• El Ahmadi
    • Albrighton
    • Sylla
    • Tonev
    • Kozak
    • Bowery (for El Ahmandi 46)
    • Helenius (for Kozak 46)
    • Robinson (for Tonev 82)

lot of over reactions here, it was spurs reserves but just look at their squad, we were not at full strength either by a long shot.

yes they had more quality over the pitch but they have just spent a metric fuckton of money.

And against all but one team this season prior to us they scraped a win by a single goal.

Our Jan2013 form is coming early this season, City are going to wallop us. I just don't understand how anyone can find anything positive about this squad other than Benteke? We could go down this season, I am already thinking who is worse than us already.

That was a Villa second/third team out there.  Have some perspective.  There is zero chance Villa will go down.

22k for a league cup tie is not poor.

It is when the opposition is a top 5 Premier League club.

It's a great attendance considering it was for a match between Villa's second/third string and Tottenham's second string.  Everyone who went tonight went with the knowledge that Villa would be using the game to blood players and get others match fit. 

Why is everyone over reacting? Spurs had 4 to 5 first teamers playing(Paulinho, Vertonghen, Sandro/Dembele and Walker) we had 3(Vlaar, KEA and Lowton). It was hardly surprising we got out played. The fact of the matter is, for the majority of the game we were competitive. We were never going to beat Spurs. They have one of the strongest squads in Europe. It was a good effort from our lads, we certainly didn't deserve to lose by 4. If we had been giving that penalty I reckon we would've taken them to extra time. Everyone just calm down, we've beaten Arsenal and Norwich this year, was unlucky against Chelsea and Liverpool and played poorly against Newcastle. We'll be fine this season

So you are saying that Baker, Sylla, Bacuna, Tonev, Kozak, Albrighton and Bennett would be nowhere near our first team normally?

Baker and Bennett played most of last season and Albrighton has been in the first team squad for years. Kozak, Sylla and Bacuna were all bought to supposedly strengthen the first team squad and there were others out there that have also been in and around the first team.

It's not as if we played 8 academy players who will never see the light of day again!

Wake up and smell the coffee, the players out there this evening are very much part of our 'First Team' like it or not!

And its not as if we played some mediocre Premier League team. That Spurs team would finish 5th or 6th and could give anyone a hammering. If you saw the game you would realize that the scoreline flattered Spurs and we played alright. We didn't have important staters like Guzan, Delph, Gabby, Weimann and Benteke and we still remained competitive and on a different night would've got something out of that. There is no doubt that the likes of Kozac, Sylla and Bacuna will play a role. But they'll play a role with our most influential players in it.

I cannot believe people are being so negative after a carling cup game. At the moment we're in 13th place had a good start to the season and it looks like we will not be in a relegation fight. Our home form will come. I have confidence in that. Lambert has done a fantastic job so far and long may it continue. 

lot of over reactions here, it was spurs reserves but just look at their squad, we were not at full strength either by a long shot.

yes they had more quality over the pitch but they have just spent a metric fuckton of money.

And against all but one team this season prior to us they scraped a win by a single goal.

Our Jan2013 form is coming early this season, City are going to wallop us. I just don't understand how anyone can find anything positive about this squad other than Benteke? We could go down this season, I am already thinking who is worse than us already.

Yes but that was the premier league. This is the carling cup. I would imagine the Premier League encounter will be a lot more intense...and we'll, you know, actually play our best players for that game. As for our squad, Gabby Agbonlahor has looked very good at the start of the season, as has Delph and Guzan. Weimann is also a big threat. I think the dynamic duo of Gabby and Weimann can create a sufficient amount of chances for Kovac.

Aah, so we look at the quality of the opposition and then the fact that Villa had a plethora of injuries and then decide at the last minute that this match was worth a pop?

Hell yeah!!! As if.

I was there BTW.

In what universe is pulling a guy's shorts down in the box NOT a penalty? The only thing I can think is that Helenius was maybe a little bit naive to play on there, if he'd gone down and remonstrated he may well have gotten the call. And I can't believe I just condoned going down in the box and remonstrating to the ref, but FFS.

Once Kozak and El Ahmadi came off at half time it seemed fairly obvious to me that we were throwing in the towel on this game and prioritizing the league. Which is disappointing, I thought we might make it more of a fight. Much more disappointing to me than the loss (since I never really thought our B team could beat Spurs's B team anyway) was the way everyone just seemed to give up after 75 minutes or so. I don't mind losing but I do mind not trying.

Some mere slivers of positives: Albrighton worked his socks off and is looking like the player I remember from his breakthrough season. Tonev showed some improvement from Saturday's game. One day one of those strikes is going to go in the net and we'll all have a party. He was better defensively and put in some good crosses, much more team play from him. Good to see Callum Robinson get a little run-out. Can't think of too much else.

