Do you enjoy watching Villa?

PieFacE

Sounds like a stupid question considering we're all fans. But do you actually enjoy watching Villa play? Or do you feel that you just have to watch us play out of loyalty?

It's a strange question for me. Years ago I used to look forward to watching Villa on TV. With the game against Norwich on TV tomorrow... i'm really just not that bothered by it. It's becoming that way travelling to Villa Park too. It's starting to feel more like a chore rather than enjoyment, to a point where I feel I'd actually rather just stay in the pub with friends rather than go to the match.

However, away days, I enjoy those, win, lose or draw, it doesn't matter. I guess I need to get to as many away games as possible this season as they're always a great laugh.

But yeah, i'm curious if you do enjoy watching us play, and do you get the same enjoyment from games on TV, going to home games and going to away games?

• Like 2

Watching Villa playing is the highlight of my week and not only this week but all of the weeks! Yes we haven't always played "beautiful" football but I love watching us anyway!

Travelled to Birmingham for the first time for the Liverpool game and I really enjoyed myself. Such a beautiful stadium and although people criticise The city of Birmingham I still managed to have a good time and enjoy myself!

yes even under the torturous McLeish season I enjoyed it in the hope we would get a win. I think its more enjoyable support a team that will win 1 in 3 or 4 games than win every week as knowing some of them im sure their is no fun being a United or a Chelsea fan

The emotional involvement makes any game both exciting and nerve racking in accordance with it's importance. 

It's a difficult question to answer, because I don't always enjoy watching us play, namely when we get a bad result. But it never feels like a duty either.

Yeah, without a doubt. Sometimes I wonder why, but when the next match comes around I get a great feeling of anticipation, and when they play well it's a joy to watch. Wish they played well more often though. I admit though, under Graham Taylor (2nd spell) and after I realised how dire the football O'Leary managed to get the team to play my enthusiasm dulled, but Lambert has got a far more entertaining brand of football going on.

Edited by villaguy

Theres been various times when I have lost interest. Certainly when Mcleish was manager I lost total interest. But under Lambert I enjoy watching Villa even those the results are not always good,. The end of last season and our struggle against Relegation I found very interesting. I hate mid table nothing!

Villa Park used to feel like a second home to me - always got a fantastic buzz walking to the ground for a game and often used to enjoy getting there early to feel the atmosphere build up inside the stadium. But I am with Pieface on this - I feel as though I going there out of loyalty and find it a bit of a chore getting to the ground, stomaching the match and then fighting through the traffic to get away again.

I think the number of times in recent seasons where I have genuinely felt entertained and enthused (whether win, lose or draw) has dwindled definitely. I find watching us on TV really nervy too, though that has always been the case with me.

So, with loyalty, it's currently about getting through what Villa actually is right now (which isn't a particularly good footballing club) and hoping (yes, hoping) that things will get better and give me a warm rosy feeling again. What I have said since the Eck days though, is how long do you persist going out of loyalty on the hope that things will get better? AVFC has to compete with so many other things that people can do these days with their disposable income.

My other team, Nuneaton Town, from nowhere, are top of the conference and I feel (at times) as though I could be having a better time of it there. However, I keep turning up down VP. Surely one day, it will be our turn again?

I have said in the past that when I truly feel that we really are just there to make up the numbers, I will probably say sod it and just capitulate and watch on TV or on line, or not bother. It isn't about being fickle either to be fair. I've been going down VP long enough now to have seen some good times and some bad times. 86 to 87 was proper horror show. But those were the days when, although Liverpool always seemed odds on to win the league, all the other places seemed up for grabs. Now, position 1 to 4 is a lock out unless you spend big... and if you spend big, you have to make enough money to play in Europe.

So, which places are currently up for grabs for a club like ours? Which places are we likely to compete for when things get better? If you can answer those honestly to yourself, then you will get a gut feeling as to whether you are just making up the numbers, turning up out of habit and possibly 'wasting your time.' (I did say possibly).

I do to an extent enjoy watching villa, but any passion I once had has long gone........ I got to VP every week and my season ticket is purchased out of pure habit............ I go to the games with Zero expectation to watch a game of football, and terrible to say, I'm not really bothered if we win or lose - it doesn't make or ruin my weekends anymore...... maybe now is the time to hang up the scarf and throw in the season ticket and go and watch the grassroots football which is far more "real"

I pinpoint the Moscow debacle as the day my passion for Villa died.......... what MON and Randy Lerner did in throwing a winnable European competition, when we were in a great position, to chase the almighty pound finished me off.......... Ill never forgive MON for that and never be able to get behind any vision of Randy Lerner's since that day in Russia - no amount of apologies and free supper's will ever get that passion back and I will never ever like the bloke. 

Couple that with the way the game has gone, ie, fans nowadays don't use results as bragging rights, but who's bought the most players this summer as a barometer of success............ I honestly believe a lot of modern "sky" fans would rather sign a player than win a game........... the game for me has been killed........ its all haircuts, wags, stepovers - bring back 1-11 shirts, 3 subs, 16 man squads, reducer tackling, level playing fields, the feeling of optimism on the opening day that we "could win the league" that 15 other clubs also had........down with "tiki taka" and all this beautiful football bollocks........... nowt wrong with a big up and under to the big man..........

• Like 1

I watch Villa more in hope than expectation.  Often I'll wonder why I bother when there are so many teams out there who are clearly more entertaining to watch, but that's just part of being a football fan isn't it? You can't help who you fall in love with. 

Because of work and traveling I can only go once a month, so when I do go I still look forward to it. I also have the option to stop going like under McLeish, I voted with my wallet and went to one home game all season.

But I will say this, nothing gave me the feeling of happiness that 6-1 against Sunderland last season...I was buzzing all the 3 hour journey home...it almost made the whole season worth it.

• Like 1

But I will say this, nothing gave me the feeling of happiness that 6-1 against Sunderland last season...I was buzzing all the 3 hour journey home...it almost made the whole season worth it.

I think this is pretty much the reason why I keep going back in hope that something like this happens again. If I had have missed that game I would have been absolutely gutted.

I look forward to the game all week, with great anticipation.

Match day comes, I'm buzzing as I make my way to the ground, have a pre-match beer then take my seat.

I often watch on in disappointment most matches and trudge home dejected.

After away days I often think, bloody hell, £100 for that day out? Performance was woeful.

I then wake up the next day and can't wait for the next game.

• Like 1

Â