What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

The last car I owned, in the UK from '97 to '01. Two Glastos, two trips to France, lots of Scotland. I cried when I let it go.

hSvCVC7kkp90tj1pcy8DbTdxo1_500.jpg

Mine was slightly darker blue and had orange go-faster stripes :) Happy days.

Your taste truly is impeccable.

• Like 1

I would love to own something like the camper above (my dream is to own a prestine 60's VW but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon). My parents have a big old bugger of a camper - they've said I can borrow it whenever I want but it's bloody huge! 

(this is coming from a man who drives an Aygo). 

I would love to own something like the camper above (my dream is to own a prestine 60's VW but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon). My parents have a big old bugger of a camper - they've said I can borrow it whenever I want but it's bloody huge! 

(this is coming from a man who drives an Aygo). 

VW's look brilliant, but they're a tiny bit small imo. For good road trips with lots of mates I think something bigger is required. Sad thing is that since the old VW's and the Bedford CF, nobody has made anything that looks as cool. Open to correction on this, though.

I've never gotten the appeal of a VW camper van, it's ugly and a Volkswagen.

They're awesome and they're Volkswagen . that's the appeal.

I can see the appeal of being able to see some sights on the cheap and having sex on the road in relative comfort but, beyond those two albeit attractive traits, not as cool as people imagine.

THIS. You can chuck the old golf's and beetles into the same category. I just do not see what people get so excited about.

I know a couple of guys with Mark 2 golf's. Not only do they look shit, they are awful to drive, be a passenger in, constantly breaking down yet they are happy to throw money at them.

Vauxhall_Signum_2198cc_May_2006.jpg

I'd love to have a much better car than what I do have but as I do over 30k miles a year anything half decent is going to drop like a stone value wise.

I have one of these, fully loaded for a smidge over 3 grand and does 55-57mpg. Also has what is essential with a 1 year old and a 3 year old.... an enormous boot.

Very much captain sensible for the jaunt to work and back.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I had a mark four Golf a few years ago.  It was nice enough to drive, but it leaked water in like a Romanian tractor, and I'd regularly be driving it with a puddle of water below the pedals.

THIS. You can chuck the old golf's and beetles into the same category. I just do not see what people get so excited about.

I know a couple of guys with Mark 2 golf's. Not only do they look shit, they are awful to drive, be a passenger in, constantly breaking down yet they are happy to throw money at them.

You can say what you like about campers and beetles, but mk2 Golfs are set aside from all other motor vehicles. The mk1 was good but the mk2 redefined mid range medium cars at the time. The GTI was unparalleled, especially the 16v. And all of this is coming from someone who never saw the fuss about VW as I was always a Vauxhall man. Once I started working on them, then seeing their engineering over the years, I now get it.

372431-kia-forte-2011-verdict-long.jpg

2011 Kia Forte EX. Decent enough, but dreadful on juice since we only really use it for 10-15km runs. Lucky to get 460km out of a full tank which is abysmal. Take it out on the motorway, though, and she's a LOT better on fuel consumption - and would have no bother getting 800+

That said, I don't think I'll bother with Kia again for myself. The wife can't  drive manual, so the automatic transmission is likely a big factor in the shitty mileage, but she's unwilling to learn manual. I'll get myself a junker for about $2000  in the new year and keep that for myself

Edited by P3te

Looking to change my car next summer. Stuck between getting something economical and smaller than my current motor (a 328) or getting something fast. Barely use my car anymore (maybe 50 miles a week) so could justify something a bit extreme

You can say what you like about campers and beetles, but mk2 Golfs are set aside from all other motor vehicles. The mk1 was good but the mk2 redefined mid range medium cars at the time. The GTI was unparalleled, especially the 16v. And all of this is coming from someone who never saw the fuss about VW as I was always a Vauxhall man. Once I started working on them, then seeing their engineering over the years, I now get it.

A Golf as a medium car?

:crylaugh:

• Like 1

2011 Kia Forte EX. Decent enough, but dreadful on juice since we only really use it for 10-15km runs. Lucky to get 460km out of a full tank which is abysmal. Take it out on the motorway, though, and she's a LOT better on fuel consumption - and would have no bother getting 800+

That said, I don't think I'll bother with Kia again for myself. The wife can't  drive manual, so the automatic transmission is likely a big factor in the shitty mileage, but she's unwilling to learn manual. I'll get myself a junker for about $2000  in the new year and keep that for myself

Kia is just a low quality Asian Ford knock-off anyway. Suprised they didn't name the company Frod or Dorf or something.

Kia is just a low quality Asian Ford knock-off anyway. Suprised they didn't name the company Frod or Dorf or something.

Not sure how you can say that (the low quality part) if you've seen the latest Kia range - including the Quoris (not sure if it's on sale in the UK though)

2013-kia-quoris-ip-1346867930.jpg

Kia-Quoris.jpg

Â