• Delph
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Agbonlahor
    • Clark (for Okore 30)
    • Kozak (for El Ahmadi 67)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 88)

In a nut shell..

We took the piss out of One Direction just before the start of the game, yet Villa only showed one direction, through the middle (nothing out wide at all, Newcastle had it easy by just loading the midfield full of players, no way through)...For me tactics lost us this game, Lambert doesn't seem very good on tactics and seemingly 'panic substitutes'.

I don't think it's very complicated at all what happened yesterday.

We had 3 weeks off so the understanding wasn't really there so it was hard to get any of the kind of fluidity that we rely upon.

We took Newcastle for mugs, they didn't think the same as us.

They were better prepared and did their homework on us. Fair play to Pardew for getting it right.

• Like 2

24 hours later and I'm still **** furious.

1 shot on target against that shower of shite, 26 games without a clean sheet, and what, about 6 league wins at home in the last 2 years?

I think I now prefer weekends when Villa don't play.

• Like 1

Newcastle worked very hard closing us down and competed all over the pitch, we seemed to never get a foot in the game, even when we scored. Guzan kicks to Benteke seemed to be our only outlet.

There was very little movement from our players when we were in possession whch is a big worry for a young team.

Pardew did his homework on how to beat our 433 and we had no answer to his tactics.

Can't pick a motm, not a happy day

Watched game in a bar in zante, typical villa home performance, we were unlucky at times but I thought newcastle wernt great so all in all I really bad result, before game I would of been pissed off with a draw, devastated with the defeat, we just don't know what to do at home

One of the main problem is that our goal came directly after Kozak getting to the pitch ..

At that time , Lambert must have got Weiman out and put Tonev to make it 442 .. Because 424 could work when we're hopeless at the end of the game .. but as long as we got the draw to a reasonable formation ..

Poor, poor performance.

All our weaknesses were clear for anyone to see. Unfortunately they have been since last season and do not appear have been addressed.

We needed a creative midfielder but have not got one. That midfield will not win us games at home. That defence will always be a liability.

Time for Lambert to go back to the drawing board.

The thing is that midfield 3 are all scrappers, theres not much creativity there. Weimann and Agbonlahor dont do the best impressions of widemen, the formula and personnell dont really work. Without bringing in a natural winger or a creative AMF, we will struggle especially at home. But we do have Kozak now who can continue to lurk in the box with 3 defenders around him just like Tekkers to feed off the nonexistant balls we chuck into the box.

Awful truly awful,  so awful I have not looked at anything to do with football since walking out of the ground until now

First half we had no midfield to speak of (and I have Delph as MOTM for us by the way) so second half Lambert decides to actually do away with the pretence of having a midfield and play four up front,  just as we have a corner kick.  Then when it is obvious our midfield are exposed he leaves it until 88 to take of the ineffective (and that is being generous) Weimann (where has the pre contract player gone?).  I love Lambert but strange decisions really strange

Poor all over,  Lowton looked a shadow of the player he did last season,  Westwood was non existent and thaey had a jaded look which is weird as they have not played much in the last couple of weeks

Really disappointed

Delph was the only player giving it a go. 

Why did we not double up on Ben Arfa everytime he got the ball newcastle looked dangerous any other time they were pants!!

The formation is too narrow wieman is not skilled enough to cut in onto his weaker foot and can't cross well enough

I'm still depressed after that game.

Our front three were way narrow in the first half and the gap between midfield and attack was again big. In 2nd half our fullbacks were very advanced and it improved, although they continued to bomb forward after the 1-1 goal and when there were only 2 CMs to protect the defence.

I put this one on Lambert. It's seems to me all that was needed was a few simple tactical adjustments, but either he failed to see them or get the message across to the players. Pretty much a repeat of last season game against Newcastle.

How Ben Arfa was handled, or not handled, was shocking.

Edited by tarjei

Â