Peaky Blinders

AndyBM

My nan was born in Essex street just round the corner from the back to backs on Hurst street in 1906 and grew up in that area, left when she was a bout 25, It's pretty safe to assume that was were she got her accent from, and her accent was no different to the Brummie accent you hear today. if it differed from a stereotypical example it was a bit lighter, that's all, her accent never changed in all the time i knew her up until she died in 2004 so i guess it's safe to assume it's the same one she developed as a child growing up in town just after the turn of the 20th century

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

• 3 weeks later...

yep i agree

I think after 2 episodes of me bigging up Murphy and O'Neil the missus said to me Anderson as the older brother is the one, she's not far wrong (can't let her be right obviously) he's brilliant in it

he probably is the best character on the show although i dont think they quite know what to do with him

• 1 year later...

yeah he's joined the cast, must be close to wrapping by now, we were building a new visitors centre at the BCLM and they got to chatting to the museum and a couple of the blokes involved with it, did get told some figures that the BBC pay them to use it, its not cheap! they also filmed a couple of scenes one week and then came back to shoot some more and we'd removed several trees that were in the background, they werent happy

• 3 weeks later...

Don't let the close proximity of the "Marquis of Lorne" and the "Garrison" spoil what is a great depiction of Old Brum and its characters.

Perhaps someone else can come along and do one based on " Summer Lane" which was a real tough stretch of road in its notorious hey day.....even the dogs had tattoo's....that would be more in line with Villa Country, however the "Peaky Blinders" patch was only down the road from our turf....even West Bromwich got in on the act during the series.

Its Cinema and the accuracy doesn't matter, The accent will get better ( they say its one of the most difficult to mimmick)

I think its great....can't wait for series 3

On 10/14/2014 at 08:50, sheepyvillian said:

The whole razor blade thing is nothing but myth , as for the accents , well the less said the better . Aside from that it's watchable .

ejector seats in James Bond was too...

where's your sense of adventure.;)

Ps seriously, I don't think it was a myth, even the Teddy boys in the 50's used to sew them in to their lapels

Edited by TRO

• 3 months later...

This starts up again in just over a week, feels like ages since it was last on.

I must be looking forward to it as I had a dream about the show last night. It was "peaky blinders" but it had a weird cross over with the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom "goodnight sweetheart" where Garry Sparrow time travelled back to the twenties and had dealings with the Shelby's. 

I was slightly disappointed to find it was only a dream.

• Like 2

Â