• El Ahmadi
    • Albrighton
    • Sylla
    • Tonev
    • Kozak
    • Bowery (for El Ahmandi 46)
    • Helenius (for Kozak 46)
    • Robinson (for Tonev 82)

All the overreacters are leaving out the crucial bit of information that is we were playing with a B team too. Seven changes from the weekend.

Guess that ruins the narrative a bit.

LAMBERT OUT!!1!1!1!1!1!!1!-!

And almost all of them were Lambert's signings.

With a first team that barely avoided relegation, how does a full team of players that he's bought constitute our B team?

I'm sure he would of liked to of been able to sign a B team of the quality of Spuds but unfortunately he is expected to do his business on peanuts. None of his signings are proven players. Can you figure it out yet or are you too busy burying the hatchet into Lambert.?

I'm not suggesting that our B team should cost as much as that of Spurs.

I'm saying that considering how poor our first team was last year, if we're going to consider Kozak, Tonev, Helenius and Bacuna reserves, he's pissed our money up the wall. We shouldn't be spending what little money we have on 'B Teamers' when our first team narrowly avoided relegation.

The two main problems for Lambert when it comes to signing players are both money related. Wages & Transfer fees, couple this with the fact that he had to bring in 7 players and spread out what he had to get an average squad. Our wage structure doesn't allow us to sign the type of players who will come in and make an instant impact and improve us straight away.

I personally would of liked the reported 7m that was spent on Kozak to of been spent on midfield but I'm guessing Kozak isn't on big wages as he was signed as a youngster by Lazio so we have probably just matched his wages that they were paying(maybe 20k - 25k pw). So in that sense we were limited again by wages as there isn't many quality midfielders available on them terms.

Imo Lerner needs to sell up or stump as we are only going one way if things stay the same for much longer

Why is everyone over reacting? Spurs had 4 to 5 first teamers playing(Paulinho, Vertonghen, Sandro/Dembele and Walker) we had 3(Vlaar, KEA and Lowton). It was hardly surprising we got out played. The fact of the matter is, for the majority of the game we were competitive. We were never going to beat Spurs. They have one of the strongest squads in Europe. It was a good effort from our lads, we certainly didn't deserve to lose by 4. If we had been giving that penalty I reckon we would've taken them to extra time. Everyone just calm down, we've beaten Arsenal and Norwich this year, was unlucky against Chelsea and Liverpool and played poorly against Newcastle. We'll be fine this season

So you are saying that Baker, Sylla, Bacuna, Tonev, Kozak, Albrighton and Bennett would be nowhere near our first team normally?

Baker and Bennett played most of last season and Albrighton has been in the first team squad for years. Kozak, Sylla and Bacuna were all bought to supposedly strengthen the first team squad and there were others out there that have also been in and around the first team.

It's not as if we played 8 academy players who will never see the light of day again!

Wake up and smell the coffee, the players out there this evening are very much part of our 'First Team' like it or not!

Spurs won at a canter tonight. Doubt they'll have an easier away games all season. Except maybe when they visit us in the league shortly.

Steer was awful tonight for me, lucky not to cost us a goal in the first half when he dallied on the ball then smacked it against Defoe and it almost went in. Then for the third he was massively at fault.

Bowery is an embarrassment at this level. Lambert is playing him just because he's his signing, deep down he must know he's nowhere near good enough.

Not many positives, Albrighton was lively but still not convinced he's a starter for us.

"For me, the worst thing about the evening was 22,750 - The 4,000 Spurs fans in their end sang "Your support is **** shite" and "Your ground's too big for you" and they were right on both counts - I'm sick of the excuses, there are two million people within range of our ground - the support we pull in is shit. I went on my own - I'm half responsible , this club needs us dragging people along with them, take a mate, someone you work with, your missus, your nan or your dog, we need to start getting people into the habit of backing their team - I bet the Royal was packed. I was embarrassed. This isn't a better fan claim, if you couldn't make it fair enough, there ought to be someone who can, the Geordies, the Mackems and the Scousers can pack em in, if this game had been at White Hart Lane it would've been full - where are our fans?"

