Peaky Blinders

AndyBM

ymSjeH6.gif

I don't know if it makes a difference, but that woman is supposed to be from Ireland and I think they've tried to make her stand out as this irresistible beauty. The other women have a different style.

Edited by packoman

Was put off by the trailers. The mens' fashions and hairstyles looked authentic for the period, but - as is the case in 90% of these historical dramas - the women (hair, makeup) just looked 'now'.

Won't be watching.

EDIT: This is what I mean...

Peaky Blinders "Edwardian" woman:

Peaky-blinders-gif-cillian-murphy-345634

Actual Edwardian women:

Edwardian.jpg

So you won't be watching purely because the women's hairstyles aren't right?

Well that's oversimplifying things, but basically, yeah. 

For me, historical drama has to make the most of the historical context, or there is no point to it - you might as well make a crime drama about the present day. So many series made in recent years (The White Queen, Rome, The Tudors, etc.) are just contemporary drama in costume - there is no sense of "otherness". The Americans do it better - Boardwalk Empire isn't perfect, but it's streets ahead of what we've been churning out.

8t2o.jpg

Get thee to watch Mad Men, Mike!

Here's a 'cool story bro' moment.

On the way to Malta once, I met up with some of my Uni mates before taking the coach down to Luton Airport. My first mate was from Wolverhampton and my other mate was from Shrewsbury.

I started taking the piss out of the guy from Wolvo, due to the way he spoke and they guy from Shrewsbury said: "Why the hell are you laughing, you both sound the same!"

Now I know for a fact that I sound nothing like this guy, I have a very neutral brummie accent and most of my local friends say I don't sound brummie at all but have a very neutral English accent.

The end.

This....

Being a yam yam I have had 'brummies' try and take the piss over the years, but to anyone more than 30 miles from us we all sound as daft as each other.

I've always said that in the league table of shit accents yam yam is top with brummy a very close second!

A nice kipper tie in acocks grine anyone :-)

8t2o.jpg

Get thee to watch Mad Men, Mike!

Yeah, like I said, the Americans tend to do it better (these days, anyway ). Mad Men does look pretty authentic, I agree.

I probably will watch it eventually, but the subject matter doesn't greatly grip me, TBH. 

ymSjeH6.gif

I don't know if it makes a difference, but that woman is supposed to be from Ireland and I think they've tried to make her stand out as this irresistible beauty. The other women have a different style.

she should be banned from singing in any more episodes

• 2 weeks later...

not sure where else I said this, my only thoughts were it could easily have been the last episode rather than the penultimate, and the girl -

its getting to the stage where its got to become obvious to tommy whats happening and who she really is, hoping for some mind blowing twist in the last episode, can see her getting killed and Sam Neil sticking round next series for revenge

the scene at the end between tommy and Arthur was great

If you missed this you should really try and see it on catch up. Yes there were flaws but it was a very good drama series. The accents were undoubtedly different in the inner city back then. Even as late as the 50s and 60s many Brummies around small heath, Saltley & Aston were from Irish stock and this had an influence of the accents of many. Unfortunately as has been said they had to go to Liverpool for the street scenes but I can remember the area around the Garrison Tavern in the late 50s and 60s and even then it was very much the same with grubby back to back terrace houses leading straight on to the street (I lived in a similar one in Saltley with outside bogs shared with the neighbours!) where people lived cheek by jowl to the local brass foundry.

Like much historical fiction there are major inaccuracies such as the fact the actual "Peaky Blinders" were in reality no longer around in 1919 but the Brummie gangs were truly very involved in providing protection (and the racketeering) at race meetings all over the country and were often at war with London "race" gangs.

For pure entertainment value it was a great series and I look forward to series 2.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

hadn't thought of this myself but saw one of my mates on facebook say about the end -

did he shoot her, did he shoot himself or was it all just for effect? personally I still think he shot her as he's a much bigger actor, bigger character and gives the 2nd series more development as she was leaving and he'll be on a vendetta

was a good ending, still struggling with polly's accent and she gets some of the best scenes, will be interesting to see how it does at the baftas, because its been excellent overall but its been a very good year for tv

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching this - did the series in 3 sittings and thought it was really decent and looking forward to the 2nd series.

I suppose some of the appeal was seeing something filmed about Birmingham's history and hearing the accent on mainstream tv!!!

Yes, some accents are ropey - I thought Arthur had the most realistic (sounded just like my grandad when I was a child) and Tommy's wandered around a little too much

Impressed with Sam Neil too - I've read he has links with Ireland, with his father stationed there and he also called upon the services of Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt to help him out with the accent!

I've just finished it too, thought it was great. Nice to put Brum out there a bit and you can see the BBC spared no expense, the production value was great. As for the accents, a bit hit and miss, but I do think Cillian Murphy's gradually improved (or I got used to it).

You could tell who the real Brummie's in the cast were and they all had smaller roles, the two younger Shelby's, the bar man, the copper and if course Benjamin Zepheniah. I guess it's hard to find genuine Brummie actors due to Brummie previously being more or less banned from main stream TV.

All in all a great drama though and very much looking forward to series 2.

Impressed with Sam Neil too - I've read he has links with Ireland, with his father stationed there and he also called upon the services of Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt to help him out with the accent!

was actually born here which ive only found out recently myself

I suppose some of the appeal was seeing something filmed about Birmingham's history and hearing the accent on mainstream tv!!!

Some of it is wholly inaccurate though, I mean I know the Garrison pretty well and the TV rendition of it was shit. You couldn't even see Big John's Chippy or Halfords! 

• 5 months later...

Series 2 definitely in production now, spotted them filming in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago. I presume it was them anyway judging by the location (one used in series 1) and the amount of extras wearing the clothes of the period with the requisite flat caps milling around

Series 2 definitely in production now, spotted them filming in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago. I presume it was them anyway judging by the location (one used in series 1) and the amount of extras wearing the clothes of the period with the requisite flat caps milling around

Tom Hardy has been training at the Virgin gym at Five Ways too

Â