Do you enjoy watching Villa?

PieFacE

I look forward to watching Villa all week, 5 mins before kick off I get an impending sense of doom and after the first 20 mins have been pleayed I often question why I'm bothering at all! It's very much a love hate thing.

The older I have got the less I enjoy it, I probably watch more out of loyalty if I'm honest, watching villa is far less enjoyable than it was 20-25 years ago IMO

Seems like the people who have said 'no' have fallen out of love with the modern game rather than the Villa, with the exception of one or two.

Me, I still love it, walking up the Holte steps still gives me a buzz. I think I'm far away from this ever being considered a chore.

i would reiterate what others said. The anticipation of the game is usually much more exciting that the game itself. The journey home to Bournemouth every couple of weeks is more often spent discussing another unispiring performance and why we bother year in year out. Walking towards the Holte before each game I genuinely arrive at VP believing that that days game is going to be the start of a new era - but it never is! Away games are much more fun but ultimately they are just big piss ups!

With relatively few exceptions we havent had much excitement at VP for years and the highlights tend to be far and few between. After 50+ years I am starting to wonder whether it is worth buying ST's each year. 

Watching the Swansea v Liverpool game the other night, I found myself actually envying the Swans supporters who were eventually given plenty to cheer and for all their faults play exciting football. Since coming back to the Premiership their fans have had their monies worth. The mighty Villa however  take us for granted and for the last few years have served up very little excitement and usually its out and out dross!

Lamberts recent comments about the supporters importance frankly pissed me off - just ******g do it! 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

I look forward to every game but once we start playing my excitement 80% of the times disappears after 10 minutes. We're such an ordinary team, we have no creativity and seem to rely on something happening out of the blue. Home games are especially painful, I went to about 10 last season and the only one that gave me satisfaction was the Sunderland game.

Going to away games are always great though, if you have never done it then do so. It's 100x better than going to VP

I look forward to the few Villa games I get to see around London even though I have to pay a fortune to see them and Villa usually lose. It just seems so much better to be watching live football and soaking up the atmosphere at the ground, even though there isn't too much of that at London grounds!

I watch Villa more in hope than expectation.  Often I'll wonder why I bother when there are so many teams out there who are clearly more entertaining to watch, but that's just part of being a football fan isn't it? You can't help who you fall in love with. 

Exactly this. I always had a feeling of dread about watching us, especially during the last three seasons. Its better than being a gloryhunter though, if Sky had their way the league would only be 6 teams, playing each other in the far east on plastic pitches.

But I feel I am slowly drifting away from football as it becomes more predictable and sterile. I haven't played it for years, I am more into athletics these days anyway. I prefer the spirit of sportsmanship and hard work in athletics (well apart from the drug cheats) rather than the obscene, corrupt and bloated world of football. I don't feel any connection to any of our players, and I find the atmosphere at Villa Park pretty oppressive and toxic at the moment. We've had nothing to shout about for so long!

I don't enjoy it but I still have to do it. I am looking for signs that a group of young players will reach their peak at approximately the same time - due to luck, hard and intelligent work or a combination. When that happens, I'll enjoy it. 

Right now, with Benteke so far ahead of everyone else in the team, there will be a setback when we sell him next summer. There will be a transition period after that, and much depends on how much we get for him and how well we use that money to reinvest.

• Like 1

Good topic.

I think the good thing is not knowing which match will turn out to be a memorable game, who knew before kick off against Sunderland that was a nervous relegation match that it would turn out to be infact one of our best performances in recent years?

But I agree I can't say I look forward to home games much now, I'm giving Man. City a miss and probably would've given Spurs game aswell if I hadn't got the tickets for that game a few weeks back.

Away games are better though when we play well and win as we frequently tend to do. In the last 6 months Arsenal and Stoke wins have been great and enjoyable days out as would be Liverpool away from last season for those who went.

I'm really struggling to think of many good home results and performances in recent years.

I am enjoying the Villa again but only because I have massively less expectations of them. I think that was the really, really hard part of the last 3 years to see us going from one or two good signings to be  a champions league side, to a team that is quite happy to come midtable. It is doubly hard as we had the decline under O'Leary and the last few seasons of Ellis. Then we supposedly had the knight in shining army in Randy and Martin. Yet even with a billionaire owner and (then) highly regarded manager, we blew it. Football has moved on and Villa are even further behind than under Deadly.  Either you accept this the modern world of football and we have blown our chance probably for good, or you get totally dillusioned and not go. I just try and appreciate some of the good football under Lambert and take pride in what we are doing in promoting young players. Try to have a laugh and enjoy the game and not worry about the football economy and off the field politics.  Villa is Villa and will always be Villa. The Sunderland game was fantastic last season. A few more of those would be nice this year.

• Like 2

No I don't really enjoy it any more. I used to love it and have some fantastic memories from some amazing games, but these days it's just an obligation. For the last couple of years I've only been to NextGen games as it seems crazy to pay £20-£30 for a ticket to a game I really not that fussed by, so this could well be the first season since 1995-1996 that I don't make a single trip to Villa Park. If I do go it will only be to 'keep the record' going. I'll watch us on TV later, but I have a load of uni work to do and I'll be looking at that as well with just one eye on the match.

I've tried to figure out why I feel like this but I'm still not sure. A lot is down to realising that Villa simply can't compete over a season with the "big" clubs, but I'm not whether that realisation comes from me growing up and loosing my naivety  or the changing nature of football. I think the atmosphere at Villa has declined over the years as well and is not as enjoyable as it once was (although obviously I can't say what it's been like the last couple of years.)

Without games I wouldn't consistently have something to look forward to every weekend.

For me supporting a team to such an extent feels like gambling, as when I was younger I was more of an armchair fan and so I only got fairly excited and disappointed when Villa won or lost, however the more time, money and emotion I put in the more ecstatic I am with a win and the more utterly depressed with a loss.

• Like 1

Â