app service bullshit thing so ran 5km back to the guys house with my bag in 20°+, jumped in my car a sweaty mess, blistered and torn up feet, I smashed it between Stansted and brum, stayed under 100 but wasn't often below 90, car park right outside the hotel, have to get a train in Germany to get me to cologne, got there eventually, free beer at the wedding so got absolutely off my tits, had a blazing row with the missus who kicked me back to England the next day, the return flight wasn't worth shit so had to book another, speeding ticket outside a RAF base in cambridgeshire somewhere 

My £30 return flight ended costing me over £600 

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My £30 return flight ended costing me over £600 

My trip was taking the missus for a hospital check up (breast cancer recurrence scare - turned out OK, fortunately). It was a four hour appointment, and I wasn't allowed in (covid rules), so she said she'd drive herself. I know she's a nervous driver at the best of times, so I said no, I'd do it. She then suggested getting a taxi, but we decided that would be too expensive. In the end it cost me 88 quid for the course. 

Think I'm one of the few who thinks the course is alright... Both times I've done it the 2 guys fancy themselves as amateur stand ups

Would be interesting mooney what you think of it cos I think theres a noticeable difference in the room between the old uns and those of us young enough to have done a theory test as part of the license 

A few times for me, 96 on the A303 in Hampshire, didn’t understand why the Porsche slowed down and I was proud as punch as my Renault Scenic sailed past him.  59 in the M6 average speed roadworks after we lost at home to Wolves I think for the first time In eons.

5 years living in Cyprus stopped about 15 times, always said I had just arrived from the UK and 14 times got away with it.

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Think I'm one of the few who thinks the course is alright... Both times I've done it the 2 guys fancy themselves as amateur stand ups

Would be interesting mooney what you think of it cos I think theres a noticeable difference in the room between the old uns and those of us young enough to have done a theory test as part of the license 

True, I never had to do a theory test. Although I actually knew more than some of the younger attendees. I think the only thing I learned was that the 'flashing light' speed signs on motorway gantries are only advisory, and not mandatory. 

Interestingly, there was a woman also from Leeds, who got done on the same stretch of road as me, also caught out by the short bit of 30 mph roadworks. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

True, I never had to do a theory test. Although I actually knew more than some of the younger attendees. I think the only thing I learned was that the 'flashing light' speed signs on motorway gantries are only advisory, and not mandatory. 

Interestingly, there was a woman also from Leeds, who got done on the same stretch of road as me, also caught out by the short bit of 30 mph roadworks. 

And me, that's was a new one on me too, from memory they said if it's not in a red circle then it's not the law

The last course I did there were 2 mind blowing things for the room, first is that road signs indicate accidents have happened there previously and if there's a light above the sign then that accident happened at night, I knew that one, what I didn't know was is that you on the motorway you have to indicate to pull out but you don't have to indicate to pull back in, pulling back in is not classed as a manoeuvre 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The last course I did there were 2 mind blowing things for the room, first is that road signs indicate accidents have happened there previously and if there's a light above the sign then that accident happened at night, I knew that one, what I didn't know was is that you on the motorway you have to indicate to pull out but you don't have to indicate to pull back in, pulling back in is not classed as a manoeuvre 

They never mentioned any of that. I wouldn't have known. 

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

first is that road signs indicate accidents have happened there previously and if there's a light above the sign then that accident happened at night

I'd love a source for that, because it sounds like some bollocks made up by a bloke in a pub.

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what I didn't know was is that you on the motorway you have to indicate to pull out but you don't have to indicate to pull back in, pulling back in is not classed as a manoeuvre 

This isn't really true. It's actually not an offence to not indicate in any scenario. Could be used as an argument for careless driving, but it's not an offence in and of itself, and there's definitely nothing in law about indicating to change lane in one direction but not the other, I reckon this is a misunderstanding based on the highway code giving in depth instructions on how to overtake, but not on how to merge back in.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd love a source for that, because it sounds like some bollocks made up by a bloke in a pub.

I've heard that on 2 speeding courses and 1 company car driving course now

If you see a deer crossing warning sign that's because some hit a deer there, if it has a light above it they hit the deer at night

That's how they plan road signs and warnings it's based on accidents, if there's never been on accident on a road then there shouldn't be a warning sign

They also said in my last course that speed cameras are located on roads based on accidents and that a fair few of them are actually switched off because there hasnt been an accident on that road for a couple of years

Fined once ... 117 in a 100 km/h .... 20 minutes south of Britstown ... middle of nowhere. (South Africa, ca 1982)

Warned  once,  106 in a 80 (ca 1989) . The RCMP officer must have been really good mood that day. The speed limit on that road was upped to 90, then 100 and dropped back down to the current 90 km/h.

This is too good not to share.

One of my favourite quotes are from the sales manager disappointed his new car doesn’t have enough “CD” written on the exterior of the car

”it’s difficult for someone following you to know you’re driving a CD Astra”

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

This is too good not to share.

One of my favourite quotes are from the sales manager disappointed his new car doesn’t have enough “CD” written on the exterior of the car

”it’s difficult for someone following you to know you’re driving a CD Astra”

One of my favourite documentaries. 

As someone who owned a CD Cavalier, you need people to know! Pecking order on the road needs to be respected ;) 

What about the guy who got shafted with a base model Maestro! :lol:  I felt for him

You could place someone's importance in the company by their trim levels during this era. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

You could place someone's importance in the company by their trim levels during this era

It’s incredible isn’t it, just how important those letters on the back of the car were. The “L” or the “I”.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s incredible isn’t it, just how important those letters on the back of the car were. The “L” or the “I”.

i for important! :D 

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2021 at 09:37, AvfcRigo82 said:

Has it arrived and how are you getting on with it?

I am thinking of parting ways with mine come August but i'm unsure what to go for next.

Absolutely love it mate. It's the perfect luxury family car. Practical, comfortable and drives well. I would recommend getting one with adaptive suspension albeit the normal ride is still very good.  We also have one with the pan sunroof as it makes it feel a lot better for the kids at the back. We've got the virtual cockpit as well which I think is a bit pointless tbh. 

• Like 1

Got the X-pipe fitted on the mustang today.

Bloody hell.

Was pulling up to the stop sign in my neighborhood and an old dear was sitting on her porch. Waved at her and she shouted “no need for all that!” So I switched over to paddle shifters (it was already in sport + mode) and made as much noise as possible within her ear shot. 😂🤣

• Haha 2

On 09/04/2021 at 04:50, villa4europe said:

Car jealousy! I'd love one of them, I should make the most of being in europe and get a mustang / charger / challenger /camaro but Im in the city so can't justify it

I think one of those would be practically impossible in the UK with the tax insurance and running costs 

I absolutely love it! Makes a trip to the shops good fun. Let alone opening her up on some clear road. 

but yes definitely challenges to owning one in Europe. 

Â