To be honest, I finished work early. I got the train from New Street to Gravelly Hill at 1915. My wife called me and said she had lots of marking to do. I contemplated getting off at Aston to go to the game with all the fans around me...but truthfully, I had no desire to waste my time an money watching another dire performance.

I gave up having a season ticket this year, the decision killed me, but my choice thus far has been validated. I miss watching Villa every week, but as per previous post, I haven't enjoyed watching Villa for a long time Edited by OutByEaster?

For me, the worst thing about the evening was 22,750 - The 4,000 Spurs fans in their end sang "Your support is **** shite" and "Your ground's too big for you" and they were right on both counts - I'm sick of the excuses, there are two million people within range of our ground - the support we pull in is shit. I went on my own - I'm half responsible , this club needs us dragging people along with them, take a mate, someone you work with, your missus, your nan or your dog, we need to start getting people into the habit of backing their team - I bet the Royal was packed. I was embarrassed. This isn't a better fan claim, if you couldn't make it fair enough, there ought to be someone who can, the Geordies, the Mackems and the Scousers can pack em in, if this game had been at White Hart Lane it would've been full - where are our fans?

It was a poor crowd, but it is a competition not many clubs' fans are bothered about.

Southampton get 30k in the league, had less than 9k tonight.

Sunderland get 40k in the league, had 18k tonight.

West Ham get 35k in the league, had 18k tonight.

Man City get 47k in the league, had 25k tonight

Although the opposition those sides faced weren't as enticing as ours, I don't think it's just a Villa thing.

Steer was awful tonight for me, lucky not to cost us a goal in the first half when he dallied on the ball then smacked it against Defoe and it almost went in. Then for the third he was massively at fault.

Incredibly harsh. Made 3 or 4 really good saves.

Wouldn't be VT without some fantastic overreactions.

Care to explain why they are over-reactions? I didn't see the game but from the sounds of it, it would have been 90 mins of my life wasted. I think people have a right to be genuinely concerned again this season.

Who have been our best players during Lambert's reign? I'd say Guzan, Lowton, Delph, Westwood, Benteke, Weimann, Agbonlahor. Out of them, only Lowton was on the pitch tonight and he's dipped in form this season. Yes, some of the defending is worrying & our home form has been bad for a long time - but you really can't read much from tonight other than the fact we can't cut it against a vastly more expensive & experienced team when all our best players are missing.

• Like 2

Why is everyone over reacting? Spurs had 4 to 5 first teamers playing(Paulinho, Vertonghen, Sandro/Dembele and Walker) we had 3(Vlaar, KEA and Lowton). It was hardly surprising we got out played. The fact of the matter is, for the majority of the game we were competitive. We were never going to beat Spurs. They have one of the strongest squads in Europe. It was a good effort from our lads, we certainly didn't deserve to lose by 4. If we had been giving that penalty I reckon we would've taken them to extra time. Everyone just calm down, we've beaten Arsenal and Norwich this year, was unlucky against Chelsea and Liverpool and played poorly against Newcastle. We'll be fine this season

So you are saying that Baker, Sylla, Bacuna, Tonev, Kozak, Albrighton and Bennett would be nowhere near our first team normally?

Baker and Bennett played most of last season and Albrighton has been in the first team squad for years. Kozak, Sylla and Bacuna were all bought to supposedly strengthen the first team squad and there were others out there that have also been in and around the first team.

It's not as if we played 8 academy players who will never see the light of day again!

Wake up and smell the coffee, the players out there this evening are very much part of our 'First Team' like it or not!

Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla were bought provide proper competition for places, but as I have said already they (excluding Sylla), need time to adapt! Sylla was injured just before the start of the season and probably isn't fully match fit.  Benntt, Baker and Albrighton were our best players tonight and looked like they could certainly do a job for the first team..