In what universe is pulling a guy's shorts down in the box NOT a penalty? The only thing I can think is that Helenius was maybe a little bit naive to play on there, if he'd gone down and remonstrated he may well have gotten the call. And I can't believe I just condoned going down in the box and remonstrating to the ref, but FFS.

Once Kozak and El Ahmadi came off at half time it seemed fairly obvious to me that we were throwing in the towel on this game and prioritizing the league. Which is disappointing, I thought we might make it more of a fight. Much more disappointing to me than the loss (since I never really thought our B team could beat Spurs's B team anyway) was the way everyone just seemed to give up after 75 minutes or so. I don't mind losing but I do mind not trying.

Some mere slivers of positives: Albrighton worked his socks off and is looking like the player I remember from his breakthrough season. Tonev showed some improvement from Saturday's game. One day one of those strikes is going to go in the net and we'll all have a party. He was better defensively and put in some good crosses, much more team play from him. Good to see Callum Robinson get a little run-out. Can't think of too much else.

It wasn't a penalty as Helenius played on instead and shot high and wide, instead of deciding to go down, if he had gone down he would of instantly been given one.

Getting his shot away or staying on his feet do not determine whether something is a penalty or not. He was impeded by the defender. That's what makes it a penalty. Sure, falling over makes it an easier decision for the retarded ref to give, but the fact he didn't fall over doesn't make Verthonghen's a legal tackle. It was a penalty.

• Like 4

To all those crediting Albrighton with a good game... He was playing against Zeki Fryers. Probably the worst leftback he'll meet all season and he still didn't create a chance.

Dire display and I'm sick of it. Liverpool was bad. Newcastle was worse. This was somehow worse again. No attempt to keep the ball at all. I like Lambert but I'm not going to accept another season like last one and that unfortunately is how it's shaping up.

If we scrape our way out of a relegation battle in May again, either Randy has to invest significantly or he has to go.

Edited by Cizzler

Remember. Spurs got to where they are now by buying cheap young players from the lower leagues and abroad. Some made it, like Bale and Walker, others were sold for a profit and replaced with better players from abroad. Villa needed a reset, and are doing now what spurs tried to do a few years earlier. UTV!!!

Not entirely true. Spurs have spent absolutely loads on players for at least the last 10 years. They can afford to do so because they sell some on for even more and the fact that they are based in London and can therefore charge over £1000 for a season ticket.

You might be surprised to learn that Spurs have actually made a profit on player trading during the 22 seasons of the Premier League Era.

While headline deals like Bale, Modric & Berbatov are the ones which most people remember, it's the dozens of Academy players sold-on to other clubs which accounts for the lion's share of the profits.

It's simply a misconception to say that Spurs have spent huge amounts on players....

Tottenham Hotspur Player Transfer History & Statistics 1908-2013

For me, the worst thing about the evening was 22,750 - The 4,000 Spurs fans in their end sang "Your support is **** shite" and "Your ground's too big for you" and they were right on both counts - I'm sick of the excuses, there are two million people within range of our ground - the support we pull in is shit. I went on my own - I'm half responsible , this club needs us dragging people along with them, take a mate, someone you work with, your missus, your nan or your dog, we need to start getting people into the habit of backing their team - I bet the Royal was packed. I was embarrassed. This isn't a better fan claim, if you couldn't make it fair enough, there ought to be someone who can, the Geordies, the Mackems and the Scousers can pack em in, if this game had been at White Hart Lane it would've been full - where are our fans?

It was a poor crowd, but it is a competition not many clubs' fans are bothered about.

Southampton get 30k in the league, had less than 9k tonight.

Sunderland get 40k in the league, had 18k tonight.

West Ham get 35k in the league, had 18k tonight.

Man City get 47k in the league, had 25k tonight

Although the opposition those sides faced weren't as enticing as ours, I don't think it's just a Villa thing.

I didn't go.

I've been loyally following Villa since the late 60's but started going on my own in 1976. Thirty seven years now. But even I now have to admit that the affair is getting old.

Cup games have become a pain in the arse. The matches are invariably shit and our chances of actually winning the trophy are miniscule.So that's why me and probably a few thousand others decided to keep that £20 in their wallet. And it was a good choice.

lets be honest, it was clear from the starting line up that we wasnt making the effort to try and win the game, its like PL accepted we was going to lose anyway so lets just give some game time to a few lads who arent going to see much of the season

accepting defeat before weve even kicked a ball is something we saw under previous regimes

22k for a league cup tie is not poor.

It is when the opposition is a top 5 Premier League club.

It's a great attendance considering it was for a match between Villa's second/third string and Tottenham's second string.  Everyone who went tonight went with the knowledge that Villa would be using the game to blood players and get others match fit.

You are right that is was a great attendance.

However, most Villa fans went expecting us to give Spurs a game and get a result.

We did not expect the abject pile of shite that was served up, regardless of who was playing.

Rotherham are miles behind Villa, they gave us a tougher game than we gave Spurs last night.

Â