What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Posted Image

2011 Kia Forte EX. Decent enough, but dreadful on juice since we only really use it for 10-15km runs. Lucky to get 460km out of a full tank which is abysmal. Take it out on the motorway, though, and she's a LOT better on fuel consumption - and would have no bother getting 800+

That said, I don't think I'll bother with Kia again for myself. The wife can't drive manual, so the automatic transmission is likely a big factor in the shitty mileage, but she's unwilling to learn manual. I'll get myself a junker for about $2000 in the new year and keep that for myself

Kia is just a low quality Asian Ford knock-off anyway. Suprised they didn't name the company Frod or Dorf or something.

Wouldn't they want to emulate something decent though? ;-)

• Like 1

372431-kia-forte-2011-verdict-long.jpg

2011 Kia Forte EX. Decent enough, but dreadful on juice since we only really use it for 10-15km runs. Lucky to get 460km out of a full tank which is abysmal. Take it out on the motorway, though, and she's a LOT better on fuel consumption - and would have no bother getting 800+

That said, I don't think I'll bother with Kia again for myself. The wife can't drive manual, so the automatic transmission is likely a big factor in the shitty mileage, but she's unwilling to learn manual. I'll get myself a junker for about $2000 in the new year and keep that for myself

Kia is just a low quality Asian Ford knock-off anyway. Suprised they didn't name the company Frod or Dorf or something.

Yeah... Ford.

Posted Image

Yeah... Ford.

I knew you'd be on that like a shot. Ford have made some decent cars and some awful ones. Their engineering has been average since inception but has been consistent with their pricing.

I could go into specifics about what they've done well and not so well but I suspect you'd read it with your fingers in your ears.

372431-kia-forte-2011-verdict-long.jpg

That said, I don't think I'll bother with Kia again for myself. The wife can't  drive manual, so the automatic transmission is likely a big factor in the shitty mileage, but she's unwilling to learn manual. I'll get myself a junker for about $2000  in the new year and keep that for myself

They're Hyundai's with different badges these days

3 of the 10 best selling cars of all time are Fords.

Because Ford has a history, going back to the Model T, of keeping terrible designs on the market for decades too long.

I give you the Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis as exhibit A.

Persisting with body on frame sedans for 30 years after everybody else saw that they were shit.

Terrible? they're best sellers. The best selling car in the UK at the moment is the Focus.

Besides, television and film's greatest people all drive Fords. 'Mad' Max Rockatansky, Lt. Frank Bullitt, DI. Jack Regan, DCI Gene Hunt, Walt Kowalski, Det. David Starsky, Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor, Bodie and Doyle even James Bond traded his Aston Martin in for a Mustang at one point.

Terrible? they're best sellers. The best selling car in the UK at the moment is the Focus.

Besides, television and film's greatest people all drive Fords. 'Mad' Max Rockatansky, Lt. Frank Bullitt, DI. Jack Regan, DCI Gene Hunt, Walt Kowalski, Det. David Starsky, Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor, Bodie and Doyle even James Bond traded his Aston Martin in for a Mustang at one point.

You know Spurs? Spurs are Ford. Over hyped by journalists who have a vested interest in keeping them popular.

Some of the old American muscle car Fords are nice looking. I liked the Shelby Mustang before GI60S made it globally popular. Doesn't take away from the fact they're not especially good cars.

If we're going on best selling cars, the best selling car of all time is the Toyota Corolla. Does that mean it's the best?

just checked the top 40 most reliable cars in the UK for this year, there isn't a Ford on the list, though to be fair the Focus bangs in at a solid 68th

incidentally, for a 100+ year old intenational brand, why can't they find a glue or a screw that will keep the capping pieces on Focus and Fiesta doors?

You know, whenever you see a Fiesta and there's a piece of plastic missing between the front and rear doors. Any car can have a fault, having the same fault on so many cars for so many years is simply disrespectful to the people that buy your products.

Is there a more boring word than reliable? And if you want to talk about reliability, my Focus has proven to be far more reliable than my sister's Golf or my dad's C-Class.

just checked the top 40 most reliable cars in the UK for this year, there isn't a Ford on the list, though to be fair the Focus bangs in at a solid 68th

incidentally, for a 100+ year old intenational brand, why can't they find a glue or a screw that will keep the capping pieces on Focus and Fiesta doors?

You know, whenever you see a Fiesta and there's a piece of plastic missing between the front and rear doors. Any car can have a fault, having the same fault on so many cars for so many years is simply disrespectful to the people that buy your products.

What part are you talking about?

reliable is a truly boring word, right up to the point the lady on the emergency phone says leave the car on the hard shoulder and walk up the embankment until we can get there

1473662B.jpg

this bit !

Edited by chrisp65

top 10:

3 Toyota's

2 Honda's

2 Skoda

1 Subaru

1 Hyundai

1 ..................Vauxhall !

most known brands got something in the top 30, even Alfa got one in the top 40

Shocked at the 2 Skodas TBH. VAG reliability has fallen away recently.

Not surprised at the Vauxhall. I assume it's the Insignia. They're really having a renaissance at the moment. From the incredibly reliable GM family 2 engines in the 80s they really went downhill in the 90s and 00s using poor quality engine management systems and they didn't take too well to the emissions restrictions causing issues with EGR and breathing.

• Like 1

reliable is a truly boring word, right up to the point the lady on the emergency phone says leave the car on the hard shoulder and walk up the embankment until we can get there

1473662B.jpg

this bit !

I can honestly say I've never seen that part missing on a Focus or Fiesta and with them being such popular cars, I see a lot of them every day.

1473662B.jpg

this bit !

I can honestly say I've never seen that part missing on a Focus or Fiesta and with them being in all my wank mags, I see a lot of them every day.

;)

Â