• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Agbonlahor
    • Clark (for Okore 30)
    • Kozak (for El Ahmadi 67)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 88)

Well if you can't beat a shite side like Newcastle at home, you don't deserve to move forward quite frankly. That was yet another inept performance to go with all the others we've had to suffer over the past three awful years. I had a feeling we'd lose, bunch of **** bottlers....

We've made absolutely no progress from last season and that Arsenal win just seems like a flash in the pan. We are just so predictable and easy to play against....and another long, hard season of struggle awaits.

Norwich must be rubbing their hands, I bet they can't wait to finally give Lambert a bloody nose.

The international break came at the wrong time for us IMO. We've lost our momentum and we looked rusty today. Newcastle are a much better team with Ben Arfa in it and I suspect they won't struggle so badly this year, despite the best efforts of Joe Kinnear.

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

i know this is easy to say now but i really wish PL had brought barry back from city..this was just the sort of game that  "this villa team" needs right now

i think this 4-3-3 is not suited at home,got over ran in midfield

delph is the only midfield player with something about him from this crop,all PL can do is replace kea with sylla.

fair play to newcastle,they started the same way the last time at vp

The international break came at the wrong time for us IMO. We've lost our momentum and we looked rusty today. Newcastle are a much better team with Ben Arfa in it and I suspect they won't struggle so badly this year, despite the best efforts of Joe Kinnear.

I think other teams will have a much easier time breaking down their defense, they aren't that good a side

I think we shouldn't be too reactionary. Three weeks without a game has done us no favours at all. Theres still plenty of time to turn this around.

I think a fair bit of the reaction isn't Bourne out of todays game, our home form has been woeful for years and since last playing Newcastle, we lost 2-1 again, with no signs of progress.

• Like 1

Too pissed off to fully analysis the game, Lambert tactically clueless playing 4-2-4 after we had scored, should of taken off Weimann (had a shocker today) and brought on either Sylla or Tonev, Gabby missed a sitter and we underestimated Newcastle. Ben Afra MOTM, only Delph deserves any vote on the poll after the team's shocker of a performance.

I think we shouldn't be too reactionary. Three weeks without a game has done us no favours at all. Theres still plenty of time to turn this around.

I think a fair bit of the reaction isn't Bourne out of todays game, our home form has been woeful for years and since last playing Newcastle, we lost 2-1 again, with no signs of progress.

It improved the second half of last season but yes our home form is a concern. We cant afford to start games as poorly as we started todays. I still say the fixture scheduling has really screwed us.

It was poor - we looked like a team that had spent a fortnight with people telling them they were good, like we just had to turn up. Newcastle were tactically very good, telling us they'd stop us playing through them and forcing us over the top - in essence they asked us the question from elsewhere - are you the new Stoke? If we were we'd have won.

No width, no drive and no invention I'm afraid and we got at least what we deserved. A corner or set piece looked the only way we'd score and so it proved.

Guzan 7 - A few decent stops.

Lowton - 5 - Nothing particularly bad, but didn't seem to manage to do anything well.

Vlaar - 6 - Solid

Clark - 6

Luna - 6 - Got forward more in the second half, but seemed to suffer from the same fear of corner flags as the rest of our team - no one pushed into the corners

Delph - 7 - Our best player on the day - he at least tried to drive past people and showed a bit of aggression

Westwood - 5 - He can't win a midfield, he can play the ball around well once you have, but if you don't have the ball he can't be effective - our midfield were swamped from the off

El Ahmadi - 6 - a mix of the other two (with an occassionally faint heart)

Agbonlahor - 7 - The nearest we had to creativity was Gabby running at people.

Weimann - 6 - Hard work is great, hard work to no particular purpose not so much

Benteke - 5 - A Darren Bent special - half arsed with a goal - he needs a kick up the arse -he's got 5 goals already this season.

I hope Okore is okay - in games where he's not expected to be our playmaker he'll be needed a lot more than today. I felt a bit for the new boy, we brought on a second big striker and promptly gave up on the idea of crossing the ball or playing it into the area - the only player that seemed to want to try to find Benteke or Kozak was Guzan.

Not good enough, fair play to Newcastle for getting the plan right, the manager will need to give these a rocket or think about changing the shape. Three league defeats on the bounce, 16th in the table and facing up to a long hard season.

• Like 1

Unacceptable performance. Terrible all around. I've said all along, it's not good enough to be plucky losers against anyone.

That wasn't plucky though, it was lame. We need to show some progress this season otherwise Lambert might find himself under pressure, especially after trash like that.

I wander if Lambert regrets not buying a creative midfielder? Still think we'll get 3pts away at Norwich.

as said earlier.. should have brought barry back from city.. would have made a difference ..to **** late now hes at cash strapped everton

I think Newcastle were happy to play a 4-5-1 and let our back four have the ball - our full backs were too worried about Remy and Ben Arfa to join in the midfield and our centre halves were never going to risk trying to dribble through the middle. Once that was set up, our front six were up against nine Newcastle players - our CB's couldn't find a midfielder in amongst that, Gabby and Weimann didn't give enough width and we had nowhere to go - in the first forty-five minutes, we struggled to even get out of our own half. Fair play to them, they figured us out and shut us down - the worrying thing is how easy that is and how little we seem to be able to do about it.

One bad loss and cue the razor blades for slashing the wrists, predictable.

Made to look like schoolboys again, no midfield general in the side, a captain only in name and a left back that can't defend. Ben Arfa will not have an easier game this season, you know he is going to cut in left so show him the right, don't just run with him and admire your sloppy work.This will be another frustrating season.

Right just back. 2 lane motorways, you just have to love it. Well that’s the early season optimism gone then isn’t it?!

From my view point of the upper trinity (literally row z-£10 on Viagogo thank you) looking down on the Hoi Polloi of the rest it was a painful reminder of all the bad bits of last season.  The midfield looked lightweight, the defence always looks like it’s one cock up from letting in a goal, and if Benteke has a bad day at the office, no one else seems likely to do stuff. Pardew tactically outsmarted Lambert which is a bit worrying as Newcastle were supposed to be ‘the club in crisis’ . They scored early and sat back making it hard for us to score from our favoured position of on the counter attack. Ben Arfra was different gravy than anyone else on the pitch. Delph, Westwood, Weimann and Lowton all had poor games and gave the ball away far too often. We played far too narrow and no one put in a quality cross or set piece all match. I thought Lambert would have done some subs far earlier in the game- bringing on Tonev with 4 minutes to go was pointless.  In fairness we improved second half and a draw should have been a fair result, but we pressed the self destruct button on the second goal.

The atmosphere, like the players was poor. From my view up in the gods it really showed how many people bugger off 5 minutes before half time and at the end. The Holte must have been half empty by the final whistle, but with this performance I suppose I understand. 9 wins in 40 home league wins aint good enough. Its puts pressure on the away matches. We need to have a plan b or c when things are not going is way. Today is hopefully just a setback, and not a picture of what this season will bring. Arsenal was probably not how we will play all the season and Newcastle will hopefully not be either. Onwards and upwards. UTV.

Â