What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

• 3 weeks later...

Getting rid of my i20 and after something I can pick up for cheap that'll get me from A to B with the very odd trip on the motorway. I'm awful with cars so I'll start by throwing a couple of obvious choices in... Clio? Corsa? Looking around 04-05 plate.

Got my 328Ci back from the garage and its running great again. Had 2 compliments on it yesterday about how nice it looked. 15 years old and only done 83k miles.

Was thinking of getting rid of it for something a bit faster but I think I'll keep hold of it for a bit longer now 

• Like 1

writing this down will obviously be the kiss of death, but here goes...

Back in October my gearbox started playing up. Nothing much at first, possibly even me imagining it. Then over a few days it got progressively worse, jumping out of gears, failing to find reverse at all unless I turned the ignition off then turned it on again. Finally, it went into 'get home' mode and would only select 2nd gear and maxed out 30mph.

Now, this is an auto box in a mercedes, so obviously this is going to be cheap as chips and a doddle to fix.

The garage told me it was either a fairly simple fix, or a can't be fixed. So in it goes, drained, flushed, reset the codes back to factory settings, fill it up and away we go. So, apparently the way a merc auto box works, is that it has 'open' electrical circuits within the gearbox that are washed by the gearbox oil. Over the course of a trip to the moon about a million metal filings gather, settle as sediment and short out the circuits. This has happened to mine, so it's basically had a bloody good clean. Beyond just an oil change or top up. Out, scrub, rinse, stick it back in.

At the time he told me it would still feel crap for a while but would get better and better as it 'learnt' how I wanted to drive it. It has settings for sport and normal and comfort and all that. He was quite specific not to bother him with calls saying it was still broken for at least 2 weeks.

Anyway, bizarrely, here we are a month later and it now works like a dream! It's been driven up and down the motorway a good few times and around London in stop start hell. Absolutely faultless, I've got my old car back and it's lovely. Who'd have thought you need software reset codes for a gearbox!

In mileage terms, this car has been to the moon, turned around and is on its way back. Determined to get it back just as a sort of hobby or interest. But not interested in it getting back by being a weekend second car. It's got to do it by taking me up and down the road week in week out at, er, within the applicable legal speed limits. 

• Like 1

Missus has had a new Fiesta 1.0 litre Ecoboost automatic. The difference between it and the 1.25 manual transmission is amazing. Ford have shoehorned some zip into such a little engine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had any experience of the big Volvo 4x4s XC70 and XC90? 

Want a four wheel drive for around 5k Not expecting much at that price but want something a bit different to a conventional 4x4

Seen plenty of Freelanders and such like but they just don't grab me 

On 16/11/2015, 09:49:02, rjw63 said:

Missus has had a new Fiesta 1.0 litre Ecoboost automatic. The difference between it and the 1.25 manual transmission is amazing. Ford have shoehorned some zip into such a little engine

Its the turbo charger they strapped on that is providing the zip. 

As you say, it's a great engine, only 3 cylinders too.

Want a four wheel drive for around 5k Not expecting much at that price but want something a bit different to a conventional 4x4

Great cars but won't be cheap to run. The only cheap versions are the big engines with high tax and poor mpg. The more modern engines are a lot more to buy.

6 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Do not go near a freelander 1.

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Great cars but won't be cheap to run. The only cheap versions are the big engines with high tax and poor mpg. The more modern engines are a lot more to buy.

Looked at a few today. 2.5 diesels with 100k plus. But drove really well. 

It's not going to be the main vehicle. Just a workhorse for bad weather or when a big boot is required. So not overly worried about running costs

Â