Peaky Blinders

AndyBM

I couldn't get past the bizarre array of accents.

If something is set in Liverpool, they're mainly scouse.

If something is set in Manchester, they'd better be authentic Manc otherwise the Mancs would kick off about it.

If something is set in Birmingham........

?

Don't get it it. They say it's supposed to be authentic, I get that. But it doesn't sound like a melting pot of culture to me. It sounds like a lot of actors trying to put some kind of Brummie accent on and it mainly sounding like their native accents. I got South African, Scouse and Irish.

I don't mind skirting between yam and Brum, that's understandable and actually authentic. Cillian Murphy's Irish Brum sounds good. But my good there's a lot of nonsense in there.

It seems like they are now admitting that the accents weren't always spot on in the first series:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bir...m-26457492
But overall in series one, director Colm McCarthy conceded "there was a struggle with the accents the first time around".
He said in the first series "a lot of people were cast at the last minute" and were "having to play catch up" with the accents, but this time they have two new actors with Birmingham accents after auditions in the city.

But isn't it supposed to be the accents from that time which were probably very different from the ones today?

The accents didn't bother me at all, I actually liked them but maybe that's because I'm not from over there.

Edited by packoman

Yep they are and Cillian studdied several accents from that period. I agree I couldn't care less about the accents, the performances are what counts. To have Cillian Murphy and Sam Neil in the first series was a big plus...Don't know Sam Neil is in the second series!

I loved this show. It was a real window into something I knew nothing about previously.

One thing I couldn't reconcile though was the West Indian preacher bloke. Would I be correct in saying that there would not have been a particularly high Caribbean population in Birmingham in the post WW1 era? I also got the idea they were portraying him as a Rastafarian, but Rastafarianism didn't emerge until the 1930s.

I loved this show. It was a real window into something I knew nothing about previously.

One thing I couldn't reconcile though was the West Indian preacher bloke. Would I be correct in saying that there would not have been a particularly high Caribbean population in Birmingham in the post WW1 era? I also got the idea they were portraying him as a Rastafarian, but Rastafarianism didn't emerge until the 1930s.

1) Black People did exist in the UK in this period, slavery ended a long time before. They weren't as common place as in todays multicultural city but there would have been enough of them around for a black person to be a reasonably common sight in working class communities.

2) Correct on the Rastafarian point but is anyone going to tell Benjamin Zephaniah to cut off his dreads for an acting part? Doubt it and I really don't think it matters. He's a big Villa fan too

• Like 1

There were 2 accents I had a problem with, the sisters commie fella and the auntie, considering the auntie got rave reviews I found her even more frustrating

I think after 2 episodes of me bigging up Murphy and O'Neil the missus said to me Anderson as the older brother is the one, she's not far wrong (can't let her be right obviously) he's brilliant in it

But isn't it supposed to be the accents from that time which were probably very different from the ones today?

The accents didn't bother me at all, I actually liked them but maybe that's because I'm not from over there.

This begs the question, how would anybody know?  That line about it being how Brummies spoke 100 years ago was just a cop out. 

Â