Remember. Spurs got to where they are now by buying cheap young players from the lower leagues and abroad. Some made it, like Bale and Walker, others were sold for a profit and replaced with better players from abroad. Villa needed a reset, and are doing now what spurs tried to do a few years earlier. UTV!!!

Not entirely true. Spurs have spent absolutely loads on players for at least the last 10 years. They can afford to do so because they sell some on for even more and the fact that they are based in London and can therefore charge over £1000 for a season ticket.

For me, the worst thing about the evening was 22,750 - The 4,000 Spurs fans in their end sang "Your support is **** shite" and "Your ground's too big for you" and they were right on both counts - I'm sick of the excuses, there are two million people within range of our ground - the support we pull in is shit. I went on my own - I'm half responsible , this club needs us dragging people along with them, take a mate, someone you work with, your missus, your nan or your dog, we need to start getting people into the habit of backing their team - I bet the Royal was packed. I was embarrassed. This isn't a better fan claim, if you couldn't make it fair enough, there ought to be someone who can, the Geordies, the Mackems and the Scousers can pack em in, if this game had been at White Hart Lane it would've been full - where are our fans?

It was a poor crowd, but it is a competition not many clubs' fans are bothered about.

Southampton get 30k in the league, had less than 9k tonight.

Sunderland get 40k in the league, had 18k tonight.

West Ham get 35k in the league, had 18k tonight.

Man City get 47k in the league, had 25k tonight

Although the opposition those sides faced weren't as enticing as ours, I don't think it's just a Villa thing.

It was a decent crowd for a league cup match. I doubt if there would be many more in attendance if it was held at White Hart Lane. I'm surprised so many turned up considering how awful our home form is.

Just how much humiliation are we fans going to accept before we actually ask questions of Lambert/Lerner's running of our great club? Will it take relegation before we actually come to our senses and discard the appalling "emperor's new clothes" syndrome that has afflicted so many supporters? I seriously hope not.

This club is in serious decline and no one seems to give a damn about it.

The attendance was poor, but as i said earlier £20 per adult is just too much for an early round cup game regardless of the opposition, me and my missus would have gone tonight, that's £40, parking and petrol another £10 + food as we would have had to get tea up there and a beer in the ground tonight would have cost the thick end of £70. Its just too much to pay for the product on offer at the moment.

Second best tonight to a Spurs B team with players who would walk into our first team. Defoe and Walker are England internationals, then there are big money signings like Paulinho & Chadli. Doesn't sound like a B team to me.

No excuses for a below average team performance, but that wasn't a team that had played together before.

Yes they had played in previous matches but not in the same team. It was an opportunity, (not by choice with the injuries we have had, granted) for the new players to play together.

So it was no surprise we were all over the place.

Still thought 4-0 flattered Spurs

Incredibly harsh. Made 3 or 4 really good saves.

Onto the debate about the attendance in a second, after shortly getting back from VP I can fairly say that was a waste of monies, effort and time. A Spuds team including record signing Lamela, Germany Under 21 captain Holtby, Defoe, Walker and Vertonghen etc. just took an obviously weakened Villa team (missing 8 first team players) apart, though 4-0 did flatter them; 2nd goal shocking marking to let Paulinho score from the corner and Steer's poor keeping to let Chadli add a third.

Steer was **** awful, rather of seen Given/Guzan in goal and someone please explain to me how Bowery is still even playing in a claret and blue shirt, he isn't even at the level to play in League One and Tonev was once again wank; only positive was the return of Marc Albrighton (my MOTM) who looked lively, creating chances for whoever wanted them, mostly nobody wanted them.

An attendance of less than 20,000 was on par with the game in the last round against Rotherham, embarrassing, Spuds's team included some world class players so I least expected at least 25,000 Villa fans to turn up and support the lads.

Edited by Avflife

Â